Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

New to shooting-- looking to purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 03:03 PM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Marc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by maxemus
What's wrong with those calibers Marc?
Just from my 25 years of guns and trading, 9mm is weak high speed but weak stop power, 40mm is a good compromise round and not a bad choice but I prefer .45 so my choices are:

For me HK45c (45) or HK P30 (40) , if not go Glock 23 (40) or Glock 30 (45) they are the most reliable brands and are the opposite ends of spectrum HK is pricey and Glock is reasonable.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:39 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of
And if anyone uses the term '' stopping power '' ignore them. Shot placement is key.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:30 PM
Teamspeed Pro
PatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond repute
a 45 will take an arm off as opposed to sting a person. placement is for the pros, not the average joe. responsibility is key.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:35 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of
Sting a person?
Jesus. I'm done here.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:08 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
maxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond repute
I hope I never have to shoot a human but if I ever have to, I dont want to injure the person.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:05 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Sechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond repute
AR wise...if you want the best that you can always grow into its abilities...LaRue OBR or PredatAR...

Old 11-06-2012, 12:14 AM
Teamspeed Member
-eztrader- is a name known to all-eztrader- is a name known to all-eztrader- is a name known to all-eztrader- is a name known to all-eztrader- is a name known to all-eztrader- is a name known to all-eztrader- is a name known to all-eztrader- is a name known to all-eztrader- is a name known to all-eztrader- is a name known to all-eztrader- is a name known to all
Thx for the info guys---

I've done some shooting, and fell in love with a .45 1911 at the local range. I'm now trying to determine which one to pick up.

Rifle--- haven't had chance to shoot yet-- will spend more time soon

Old 11-26-2012, 06:28 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
LARRY is an unknown quantity at this point
I did my homework.

I have a Les Baer .45. Les Baer Custom Inc.

A JP Enterprises AR-15 rifle. JP Rifles

A Benelli shotgun. Benelli Shotguns | Benelli M2 Tactical

All super accurate which is what you want. A little more expensive but you're only buying three guns.

You'll outshoot everybody.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:06 PM
Teamspeed Pro
CarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond repute
Some good and some really bad advice in this thread.

I'm glad you like the 1911, but if this is your first firearm, I would strongly suggest you to avoid the 1911 for now. The 1911 is a very accurate firearm, but it's maintenance intensive and honestly, not for a beginner. The 1911 requires a high maintenance cycles where recoil spring need to be replaced every 5000 rounds, and the gun needs to be kept pretty clean. Also, if you want a 1911 that runs reliably out of the box, expect to pay north of 3k for a semicustom maker! In addition, this doesn't even begin to touch on all the crap about reliable magazines for the 1911...ugh.

If you like the ergos of the 1911, then I would suggest you to check out the SW MP. It adopts many of the ergo benefits of the 1911 but without all the headache. I know of several folks that love and run their MPs hard.

As for the 9 versus 45 debate, I think it's absolutely silly to compare the two anymore. Anyone who claims that a 45 does more damage (note - I did not use "stopping power") hasn't kept up on the recent advancements on 9mm JHPs. One I strongly recommend is the 9mm HST.

ARs are a different thing all together...

There is a lot of information (both good and bad) out there. Always ask why and make sure your BS meter is on.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:03 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
LARRY is an unknown quantity at this point
You're right...9mm are great guns.

My Sig-Sauer 226 is awesome and from back in the day where you could load it up to 30 round mags.

Somebody here recommended the CZ75B...Man, are those things accurate and very inexpensive!

Quick Reply: New to shooting-- looking to purchase