Notices
Travel | Hotels & Resorts | Restaurants & Food Share Experiences From Your Favorite Hotels & Restaurants From Around The Globe.

Hole in the Wall Burger in West LA Sucks

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 05:03 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Hole in the Wall Burger in West LA Sucks

http://www.holeinthewallburgerjoint.com/

So we were going to go get some 5 guys as a treat today, but for some crazy unknown reason, 405 South was completely stopped and backed all the way down to both Santa Monica and Wilshire. I looked to my left from Santa Monica and saw Hole in the Wall burger, and remembered that I read that this place is awesome by a few reviews, so I figure, how bad could it be?

For two cheeseburgers, two fries, and two cans of ficking soda, it was 30 bucks, in cash, since they apparently either can't afford the credit card margin, or are trying some funny accounting business.

OK, so they are charging Westside Tavern prices for their burgers, I am thinking, cool, maybe I can come here when Westside Tavern is too busy.

WRONG.

The mrs burger had regular buns, egg, bacon, and cheddar on her burger.

Holy mother of all that is good on this earth, the burger was inedible. The cheese was melted on the bun and not the burger - WTF!? The burger was completely overcooked and dry with zero juice. The bacon were these sad looking cheap bacon, and the buns were chewy and tasteless.

OK, maybe that's not the burger that made them "famous."

Mine was wheat bun, avocado, egg, lettuce, onion, tomato, pepperjack cheese.

Nope, also inedible. The bun was hard and tasteless. The burger, again completely overcooked with zero juice. And they must have waited until the burger has cooled to put the cheese on, because the CHEESE WAS COLD!

It's like they tried to have fancy ingredients like the restraunts, except the ones from restaurants actually tastes great (like that picture I posted about Westside Tavern cheeseburger).

Expensive and cash only, and inedible to boot.

Avoid at all cost. Drive up to Westwood and wait in line in the car and get some In N Out. Or drive past 405 and go back up to Wilshire and get some Fatburger. Both are cheaper and about a million times better tasting. So what if they don't have pretzel buns and pepper jack cheese.

Old 06-11-2011, 05:59 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Axxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond repute
Or grab a burger at Father's Office on Montana with some sweet potato fries and garlic aioli. Great stuff, right there.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:46 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Axxlrod
Or grab a burger at Father's Office on Montana with some sweet potato fries and garlic aioli. Great stuff, right there.
As long as people remember the no ketchup rule at Father's Office...

Old 06-11-2011, 07:55 PM
Teamspeed Pro
ZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond repute
^I'm ok with it...the garlic aioli and bacon-caramelized-onions on the FO burger more than make-up for no ketchup.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:04 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
dphouse has a reputation beyond reputedphouse has a reputation beyond reputedphouse has a reputation beyond reputedphouse has a reputation beyond reputedphouse has a reputation beyond reputedphouse has a reputation beyond reputedphouse has a reputation beyond reputedphouse has a reputation beyond reputedphouse has a reputation beyond reputedphouse has a reputation beyond reputedphouse has a reputation beyond repute
Fathers office burger sets the standard for burgers. Theirs is truly exceptional.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:15 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
If there are any OG Burbank people out there, Don's Place used to have the best burgers and onion rings. I was muy triste when it burned down...

Old 06-29-2011, 04:44 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Axxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by stuka
As long as people remember the no ketchup rule at Father's Office...
Yeah, FO can be a little bit of a prima-donna about their burgers.

A buddy of mine, who is deathly allergic to dairy, ordered a burger at FO and asked for no cheese. They refused to make it that way. He explained his allergy, and they told him to either eat the way it comes or not at all.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:30 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
sk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond repute
I love in-n-out burger. Everytime I'm in LA I have to get some.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:50 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
vltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant future
I had Hole In The Wall once. It was pretty good - I don't recall having any of the issues that you had, but I suppose it was just on a good, not-so-busy day. The in-house ketchup was definitely nice.

Father's Office is my favorite LA burger (barring In N Out, naturally), but the no-substitutions thing is definitely an issue. I've read that a lot of people feel an air of pretentiousness from it. I personally have no issue, but if people have food allergies or follow religious diets (there's bacon in it), you'd figure they'd allow. Apparently not.

I think my favorite burger outside of LA is the black label burger at Crow Bar in Newport Beach. With bacon and an egg, of course.