Notices
Teamspeed Green The Forum For Cars That Will Change Our World & Way Of Thinking.

Tesla introduces Mobile Service Rangers, the Geek Squad for EVs

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 02:58 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Post Tesla introduces Mobile Service Rangers, the Geek Squad for EVs

From Autoblog.com

Doctors may not make many house calls anymore, but Tesla Motors believes an at-home service is just the ticket for its pricey electric cars. The company recently announced a new Tesla Mobile Service Rangers program that makes getting the recommended annual service or any other repairs taken care of an effortless event. The Rangers (no word on if they wear brightly colored outfits and/or morph) have the ability to diagnose problems remotely before driving their service vehicles to where the Roadsters are. Tesla says that Roadster owners and cues from "pioneering retailers" like Zappos and Geek Squad helped develop the Rangers idea. At some point in the future, the Ranger service will be available wherever Roadsters are sold.

The service isn't cheap – it costs $1 per round-trip mile with a minimum charge of $100 – but if you can afford the car in the first place, then it shouldn't be too big of a hardship. We don't have the heart to calculate the cost for "Roadster owners in Honolulu, Anchorage, Banff and other locations", which Tesla's press release states can now have peace of mind. It might just be cheaper to buy two Roadsters in case one of them breaks.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:59 PM
Team Speed's Super Vixen
SuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond repute
Funny.... initially they were going to offer this service for free since there are so few places to service your car. They were flying techs out to customers houses. Apparently some of those quit because of the pressure. They were limited in what they can bring with them on planes and sometimes not able to fix the issues without a real toolbox and shop. Makes sense to charge for it now though. They are a business after all.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:13 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Schwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond repute
Does anybody outside of Hollywood actually buy them?

Old 10-13-2009, 06:52 PM
ATL
Teamspeed Pro
ATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Schwabe
Does anybody outside of Hollywood actually buy them?
I really want to buy a Tesla Model S, it's only $50k after the $7,500 govm't rebate. It looks like a cross between an Aston Martin Rapide & a Maserati QP.

My only fear based on the slow release of their roadster is that it will take a while for them to actually deliver it. They've changed CEOs 4 times already within the last few years and I'm not sure of the company's future.

Attached Images    
Old 10-13-2009, 06:55 PM
ATL
Teamspeed Pro
ATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond repute
oh, and it seats 7 people! (5 adults and 2 kids)

Old 10-13-2009, 07:30 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Schwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond repute
I like it too. Got their e-mail notification to place my order earlier this year. But seriously buying a car that nobody can fix for you when you live on the other side of the coast, like me, meeeeeeeh .....

Old 10-13-2009, 07:38 PM
ATL
Teamspeed Pro
Schwabe, there's a Tesla store opening up by end of the year in Washington DC.

Tesla Motors - Tesla Stores

I assume they will service them there? The deposit is $5k are you in or what? I keep telling my wife that we need this car so we can save the environment.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:39 PM
Teamspeed Pro
VegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond reputeVegasFloyd has a reputation beyond repute
Booo Tesla, Fisker FTW!

Old 10-13-2009, 09:47 PM
Teamspeed Pro
So the deposit went down, it was $10,000 earlier this year and of course no promise or hint on delivery date, what they say now? Telling my wife won't help, always have to fight for my own cars already

Old 10-13-2009, 09:55 PM
ATL
Teamspeed Pro
Yep the deposit is at $5,000 and they hope to deliver late 2011. We'll see. They were behind on the Roadster deliveries. I would wait until they come out and see what happens.

I'm going to swing by the Tesla store here in LA this week but I highly doubt the salespeople will know more than we could find out on our own.