Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

Best $600 Shotgun

Old 01-01-2012, 10:19 PM
DBV
Teamspeed Senior Member
DBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond repute
Best $600 Shotgun

First off, $600 is ballpark. As this gun would be primarily for home defense with some occasional range use thrown in, I don't need a Benelli (yet! ).

Scenario: A friend and I are both looking for shotguns and shot both a Mossberg 500 and Remington 870 back to back. Both had identical grips and stocks, so that was a plus. I personally walked away liking the Remington more. It seemed smoother.

Needs: Whatever gun I go with, I would want to add a pistol grip and AR-style recoil stock. Might want to add an extended shell tube and optic as well (light or laser). Also, I live in CA, so whatever I get would have to work with our 'wonderful" gun laws.

Wildcard: Looked at a Saiga 12 as well, but didn't get to shoot it. Any input on the AK-style shotguns? Any others out there in the same price range? I realize the Saiga costs more, but it's just so cool. Anybody here own one?

There you have it guys. Help me out. I'm looking forward to your suggestions and thoughts.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:39 PM
Teamspeed Pro
bonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond repute
Remmy's are certainly prettier, but not necessarily better. I was on the fence between them as well, but the location of the safety on the Rem was the deal breaker. Much too awkward and if seconds count, you don't want to be fumbling for that switch. If you're considering a 590, I'd increase the budget a bit and get the 590A1 with the parkerized barrel and metal trigger guard/safety.
Been meaning to send mine to VangComp for the VCS mods. On the to do list....

If you're not set on a pump action, then check out the Mossy 930. Badassness.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:52 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Curvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bonehead
If you're considering a 590, I'd increase the budget a bit and get the 590A1 with the parkerized barrel and metal trigger guard/safety.
The 590 is awesome... Have one as well..

Have an 870 as well, but still the 590 is king in my castle for defense.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:19 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Wearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond repute
Are the saiga 12's even legal here in California.

If you go onto calguns there are groupbuys on the mossbergs even now and then. I personally would go find a nice used Benelli or better.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:11 PM
DBV
Teamspeed Senior Member
DBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond reputeDBV has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Wearymicrobe
Are the saiga 12's even legal here in California.

If you go onto calguns there are groupbuys on the mossbergs even now and then. I personally would go find a nice used Benelli or better.
Saiga 12's are legal here. As long as they conform to regulations. As far as I know, they're treated the same as AR's and AK's.

I actually came across a Benelli H20 (navy model) for $575 at a local shop.

I'll check out the 590, looks interesting.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:32 AM
JCL
Teamspeed Junior Member
JCL has a reputation beyond reputeJCL has a reputation beyond reputeJCL has a reputation beyond reputeJCL has a reputation beyond reputeJCL has a reputation beyond reputeJCL has a reputation beyond reputeJCL has a reputation beyond reputeJCL has a reputation beyond reputeJCL has a reputation beyond reputeJCL has a reputation beyond reputeJCL has a reputation beyond repute
Browning BPS All The Way

32840 - Browning BPS Upland Special Pump Action Shotgun 12 Gauge 22" Barrel 4 Rounds Satin Finish Walnut Stock Blued Finish

This is the best shooting pump shotgun on the market IMO...and the english stock is a really cool feature as well

Old 01-11-2012, 11:37 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
mechamegalodon is an unknown quantity at this point
honestly I like the 870 and the 590, with shotguns I think it comes down to which one fits you best. They will all be reliable and excellent home defense shotguns. Just go with which one you personally like the most.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:17 PM
Registered Member
DrgnTmr has a reputation beyond reputeDrgnTmr has a reputation beyond reputeDrgnTmr has a reputation beyond reputeDrgnTmr has a reputation beyond reputeDrgnTmr has a reputation beyond reputeDrgnTmr has a reputation beyond reputeDrgnTmr has a reputation beyond reputeDrgnTmr has a reputation beyond reputeDrgnTmr has a reputation beyond reputeDrgnTmr has a reputation beyond reputeDrgnTmr has a reputation beyond repute
I have an assortment of shotguns here, pump action and semi auto.
Different sizes .. 12, 16 & 4.10 ga.The one I keep closest .. a Mossberg 4.10 with two in the magazine, nothing in the reciever.
I don't know a soul who doesn't recognize the sound of a shell being chambered.
I have no problem wielding any of these guns, but, I used to travel and needed something here the wife was comfortable holding, and wouldn't knock her over was she forced to pull the trigger.

That being said, I've had my place, it was an apartment, broken into by a thief.
Might have been an unlocked kitchen door gave him access, can't recall, it was long ago.
Middle of the night, he made off with a few bic lighters and some change from the kitchen.
We were sound asleep and didn't notice a thing till the police knocked on the kitchen door and came in asking if we were OK a bit later.
They had caught him, an alert insomniac neighbor had seen him and called the police.

Reckon the point of all this is, regardless of what method of home defense you decide to invest in, if your home security is breached, what's most important is you are awake and alert enough to assess the situation and react accordingly.

Good luck with your choice.

I identified the lighters btw .... those convicted him.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:38 PM
DBV
Teamspeed Senior Member
Originally Posted by JCL
32840 - Browning BPS Upland Special Pump Action Shotgun 12 Gauge 22" Barrel 4 Rounds Satin Finish Walnut Stock Blued Finish

This is the best shooting pump shotgun on the market IMO...and the english stock is a really cool feature as well
Beautiful gun. Will definitely have to consider this one.

Looks like I've got some shooting/shopping to do.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:17 PM
MGM
Teamspeed Senior Member
MGM has a reputation beyond reputeMGM has a reputation beyond reputeMGM has a reputation beyond reputeMGM has a reputation beyond reputeMGM has a reputation beyond reputeMGM has a reputation beyond reputeMGM has a reputation beyond reputeMGM has a reputation beyond reputeMGM has a reputation beyond reputeMGM has a reputation beyond reputeMGM has a reputation beyond repute
Benelli Nova Pump

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best $600 Shotgun