Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

Entering the AR World, Need Input

Old 09-19-2012, 04:00 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Still Lost has a reputation beyond reputeStill Lost has a reputation beyond reputeStill Lost has a reputation beyond reputeStill Lost has a reputation beyond reputeStill Lost has a reputation beyond reputeStill Lost has a reputation beyond reputeStill Lost has a reputation beyond reputeStill Lost has a reputation beyond reputeStill Lost has a reputation beyond reputeStill Lost has a reputation beyond reputeStill Lost has a reputation beyond repute
Entering the AR World, Need Input

I have been contemplating an AR for the past few months but frankly it wasn't in my budget with the wedding and everything associated with that. Ironically when I landed from my honeymoon I had an e-mail from my dad saying he was at a Friends of the NRA dinner and there was an AR Build up for auction, he opened the bidding and no one countered so we now have an AR to spec out, was just curious if I could get some input from you guys on how to spec it.

We will be using this more for sport and target than anything else.

It will be coming from USA Tactical (USATF.us)

So here are the options listed (I'd upload the form but it's seriously the worst b/w copy I've ever seen.)

Caliber
.223/5.56
7.62x39

Muzzle Break
A-2
Phantom
F.E.F.H
Night Break
Phantom 2 Round*

*This is the only option we can use if we decide to register it under my Dad in NJ, however if another option is better I'll register it under me in PA.

Barrel Length
16"
20"

Barrel Type
M-4 (5.56 carbine only)
H-Bar

* 7.62x39 only available in 16" H-Bar

Style
Quad Rails
Smooth

Rear Sights
Carry Handle
Rear Sight
Rear Flip-Up

Trigger
Standard 9lb Single State
Up-Grade 6lb single/stage trigger

Butt Stock
6 position
6 position ATI
A-2

Pistol Grips
Standard
Sniper
Ergo
Mag Pul MOE Grip

Any advice, experience, recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:24 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Sechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond repute
As long as you have a place to shoot it, set it up for longer range. You probably arent doing any shoot houses and the extra weight shouldnt matter. But rather than having a 300-600 yard range, you'll have around a 700-850 yard range. Dont go cheap on the glass though. Looks like with this build, you should account for 1100-1500 in glass depending on what you decide to use it for.

Caliber
.223/5.56
7.62x39

Muzzle Break
A-2
Phantom
F.E.F.H
Night Break
Phantom 2 Round*

*This is the only option we can use if we decide to register it under my Dad in NJ, however if another option is better I'll register it under me in PA.

Barrel Length
16"
20"

Barrel Type
M-4 (5.56 carbine only)
H-Bar

* 7.62x39 only available in 16" H-Bar

Style
Quad Rails
Smooth

Rear Sights
Carry Handle
Rear Sight
Rear Flip-Up

Trigger
Standard 9lb Single State Neither of these are a good choice. Screw either of them, get the cheaper, and upgrade with
Geissele Automatics - Quality Triggers for the Warfighter and Competitor - Super Semi-Automatic (Enhanced)
Up-Grade 6lb single/stage trigger

Butt Stock
6 position
6 position ATI
A-2

Pistol Grips-a decent amount due to feel but most prefer ergo and mag's product is on all sorts of all-arounders.
Standard
Sniper
Ergo
Mag Pul MOE Grip

Old 10-10-2012, 08:24 PM
Teamspeed Member
DEVILDOG You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DEVILDOG You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DEVILDOG You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DEVILDOG You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DEVILDOG You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DEVILDOG You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DEVILDOG You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DEVILDOG You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DEVILDOG You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DEVILDOG You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DEVILDOG You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Sig Sauer 516 Patrol is all and everything you will need for you first AR.........

Old 11-26-2012, 06:56 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
LARRY is an unknown quantity at this point
Check out JP Enterprises and talk to them.

Get it done right the first time.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:20 PM
Teamspeed Pro
PatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond repute
call American Armament

Denison, Tx

Old 11-27-2012, 12:06 PM
Teamspeed Pro
CarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond repute
We will be using this more for sport and target than anything else.

What does this mean? What kind of budget to you have for feeding this thing? How far do you plan on shooting? Have you shot much in the past?