Notices
The Watch Forum Show & Sell Your Favorite Time Pieces Here!

Got the bug... Chopard Mille Miglia or Tag Heuer Grand Carrera...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009 | 01:06 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
I purchased my Chopard Mille Miglia Gran Turismo XL a few months back. I had been looking at the watch for quite some time and finally pulled the trigger. I have not regretted it one bit. In fact, I love it in every way. It is quite an exclusive and unique watch out here in Southern California. And since it has an autosport theme, it is a great conversation starter on my favorite subject. The case is large enough to look substantial but not too large to be gaudy. The band - made of actual Dunlop tire rubber - is just plain cool. And if you get the limited edition, you get the power reserve meter that looks like the old Ferrari gas gauge and the race map engraved on the back. On top of all that, it has a CSOC certified automatic movement. The stainless steel version - like mine - runs around $7,000 MSRP out the door. I bet Stryke could even get you a better deal.

I don't dislike TAG. In fact, I have owned several. But they were the first watches that I purchased once I moved past the "twist-o-flex" and Casio stage. After Rolex, TAG is the best selling watch in the world - so they are obviously doing something right. But I see a Chopard as being in a different league in terms of exclusivity and style. Of course, that is just my opinion.

Here are some shots of my Mille Miglia the day I picked it up.

And here are my other watches for comparison (the pic was taken before I bought the Mille).

Good luck in your decision. Let us know what you get and then post some pics!

Last edited by Barrister; 01-11-2009 at 08:31 PM.
Old 01-11-2009 | 01:20 PM
|
Teamspeed Senior Member
GT3Scott has a reputation beyond reputeGT3Scott has a reputation beyond reputeGT3Scott has a reputation beyond reputeGT3Scott has a reputation beyond reputeGT3Scott has a reputation beyond reputeGT3Scott has a reputation beyond reputeGT3Scott has a reputation beyond reputeGT3Scott has a reputation beyond reputeGT3Scott has a reputation beyond reputeGT3Scott has a reputation beyond reputeGT3Scott has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks Barrister, like that Chopard, and it's true that close to $4k seems like a lot for a Tag. But I do like those Grand Carreras....

Old 01-11-2009 | 01:29 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GT3Scott
Thanks Barrister, like that Chopard, and it's true that close to $4k seems like a lot for a Tag. But I do like those Grand Carreras....
I like the Grand Carrera. Hey, it's the watch Lewis Hamilton wears and endorses - how could I not love it?!

The Mille comes with a lot of cool extras too. They give you an embroidered bag that has a license plate frame, a Mille Miglia gas gauge, a cloth map of the race and a bunch of other cool stuff. At the Chopard store in South Coast Plaza (Costa Mesa) they deliver the watch with some fanfare and break out champagne and such. I am not a drinker but appreciated it nonetheless.

Last edited by Barrister; 01-11-2009 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-11-2009 | 01:55 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Redlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond repute
I have an ooold Tag, nice watch, but that Chopard is very classy.

Old 01-11-2009 | 04:10 PM
|
Teamspeed Senior Member
GT3Scott has a reputation beyond reputeGT3Scott has a reputation beyond reputeGT3Scott has a reputation beyond reputeGT3Scott has a reputation beyond reputeGT3Scott has a reputation beyond reputeGT3Scott has a reputation beyond reputeGT3Scott has a reputation beyond reputeGT3Scott has a reputation beyond reputeGT3Scott has a reputation beyond reputeGT3Scott has a reputation beyond reputeGT3Scott has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by slavik
i love my chopard gran turismo XL with power reserve.... so i am a little bias
Very nice. I'm really torn and this thread hasn't helped. Like both the Chopard GT XL and the Grand Carrera Chrono (and RS2... tho dont think it's worth $1300 more than the regular GC Chronograph).

Old 01-11-2009 | 04:25 PM
Teamspeed Pro
littlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond repute
Chopard for me, I'm an owner. Will try and take some pics.

Old 01-11-2009 | 04:41 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
mikemets is a name known to allmikemets is a name known to allmikemets is a name known to allmikemets is a name known to allmikemets is a name known to allmikemets is a name known to allmikemets is a name known to allmikemets is a name known to allmikemets is a name known to allmikemets is a name known to allmikemets is a name known to all
My AD has a CHOPARD MILLE MIGLIA GRAN TURISMO XL on sale ... don't want to break any rules ... if intersted I can give you a link by PM

I have no affiliation to them, just trying to help out both parties possibly.

Old 01-12-2009 | 12:48 PM
Teamspeed Pro
slavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GT3Scott
Very nice. I'm really torn and this thread hasn't helped. Like both the Chopard GT XL and the Grand Carrera Chrono (and RS2... tho dont think it's worth $1300 more than the regular GC Chronograph).
have you tried both pieces on and see which you liked more on your wrist?

Old 01-12-2009 | 03:09 PM
|
Teamspeed Senior Member
Originally Posted by slavik
have you tried both pieces on and see which you liked more on your wrist?
No. I'm heading to Vegas this weekend tho so maybe I'll look. Can decent prices be found anywhere in Vegas?

Old 01-13-2009 | 09:58 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond repute
Chopard for me too

Quick Reply: Got the bug... Chopard Mille Miglia or Tag Heuer Grand Carrera...?