Notices
Travel | Hotels & Resorts | Restaurants & Food Share Experiences From Your Favorite Hotels & Restaurants From Around The Globe.

Fiji Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 07:52 PM
Teamspeed Pro
theprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond repute
Fiji Tips?

Hi,

Looking to head to Fiji in about a month or so's time - just wondering if anyone had any do's and don't over there? I've never been anywhere like a tropical island in my life, so really don't have any idea how the resorts etc. work.

Any help is most appreciated.

Looking at staying at the outrigger Fiji?

Cheers,
Nik

Old 01-21-2011, 07:57 PM
Nutcrusher
strebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond repute
Do it.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:04 PM
Seriously. Change it.
BigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond repute
Hey Nik,

Its been about 10 years since I was in Fiji, but I'm pretty sure most of what I experienced is still relevant. We stayed at a resort in Nadi a couple nights which was OK. We then stayed a few days at a resort on the same island as Nadi which was OK too. We then went to Castaway Island for a week and that was fantastic. The SCUBA diving is incredible and well worth the effort to get the "resort certification" I'm pretty sure its only a half day class and then you can go down about 40 feet as long as you are with an instructor. Most of the great things to see in that area are only about that deep anyway. The people are incredibly friendly and welcoming. If a local invites you to their village for a night around the fire drinking cava, be sure to go. Cliff notes; Small Island Resort > Big Island Resort, Definitely SCUBA, seek out some genuine local culture. Be ready to say "Bula" as much as possible. Have a great time.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:34 PM
The black sheep of the family.
vtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond repute
We do hotels over there and iv'e probably been 20+ times in my life.

Any specific questions fire away.

Its a safe country, just don't drive on the road after dark.

Outrigger is a bit isolated so unless you rent a car, dont expect to be able to go anywhere else.

Depends who you are going with and what you are going for as to any recommendations I can give you.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:05 PM
Teamspeed Pro
theprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond repute
Hi,

Cheers for the excellent responses. I will be going with my girlfriend, though we've travelled a lot inside Australia this will be our first international flight/trip. I was hoping to rent a car for at least some if not the duration of the stay, looking at 10 days - someone said that might be too long? Not sure.

Also was told about the dangerous driving situation over there, but not many details?

Pretty much going for sight seeing and my number one requirement for this holiday is to RELAX!!!

Cheers,
Nik

Old 01-21-2011, 09:24 PM
vtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond repute
Are you stuck on the Outrigger? There is a better option in the area at The Intercontinental. Brand new, nicer rooms and sits on the best beach in Fiji as well. Awesome golf course to, but terribly difficult. WIll be more expensive and probably not as busy. But it you are like me when I travel to relax with the GF, I don't want busy. They are both an hours + drive from the airport.

Other options on the mainland are on Denerau Island ( across a 20m bridge from mainland, 20mins form airport ), that is where the Sheraton, Westin, Hilton and Sofitel and golf course are located. Alot busier, plenty of restaurants and more "nightlife". The Westin is easily the pick of the bunch there.

10 days is a while, probably too long to stay in one place to be honest. Have you thought about going out to the islands? That is what I would do, it opens up a whole nother kettle of fish in terms of options and so many places I could recommend.

Driving at night is dangerous because the villagers get loaded up on Kava and drive home etc. Plus the roads are terrible, couple that with drunk locals, locals in general, people walking along the road and sometimes sleeping on the road when they are drunk, and not to mention the wild horses that walk around, it can suck. Driving during the day is all good though, just don't speed. And if you do speed, a bit of cash in hand never goes astray.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:26 PM
Seriously. Change it.
BigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond repute
Love Fiji cava.......

Old 01-21-2011, 09:30 PM
you and about 4 other people bigE

Old 01-22-2011, 03:01 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Hi,

Must spread rep 300KW, but thankyou ever so much. Has given me plenty to look over. I think the Westin looks like the spot for us. The dollar makes it so affordable.

I basically want to fly in, get to the hotel/resort, then gorge on food and drink until they eventually prise me out of my chair to get the return flight home.

Cheers,
Nik

Old 02-28-2011, 07:56 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Hi,

Should have taken your advice sooner, Kurt, but I was awaiting a VERY hard passport process to be finalised. Long story short, missed out accommodation at the Westin. Bugger.

Also, top tip for anyone looking to get travel insurance headed to Fiji - don't use your email address that is 'theprotest@....' - not a good look apparently.

Flights are booked though, so look out for some photos of our trip in March! Thanks again for all the help.

Cheers,
Nik

Quick Reply: Fiji Tips?