Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

California 'approved' gun list question

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 11:57 PM
Teamspeed Pro
bonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond repute
Question California 'approved' gun list question

Quick question that I hope will have a quick answer. Instead of milling through what I'm sure will be a zillion threads on calguns, I'm hoping one of you Cali gun-loving owners have the answer.

Own an HK45c. NOT on the 'approved' handgun list. I assumed I would have to sell it before moving into CA. I have an acquaintance who believes that a previously purchased handgun while a resident in another state can be legally brought in and owned in CA, regardless of whether or not it is on this list. It is not an 'assault weapon' and it does not have a hi-cap mag.

Any merit to this or do I really need to sell my beloved .45?

And I couldn't find anything specifically on this on the CA DOJ website.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:44 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Secure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant future
As I understand it your friend is correct. One of my clients moved there and took the same assumption and was told at the range it was correct.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:47 PM
Teamspeed Pro
bonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Secure
As I understand it your friend is correct. One of my clients moved there and took the same assumption and was told at the range it was correct.
Thanks Mitch. PM sent

Old 06-30-2011, 01:08 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Fuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond repute
Yea pretty sure you can bring it over, just cant have Hi Cap Mags. I know there a few Gen4 Glocks even being sold in the Marketplace which are not on the approved CA list.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:12 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by Fuel&Fire
Yea pretty sure you can bring it over, just cant have Hi Cap Mags. I know there a few Gen4 Glocks even being sold in the Marketplace which are not on the approved CA list.
Thanks Bryant. But is do you know if this is stated anywhere by the DOJ? Anectodal info is great and all, but last thing I need is being stuck with an 'illegal' handgun in CA with no easy way to get rid of it.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:25 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Fuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond repute
Here ya Go!

FAQ - Calguns Wiki
I am moving to California. What CAN'T I bring with me?

New residents may bring almost anything except:

"Assault Weapons"
Machine Guns
Suppressors (silencers)
Short Barreled Rifles or Shotguns (SBR/SBS)
Destructive Devices
Magazines that hold more than 10 rounds

Are there "sunset" provisions in any of California's gun laws (large capacity magazine ban, safe handgun roster, assault weapons ban, etc)?

No.
Can I bring a handgun into California if it isn't on the Safe Handgun roster?

Yes. The Handgun Roster refers to handguns dealers may sell – it has no effect on what you may own.
Form to fill out to register the Gun in Ca, so you dont have to worry.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/ab991frm.pdf

Last edited by Fuel&Fire; 06-30-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:31 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Here ya Go!

FAQ - Calguns Wiki

Form to fill out to register the Gun in Ca, so you dont have to worry.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/ab991frm.pdf
NOICE! Thanks Bryant. REP!

Dammit. Now I may need to buy a bunch of stuff I won't be able to get in CA.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:32 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by bonehead
NOICE! Thanks Bryant. REP!

Dammit. Now I may need to buy a bunch of stuff I won't be able to get in CA.
and then sell some of it to me!!

Old 06-30-2011, 02:06 PM
Teamspeed Pro
and then sell some of it to me!!
As a law-abiding citizen and NOT an FFL , I would never purchase a firearm with intent to sell.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:32 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Of course! Only after you get bored of them! We gun owners get bored easily for some reason...

Quick Reply: California 'approved' gun list question