Notices
Travel | Hotels & Resorts | Restaurants & Food Share Experiences From Your Favorite Hotels & Restaurants From Around The Globe.

Going to Barca, Paris and Geneva- recs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 02:27 AM
Teamspeed Pro
ashokn225 has a reputation beyond reputeashokn225 has a reputation beyond reputeashokn225 has a reputation beyond reputeashokn225 has a reputation beyond reputeashokn225 has a reputation beyond reputeashokn225 has a reputation beyond reputeashokn225 has a reputation beyond reputeashokn225 has a reputation beyond reputeashokn225 has a reputation beyond reputeashokn225 has a reputation beyond reputeashokn225 has a reputation beyond repute
Going to Barca, Paris and Geneva- recs?

Hey guys,

I'll be going to Barcelona, Paris and Geneva in the next few weeks. Anything you guys would recommend that's unmissable in any of those places? Food, drinks shopping, art, anything really. I'm not huge into sightseeing, but if there's something that you think is worth checking out, I'm all ears.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:25 AM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
Barcelona:

Places to Visit:

Hotel Arts, La Ramblas, Barcelona Football Club, Double decker Bus tour around the City, The Zoo. Walkway from Hotel Arts to the other Marina, lots of nice cafe's,clubs etc.

The Port next to Hotel Arts, lots of great restaurants.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:56 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
famoussas is a splendid one to beholdfamoussas is a splendid one to beholdfamoussas is a splendid one to beholdfamoussas is a splendid one to beholdfamoussas is a splendid one to beholdfamoussas is a splendid one to beholdfamoussas is a splendid one to beholdfamoussas is a splendid one to beholdfamoussas is a splendid one to beholdfamoussas is a splendid one to beholdfamoussas is a splendid one to behold
In Paris make sure you go to Le Bristol restaurant at Le Bristol hotel, it's the best I've ever been to. And closely second Le Cinq at the Four Seasons.

Last edited by famoussas; 12-26-2010 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:10 AM
Teamspeed Pro
ZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond repute
Dress warmly. My cousin just got back from Paris last night and said she couldn't really get out much because of the weather.

Go eat entrecote in Paris. I went to "L'Entrecote", but there are like 3 or 4 which are "the best" depending on who you ask.

Also, the war museum is pretty cool if you're into that kind of stuff. It was my favorite touristy place to visit when I was in Paris. It can easily take you the entire day to check everything out, or you can jump around and just go to the sections you're interested in like WWI and II, etc.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:16 AM
I'm closing this thread.
Alex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond repute
The biggest thing in Yourope since Asange is Tommy Bahama. He does not come highly recommended though, so think avoidance.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:04 AM
Teamspeed Pro
ashokn225 has a reputation beyond reputeashokn225 has a reputation beyond reputeashokn225 has a reputation beyond reputeashokn225 has a reputation beyond reputeashokn225 has a reputation beyond reputeashokn225 has a reputation beyond reputeashokn225 has a reputation beyond reputeashokn225 has a reputation beyond reputeashokn225 has a reputation beyond reputeashokn225 has a reputation beyond reputeashokn225 has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah I heard the weather was brutal. Barca is supposed to be okay, but I guess Paris and London are pretty bad. Not sure about Geneva.

War Museum sounds cool for sure. And I'll check out Le Bristol though I was saving my money food wise, on the higher end, for Rias de Galicia in Barca.

Old 12-26-2010, 02:49 PM
Teamspeed Pro
carendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond repute
what's your budget for food?

jaminismo in Barca is the best ham you can possibly buy. get a tasting of their hams in the back room - extraordinary quality.

i bet you would really like Le Chateaubriand in paris - high quality food in, what i hear, a rock'n'roll-ish type atmoshphere - something like the momofuku ssam of paris in spirit (although food very different), models, late night, stuff like that. all of my 20-something foodie friends *love* it.

rias will cost you a lot - and you may want to skip it - unless my review was *that* compelling :-P if you really want a blow-out meal, i'd do it in paris - l'arpege, gagnaire, or ledoyen - but we're talking 300-400 euros/person territory (which rias can easily get up to as well.)

if this is your first time to paris, just walk around.

l'ami jean in paris is probably the best bistro-type mea in the city. just tell them what you're in the mood for and they'll put together a short menu for you. order the rice pudding at the end - mandatory.

if you like desserts, Jacques Genin is the best in the city, of bests. he's one of the few guys that's really trying to uphold quality - everything is great and their lounge is a nice respite from the walking / crowds of Marais.

