Notices
Travel | Hotels & Resorts | Restaurants & Food Share Experiences From Your Favorite Hotels & Restaurants From Around The Globe.

Planning a trip to Japan

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 02:09 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Pinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond repute
Planning a trip to Japan

So I'm planning on going to Japan with a friend next year, we've really only talked about it a bit and I'm looking to hear from anyone who has gone before. I know it can be expensive, so I think we'll only go for a couple of weeks, and I want to make the most of it!

Where did you go? What was your favorite experience? Good places to stay outside of the cities? Cool car stuff? What's the nightlife like in different areas?

Thanks guys!

Old 04-23-2012, 08:00 PM
Teamspeed Pro
carendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond repute
super easy to get around, exchange rate not so favorable, sushi at all price ranges is miles beyond the US, try to splurge at one of the top dogs.

nightlife will be difficult if you're non-japanese; you'll be restricted to the expat areas (which are still fun) unless you have a japanese friend.

tokyo is good for a few days, kyoto is good for 2-3 days, hiroshima is sobering for 1 day...

- chuck

Old 04-24-2012, 01:51 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Pinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by carendt242
super easy to get around, exchange rate not so favorable, sushi at all price ranges is miles beyond the US, try to splurge at one of the top dogs.

nightlife will be difficult if you're non-japanese; you'll be restricted to the expat areas (which are still fun) unless you have a japanese friend.

tokyo is good for a few days, kyoto is good for 2-3 days, hiroshima is sobering for 1 day...

- chuck
Thanks for the info! I saw one of your threads about the RyuGin restaurant when searching for Japan in the travel section, I may have to check that out, it looked amazing.

What makes the regular nightlife so difficult to join in on? Is there a good resource online for Japanese travel? I've checked out the lonely planet guides and the like, but I kind of like to do things that are a bit off the beaten path.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:01 PM
Teamspeed Pro
carendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Pinned
What makes the regular nightlife so difficult to join in on? Is there a good resource online for Japanese travel? I've checked out the lonely planet guides and the like, but I kind of like to do things that are a bit off the beaten path.
it is a very insular culture. most of the action is not on street level, on levels 2-7, and you have to figure out the signage; and they probably won't let you in.

do your research before so you know some reliable places to go. it's not like the US, you can't just walk from place to place.

- chuck