Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

SIG 556 review

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 09:32 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Curvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond repute
SIG 556 review

Well, Thought I would throw this out there...

Just completed a two day carbine course, from the basic " this is a bullet" through movement and multiple target engagement.

Hot, over a 100, dusty ( I thought of you sand box guys, I dont know how you do it...) and windy.

I shot Wolf ammo, 1000 rounds, with no cleaning or maintenance on the rilfe. It performed flawlessly. Ate it all, no malfunctions, or zip. I rigged up a set of gloves with a bullet button on my finger so i could operate it the way God intended, not Commiefornia.

Full of dirt, grime and crap and had a great time. All other students were operating M4 type platforms, and all had serious malfunctions. I was shocked. That included Daniel Defense, Colt, and some hodge podge guns.

I am beat tired, beat up and aching, but very impressed with the SIG.

No pics, was just to damn busy. The class was taught by a SWAT team instructor and was great.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:01 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
I think when I finally do my frontsight carbine I am removing the bullet button in my hotel in NV before going to class.

I just have to put it back before crossing state line.

I also have a Sig 556. What do you think of the common online complaint about it being front heavy?

Old 06-19-2011, 11:28 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Overtaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond repute
Do you remember some examples of the AR-15 malfunctions? They should run fine as long as they are lubed.

Originally Posted by stuka
I think when I finally do my frontsight carbine I am removing the bullet button in my hotel in NV before going to class.
Stuka, NO! Once you taste the sweet fruit of the tree of liberty you will never want to return to California.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:55 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Just read up on the 'bullet button'

That is crap.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:31 AM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by O2Supply
Just read up on the 'bullet button'

That is crap.
Better than not being able to have a Sig 556.

This is what happens when Democrats run your state.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:31 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Curvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond repute
I
I also have a Sig 556. What do you think of the common online complaint about it being front heavy?
I thought about that before I went to the class, comparing it to my M4 before I left.

Honestly, after I got used to it, after an hour, I really failed to even notice. After day one, I was in the garage and I pulled the M4 out, and it felt light, like a toy almost, compared to the SIG. It was quite accurate, even with Wolf, and a low end red dot, and had very little rise on rapid fire, if any at all. I liked it alot, and am pretty happy over all.

I would remove the BB before I hit frontsight as well. But, as the guy running the class said, train like you fight. My glove with the tool in the finger, pretty much, made it a regular release, so I couldnt complain. I kept up with the other cops on reloading their M4's with it.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:35 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by Overtaker
Do you remember some examples of the AR-15 malfunctions? They should run fine as long as they are lubed.
We had FTE, FTFeed, double feed, magazine malfunctions (dropping mags), the DD refused to lock bolt back on empty, and a couple of stove pipes, and some really odd things going on with a Rock River. He stated that the gun was really dirty, but even after a brief breakdown and clean, he continued to have issues, and stated he was turning it into the department armorer, to have it looked at.

Lube did help, my M4 was to dry to start, so my brother had to lube it really well, after that, no issue on my Spike. We ended up lubing them up so much it was quite messy... The hodge podge rifle, that continued to malfunction no matter what.

Last edited by Curvejunkie; 06-20-2011 at 12:39 AM.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:37 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Better than not being able to have a Sig 556.

This is what happens when Democrats run your state.
Yep. This.....

Old 06-20-2011, 11:53 PM
Teamspeed Pro
POWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Curvejunkie
We had FTE, FTFeed, double feed, magazine malfunctions (dropping mags), the DD refused to lock bolt back on empty, and a couple of stove pipes, and some really odd things going on with a Rock River. He stated that the gun was really dirty, but even after a brief breakdown and clean, he continued to have issues, and stated he was turning it into the department armorer, to have it looked at.

Lube did help, my M4 was to dry to start, so my brother had to lube it really well, after that, no issue on my Spike. We ended up lubing them up so much it was quite messy... The hodge podge rifle, that continued to malfunction no matter what.
My Rock River Entry Tactical was a piece of shit and was quickly sold I dont doubt that at all. Much more happy with my Spikes setup

Old 06-20-2011, 11:58 PM
Teamspeed Pro
bonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond repute

That was my main problem with the rifle. Perhaps if I took off the Picatinny rails, it may be been a bit more manageable. Either that, or I just need to hit the gym and stop being a ninny.

Quick Reply: SIG 556 review