Notices
Travel | Hotels & Resorts | Restaurants & Food Share Experiences From Your Favorite Hotels & Restaurants From Around The Globe.

Where to get raw dry-aged beef in So Cal

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 11:21 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
trojanman is an unknown quantity at this point
Where to get raw dry-aged beef in So Cal

I'd prefer a place in eastern LA County or anywhere in OC, but I suppose beggars can't be choosers.

Thanks!

Old 05-30-2008, 06:15 PM
Teamspeed Pro
carendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond repute
try to figure out a few good butchers (chowhound should do the trick) and call them up.

whole foods dry-ages their beef for 28 days, but that's not enough imo. start with 40 days and work your way up - there's a point where you can't go no more b/c the fat just turns rancid.

a good butcher should be willing to dry-age the meat for as long as it will hold.

- chuck

Old 05-30-2008, 06:51 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Originally Posted by carendt242
try to figure out a few good butchers (chowhound should do the trick) and call them up.

whole foods dry-ages their beef for 28 days, but that's not enough imo. start with 40 days and work your way up - there's a point where you can't go no more b/c the fat just turns rancid.

a good butcher should be willing to dry-age the meat for as long as it will hold.

- chuck
I have heard you say 28 days isn't enough on other threads, but when you're used to having vacuum packed wet-aged beef, 28 days is like manna from heaven!

I will start with Whole Foods (had no idea they dry-age!) and then start calling local butchers. What can I expect to pay per pound for NY Strip and Filet?

BTW, not to overload you with questions, but why do you so rarely see dry-aged Filet anywhere? I think I've only ever seen it at 1 place in my entire life.

Old 05-31-2008, 05:41 PM
Teamspeed Pro
carendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by trojanman
I have heard you say 28 days isn't enough on other threads, but when you're used to having vacuum packed wet-aged beef, 28 days is like manna from heaven!

I will start with Whole Foods (had no idea they dry-age!) and then start calling local butchers. What can I expect to pay per pound for NY Strip and Filet?

BTW, not to overload you with questions, but why do you so rarely see dry-aged Filet anywhere? I think I've only ever seen it at 1 place in my entire life.
dry-aging is very expensive for the butcher since a) the meat sits around for X days and b) the meat shrinks (loses water, which gives it more intense taste.) they have to wait longer for less product; thus, few mainstream places do it.

most good butchers seem to do it for 28 days on average; and, then, if you ask, you might convince them to go longer. 28+ day dry-aged beef is not for everyone though - the taste is a lot more intense and might be too much for those used to normal steaks.

- chuck

Old 06-02-2008, 04:15 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Whole Foods has Dry Aged Grassfed NY Strip for $26.99 and Filet for $35.99. This is at the new OC flagship store on Jamboree. Spoke to the butcher and he said the machine/storage locker they use is $10,000. They do all aging in-store; it's not delivered pre-aged.

I bought a pound of the NY and will try it tonight or tomorrow. Will post reports after!

Old 06-02-2008, 04:37 PM
Teamspeed Pro
ZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond repute
Whole Foods has Dry Aged Grassfed NY Strip for $26.99 and Filet for $35.99. This is at the new OC flagship store on Jamboree. Spoke to the butcher and he said the machine/storage locker they use is $10,000. They do all aging in-store; it's not delivered pre-aged.

I bought a pound of the NY and will try it tonight or tomorrow. Will post reports after!
Do you ask if it's grass-fed? Because it wasn't written anywhere on the white boards above the deli where they have the filets out. I asked the person working behind the counter (who I am assuming is not the butcher) and he said he didn't know, "but probably".

Old 06-02-2008, 06:20 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Originally Posted by ZAMIRZ
Do you ask if it's grass-fed? Because it wasn't written anywhere on the white boards above the deli where they have the filets out. I asked the person working behind the counter (who I am assuming is not the butcher) and he said he didn't know, "but probably".
I am soon to become a meat-related supplier (pork rinds) to Whole Foods and I can tell you as part of the qualification process they require all meat to be vegetarian fed. Technically I suppose this does not mean "grass fed," but it certainly means no ground up leftovers and no animal byproducts. They also require free-range roaming for 2/3 of animal's life (beef/buffalo only). No doubt this results in higher quality meat than conventional.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:27 AM
Teamspeed Pro
trojan - if the WF stuff tastes very good, and you like it, try going to a local farmer's market one weekend. there are usually one or more meat vendors at the larger markets. rest assured, their meat should be dry-aged and (mostly) grass fed. it *should* be better than WF but the only way to know is to taste.

- chuck

Old 06-03-2008, 12:23 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Thanks everyone.

Tried it last night...a definite improvement over the $9.99 stuff from the regular grocery store, but I really didn't think it was worth 270% more money. Sadly, it was not nearly as good as restaurant-quality dry aged steaks. Perhaps I should try the $35.99 fillet.

I will keep an eye out for dry aged meat from other butchers and try different places.

Old 06-29-2008, 02:13 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Mr.PS is infamous around these partsMr.PS is infamous around these partsMr.PS is infamous around these partsMr.PS is infamous around these partsMr.PS is infamous around these partsMr.PS is infamous around these partsMr.PS is infamous around these parts
I am soon to become a meat-related supplier (pork rinds) to Whole Foods and I can tell you as part of the qualification process they require all meat to be vegetarian fed. Technically I suppose this does not mean "grass fed," but it certainly means no ground up leftovers and no animal byproducts. They also require free-range roaming for 2/3 of animal's life (beef/buffalo only). No doubt this results in higher quality meat than conventional.

Is that for every store, or just that certain location?

Quick Reply: Where to get raw dry-aged beef in So Cal