Notices
Tickets & Events The Teamspeed Ticket & event Forum.

Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegant

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 02:18 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
jl947 is an unknown quantity at this point
Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegant

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, my name is Jack. This is such a great forum and I've been lurking for quite sometime. Never thought of joining because first of all I don't have cars like a lot of you do here, but one day I will. And second, I am currently a student studying transportation design at the Academy of Art University in San Francisco, and by the end of my program I hope to land an internship at MB USA research center in southern cali.

Anyways, I was wonder if anyone on here is going to the Pebble Beach Concours this year? It will be my first time and it'd be nice to meet some people on here and talk about cars the way we do at school with the instructors, very fascinating. And does anyone else know what cars will be shown at this year's event other than the ferrari 250 GTO posted on this forum and the reveal of the next gen Lexus GS?

Pagani had recently started showing the Huayra in the states and I was hoping they would stop by the event as well...I mean, why not right? Since they're here already and I figured Pebble Beach can't be anymore perfect! I did go on their site and it says...

"The Huayra will next be seen at various events in August, including Gordon McCall’s Motorworks Revival 2011 and Quail, A Motorsports Gathering, both held during the week leading up to the famed Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance."

So who knows.

Anyways, again, Hello and i'm looking forward to what this forum has to offer!

Jack

Last edited by jl947; 08-07-2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:32 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome and take lots of pics!

Old 08-07-2011, 04:07 PM
Official Teamspeed Duck's Fan
BuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond repute
Spend a day looking at all the pretty cars on the lawn, then get your ass to Laguna to see the real cars trade some paint...

If you are a car person in the bay area, don't miss Rennsport!!

Welcome

Old 08-15-2011, 02:05 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
I wish....I will be tired and will have to rush back to school to work on more homework! We are expected to produce 250 car sketches before the first day of school on the 1st of next month.

Anyways...I've confirmed with both SSC and Bentley of SF that both the Tuatara and the Huayra will make appearances at Pebble Beach. And since this year's theme seems to be Mercedes, I'm also stoked to see the new CLS63!

No one else on here is going?

Old 08-15-2011, 10:31 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute
Goes to Pebble.

Excited to see the new CLS.

*facepalm

Old 08-15-2011, 07:20 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
What's wrong with going to pebble and wanting to see the new CLS?

Old 08-15-2011, 07:28 PM
Teamspeed Pro
HarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jl947
It's like going to the louvre to check out the door knobs!

Old 08-15-2011, 08:02 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jl947
I went to PB in ... mmmh '08 or '09. I couldn't be bothered to turn around to look at a Veyron.

You are surrounded by cars with amazing history, production numbers barely reaching double digits, each and every one of them being a historical piece ... absolutely nothing in common with any mass production car. Ever.

I can't believe this had to be pointed out.

Talk to the owners, most if not all know their cars inside out and are eager to tell you everything about it. I'm not a social or chatty person, but goddam I LOVED hearing octogenarians go on and on and on about their car and the stories they've accumulated over the past decades. The best was definitely an older couple, owners of a Nash Healey roadster (although that was at the Carmel concours) ... or that guy grinning ear to ear while telling how he drove the doors off his Rolls Phantom I on PCH, so much so he blew it up and had to be towed home "yeaaaah, obviously the radiator blew up ... I was passing people left and right, they couldn't believe a car this age could move so fast ... I got it back up and running quickly, thankfully." So much awesome.

Now I hate myself for not going again.

Last edited by Zorro; 08-15-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:02 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Damn so that's what I should be expecting from the event? I was told that a car guy should attend this event at least once for experience. I admit that I don't know much about classics...there's a whole bunch of cars on display at school from the 30s but I know nothing about them an wish that I do...so that's one of the things I'm hoping to gain from this event...to get more knowledge about these classic oldies and study their backgrounds and designs.

Zoro, why did you decide to pass on this year's event?

Old 08-16-2011, 10:30 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Sure you'll see the latest and greatest concept cars at Pebble Beach but that is by no means meant to be the focus. The cars actually entered in the Concours are the true story. If you don't know much about them, or even if you do, spend some time looking at them and talk to the owners if possible. It'll give you a whole new appreciation for them.

Just soak up the whole experience as much as you can. You're in one of the most beautiful places in the world, surrounded by nothing but the finest cars in existence. It's truly an incredible thing to see.

I went in '09 and although the parking situation was a pain in the ass, the event itself was awesome. Make sure you get there super early. If you get your tickets in advance, they'll say that general spectators aren't allowed in until 10 or so. This is a lie. Show up as close to dawn as possible. They seem to start letting people in around 7:30-8 even without media passes.

Quick Reply: Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegant