Notices
Teamspeed Green The Forum For Cars That Will Change Our World & Way Of Thinking.

VIDEO: Fisker Karma Pedestrian Warning Sound

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 10:46 AM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow VIDEO: Fisker Karma Pedestrian Warning Sound

VIDEO: Fisker Karma Pedestrian Warning Sound

This is rather interesting as I often wondered about the dangers a pedestrian may face if they are not really paying attention, or perhaps jay-walking and not hearing a hybrid sneak up on them. Well the folks over at Inside Line must have been curious as well and lucky for us they filmed a a short clip of the Karma entering the Edmunds garage.

According to the report: "This sound only happens in EV mode at speeds under 25 mph. Volume and pitch rises and falls with speed to a subtle yet effectve extent, and it fades down, but not out, at idle"

Source Inside Line

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xwcz0PuRyVQ

Here I'm driving a 2012 Fisker Karma into a shop while my friend Scott shot a short video clip. The Fisker Karma is a plug-in hybrid that can run as an electric vehicle part of the time. Such silent running can pose a threat to pedestrians who don't hear it coming, and regulations to require EVs and plug-in hybrids to make some sort of noise are being drawn up.

Even though the regulation isn't final, Fisker went ahead and developed a system of their own, and they've tried to make that sound as futuristic as the car itself. Speakers at the front and back of the car produce a noise whenever the car is operating in electric mode at any speed below 25 mph.

To me it sounds like a combination of Tron lightcycle, the 2001 monolith noise, the Droid phone commercial sound, and a squadron of P-51 Mustangs banking overhead.You may not pick out the subtlety in this video because the car is entering a garage where the noise echoes around, making it sound louder than it is. That said, no one's going to miss it, and it is loud enough to be heard from inside the car at a low background level.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:55 AM
Teamspeed Member
JustMe You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!JustMe You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!JustMe You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!JustMe You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!JustMe You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!JustMe You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!JustMe You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!JustMe You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!JustMe You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!JustMe You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!JustMe You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Ready for lift off

Old 12-06-2011, 12:10 PM
Teamspeed Pro
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
sounds like a moving Blendtec.

will it blend?!

Old 12-06-2011, 12:28 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
we just got three in; two are pre-orders...

no thanks. lol

Old 12-06-2011, 12:31 PM
Teamspeed Pro
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
Chris,
how's the build quality?

Old 12-06-2011, 12:39 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 20C4S
Chris,
how's the build quality?
Can you ask me another question? Like, what do I think of the new 991? Do I think it'll sell out?

Do I like gummi bears? And of course, do I think Unicorns exist?

Those sorts of questions.....

Old 12-06-2011, 12:41 PM
Teamspeed Pro
ok... try again... will it blend?

Old 12-06-2011, 12:45 PM
KT
I give good hugs. Bo, you're first.
KT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond repute
Lol, Chris

That is a cool sound. They have the right idea with this car. It just needs a little more work.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
Originally Posted by 20C4S
ok... try again... will it blend?
IDK but it would be a HELL of a lot of fun trying!!

I will say this. The car is stunning LOOKING. Aside from that, no, I don't think it's fit and finish is up to the caliber of its competitors- Mercedes Benz, Porsche, BMW and Audi. Sure the car is entirely different and yes, it looks fantastic. But no, I don't thinks a value at $100,000. But then again, there are so many other reasons why people are buying this car.

I'm just not interested in it.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:50 PM
Teamspeed Member
SpeedRob is on a distinguished roadSpeedRob is on a distinguished road
I saw one with dealer plates a couple weeks ago. Car looks stunning but I agree that it is an enormous effort to make a car with Audi/Mercedes etc. Fit and finish levels from what is a start up company.

It's a ver innovative machine though.

Quick Reply: VIDEO: Fisker Karma Pedestrian Warning Sound