Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

Social Security Administration buys 174,000 rounds of hollow point ammunition

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 09:16 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Overtaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond repute
Social Security Administration buys 174,000 rounds of hollow point ammunition

Agencies tamp down speculation over hollow-point ammo purchases | Fox News

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration also bought over 40,000 rounds of hollow point ammunition. Here's their excuse:
According to NOAA, the specialized agents are supposed to have 200 rounds in their "duty bag," and qualification and training requires another 500-600 rounds per agent.
I get that these agencies have their own special law enforcement agents, but can someone please tell these ninjas that FMJ will work just fine for killing paper targets? Must be nice to force the citizenry to buy you unnecessarily expen$ive ammo.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:22 PM
Teamspeed Pro
997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute
If you were in the military you would understand that we have contracts with people to buy these things. As NOAA is an extension of the Navy and partners with the coast guard they piggy back off of our contracts all the time since there are roughly 300 personnel in NOAA.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:43 PM
Registered Member
DrgnTmr has a reputation beyond reputeDrgnTmr has a reputation beyond reputeDrgnTmr has a reputation beyond reputeDrgnTmr has a reputation beyond reputeDrgnTmr has a reputation beyond reputeDrgnTmr has a reputation beyond reputeDrgnTmr has a reputation beyond reputeDrgnTmr has a reputation beyond reputeDrgnTmr has a reputation beyond reputeDrgnTmr has a reputation beyond reputeDrgnTmr has a reputation beyond repute
All these purchases are getting a lot of news of late.
Makes me want to stock up myself.
I mean .. how much is too much?

Old 08-17-2012, 09:52 PM
Teamspeed Pro
997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DrgnTmr
Is there such a thing?

Old 08-17-2012, 10:11 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Overtaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 997carrerasblk06
If you were in the military you would understand that we have contracts with people to buy these things. As NOAA is an extension of the Navy and partners with the coast guard they piggy back off of our contracts all the time since there are roughly 300 personnel in NOAA.
Why do they need hollow points for training when FMJ will do the job substantially cheaper. Waste of taxpayer money.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:32 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by Overtaker
Why do they need hollow points for training when FMJ will do the job substantially cheaper. Waste of taxpayer money.
As stated above. If we already have a contract with company A from a year ago an we need ammunition then company A must fill the order. That is how a contract works. I totally agree with you isnt it a waste for targets but that is how companies screw the military and government and essentially you and I out of tax money.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:35 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Heres a better example on how your tax money is wasted. A contract with day Lockheed Martin is in effect. I am forced to buy a hard drive from them instead of some where cheap like new egg or best buy or wherever. So I could pay 100 dollars for a new one but since we have a contract with them I must pay 5k a piece for the same HDD from them instead. ****ed up yes. Expensive yes but that is your congressmen and women employing these people and lining their pockets.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:27 PM
DBV
Teamspeed Senior Member
DBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 997carrerasblk06
Heres a better example on how your tax money is wasted. A contract with day Lockheed Martin is in effect. I am forced to buy a hard drive from them instead of some where cheap like new egg or best buy or wherever. So I could pay 100 dollars for a new one but since we have a contract with them I must pay 5k a piece for the same HDD from them instead. ****ed up yes. Expensive yes but that is your congressmen and women employing these people and lining their pockets.
By that logic though: are you FORCED to opt for a higher spec HDD that's actually worth 5k or is it the same $100 HDD, simply priced at 5k? I only ask, because surely someone HAD to order hollow point as opposed to FMJ. Or are these contracts set up in such a way that the vendor chooses what the military gets? I might be wrong, but I doubt that. Now, if the price for hollow point and FMJ is the same when fulfilling said contract, then I don't see the issue with using hollow points. Might as well, (excuse the pun) "get the most bang for you buck".

Old 08-21-2012, 09:25 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Nope it's the same HDD. And the fmj ball rounds shoot different than hollow points. Practice how you play

Old 08-21-2012, 11:54 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Moving Chicane is a jewel in the roughMoving Chicane is a jewel in the roughMoving Chicane is a jewel in the roughMoving Chicane is a jewel in the roughMoving Chicane is a jewel in the roughMoving Chicane is a jewel in the roughMoving Chicane is a jewel in the roughMoving Chicane is a jewel in the roughMoving Chicane is a jewel in the roughMoving Chicane is a jewel in the roughMoving Chicane is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by DrgnTmr
IMO, the answer depends on how many weapons, magazines, and people in the household. A few like-calibre weapons, a couple people, and 5-10 extra mags for each firearm......1K to 2k rounds would be my target.

Quick Reply: Social Security Administration buys 174,000 rounds of hollow point ammunition