- chuck

Old 12-27-2010, 01:15 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by carendt242
what's your budget for food?

jaminismo in Barca is the best ham you can possibly buy. get a tasting of their hams in the back room - extraordinary quality.

i bet you would really like Le Chateaubriand in paris - high quality food in, what i hear, a rock'n'roll-ish type atmoshphere - something like the momofuku ssam of paris in spirit (although food very different), models, late night, stuff like that. all of my 20-something foodie friends *love* it.

rias will cost you a lot - and you may want to skip it - unless my review was *that* compelling :-P if you really want a blow-out meal, i'd do it in paris - l'arpege, gagnaire, or ledoyen - but we're talking 300-400 euros/person territory (which rias can easily get up to as well.)

if this is your first time to paris, just walk around.

l'ami jean in paris is probably the best bistro-type mea in the city. just tell them what you're in the mood for and they'll put together a short menu for you. order the rice pudding at the end - mandatory.

if you like desserts, Jacques Genin is the best in the city, of bests. he's one of the few guys that's really trying to uphold quality - everything is great and their lounge is a nice respite from the walking / crowds of Marais.

- chuck
Not sure what the budget is for food, kinda just winging it. It's probably less than my budget for going out, but I wouldn't mind 1 (maybe 2) meals that are in $Chuckeats price range hah. My girlfriend already got a full cinco jotas leg waiting for me hahah so I'm all set on the jamon front (btw, there's a place here in NYC that gets Bellota for $160/lb if you're interested---it's called Despana).

In paris what I'm really looking forward to is Laduree (for the macarons) and stocking up on bordier haha. Le Chateaubriand sounds right up my alley though, Ill definitely check it out.

As far as Rias, the octopus looked so good, I feel like I have to try it, but my GF does say that there is better seafood to be had in smaller, local places, and I'll probably be getting lots of home cooked seafood there. But your pictures sell themselves (call them to write you a check dude, for real hah).

Hopefully I can actually get out there though. We're pounded with snow here in NYC and all flights Sunday were cancelled.

EDIT: Flight's been cancelled. NOT COOL.

Last edited by ashokn225; 12-27-2010 at 01:17 AM.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:16 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
h-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond repute
geneva
relais de l'entrecote for steak and fries.... only thing they serve
hotel des armures for fondue.
Java for club, kempinski for drinks.. only good on friday and sat and everyone is in the mountains during the winter weekends.
la reserve hotel lounge for a relaxed burger and drink.
go to the patek museum... mind blowing even if you have limited interest in watches (I don't)
brasserie lipp for a lively dinner, nice menu, great service.. they also serve food late (for geneva that is)

Old 12-27-2010, 05:08 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by h-bo
geneva
relais de l'entrecote for steak and fries.... only thing they serve
hotel des armures for fondue.
Java for club, kempinski for drinks.. only good on friday and sat and everyone is in the mountains during the winter weekends.
la reserve hotel lounge for a relaxed burger and drink.
go to the patek museum... mind blowing even if you have limited interest in watches (I don't)
brasserie lipp for a lively dinner, nice menu, great service.. they also serve food late (for geneva that is)
Awesome, thanks. Je pense que personne ici ne sont tout reccomendations pour Genève, mais merci beaucoup! Je vais les visiter tous. Je reste avec un ami aussi, et il sait bien d'autres endroits. Désolé, mon français n'est pas très bon, mais je dois la pratique avant d'aller haha.

Quick Reply: Going to Barca, Paris and Geneva- recs?