Notices
The Watch Forum Show & Sell Your Favorite Time Pieces Here!

LÜM-TEC Watches

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 11:23 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
LÜM-TEC Watches

I have been learning a lot about watches from you all and have a small collection of sub $500 pieces (Nixon, Invicta, Citizen, Wegner) that I am looking to expand upon. However, I don't want to keep spending relatively small amounts of money if they are all equally "cheap". I suppose what I am driving at here is this, are there enough differences in quality and movement between the $250 watches and the $700 watches to justify the price leap? At which price point do you get into what you lot would call "real watches"?

I very much like these LÜM-TEC watches and would like to pick up one of them, but am wanting to know what the leap in price is getting me over some of my other watches (aside from the looks). What does this: "Full feature heavy duty movements" mean?

Does anyone have one of these watches? Experiences?

LÜM-TEC -

Last edited by Barrister; 02-28-2010 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:35 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
evosky is on a distinguished roadevosky is on a distinguished roadevosky is on a distinguished roadevosky is on a distinguished roadevosky is on a distinguished roadevosky is on a distinguished roadevosky is on a distinguished road
i don't have any real experience with $500+ watches, but in terms of actual timekeeping, it's pretty safe to say that modern, "cheap" $10-$300 watches will keep the same as or even more accurate time than $500+ pieces. it's down to the fact that today's manufacturing and build for mass-produced watches is actually pretty good now. that $50 Casio will probably keep as good time as that $300 Seiko, which in turn probably keeps just as good time as that $600 Tissot.

i believe once you get into the $1K+ playground, you're paying for glamour and exclusivity, not necessarily timekeeping. the movements in those watches are definitely more intricate, but part of the price is also compensating for exotic materials and handmade quality. i also believe when you get into that price range, definitely go into the shop for feel and seeing it in person.

maybe this "full feature heavy duty movements" just means that the watch has very consistent and precise movement, another way of saying that the watch works as it is supposed to ... and i've never heard of LUM-TEC. i think you can do better for the same amount of money.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:12 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
I have 1 LUM TEC watch. It's 2009 M Chrono; chrome with orange. And I love it. Get tons of comments. Great durability. For the money, it's hard to say anything bad about this watch. AND they're numbered. So once that collection run is done- it's done.

I know the owner as well, so if you want I can pass you his information along.

Thumbs up man.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:18 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by evosky
i don't have any real experience with $500+ watches, but in terms of actual timekeeping, it's pretty safe to say that modern, "cheap" $10-$300 watches will keep the same as or even more accurate time than $500+ pieces. it's down to the fact that today's manufacturing and build for mass-produced watches is actually pretty good now. that $50 Casio will probably keep as good time as that $300 Seiko, which in turn probably keeps just as good time as that $600 Tissot.
Why not just buy a replica?

You need to meet Saudi_Ferrari!

Old 03-01-2010, 01:26 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
evosky is on a distinguished roadevosky is on a distinguished roadevosky is on a distinguished roadevosky is on a distinguished roadevosky is on a distinguished roadevosky is on a distinguished roadevosky is on a distinguished road
you do have a point with replicas .... but i like genuine articles. it just doesnt feel right to me to wear a fake.

anyway back on topic. seems like LUM-TEC would be a good choice if that's the styling that you like.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:58 PM
I need pos rep like Hulkamania NOW!
Brobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Barrister
Why not just buy a replica?

You need to meet Saudi_Ferrari!

However, unlike Saudi, CTZN has yet to post photos of oiled men is Speedo's smiling in a way that makes me uncomfortable.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:03 PM
Teamspeed Pro
tractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by STOPPIE
Ask him to make some titanium models for those of us allergic to nickle.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:07 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tractorcrusher
I'm pretty sure they do. You might just want to check out the lum-tec website though.

To the OP: what about Hamilton watches? They're really nice as well and use Swiss-made automatic and quartz movements.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:31 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ctzn You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by STOPPIE
I have 1 LUM TEC watch. It's 2009 M Chrono; chrome with orange. And I love it. Get tons of comments. Great durability. For the money, it's hard to say anything bad about this watch. AND they're numbered. So once that collection run is done- it's done.

Thumbs up man.
Many thanks for the input, I sent along an email to their info@ line, as I see that the order sheet for the upcoming 2010 models is getting close. I really like the 2009 M models though. Is it safe to say that due to their limited numbers they will hold value relatively well?

Originally Posted by Brobbins016
However, unlike Saudi, CTZN has yet to post photos of oiled men is Speedo's smiling in a way that makes me uncomfortable.
Wait till you get to know me

My home town is Madison so I think you have a pretty good idea of what kind of a guy I am

Originally Posted by tractorcrusher
I see in their 2010 lineup they have quite a few tungsten options available.

Originally Posted by Alzilla
I'm pretty sure they do. You might just want to check out the lum-tec website though.

To the OP: what about Hamilton watches? They're really nice as well and use Swiss-made automatic and quartz movements.
Still learning about the Hamilton's, I guess I have yet to find a model that really does it for me in their range, though I admittedly have not looked too hard. I really like the simple faces, something about the lum-tec's remind me of a Panerai face. Thanks for the suggestion though, I will be sure to check out their site.

Many thanks for the input guys...

Old 03-01-2010, 02:38 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
quattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alzilla
what about Hamilton watches?
There's just something that doesn't sound right about the name. Can't put my finger on it.

Quick Reply: LÜM-TEC Watches