Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

Thinking of switching from Springfield to Beretta...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 01:14 PM
Teamspeed Pro
POWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond repute
Why change from what works? I will never own a Beretta but that's my personal preference. Changing just because makes no sense. Buy it and run it for a while at the range and then make up your mind.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:20 PM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
Seconding Powerhouse.

Are you changing for the sake of change; out of vanity.

I'm an old military/cop guy, so I fail to understand people who change for a reason other than utility. Your carry gun has to be the gun you can use instinctively.

And, with all due respect, I am positive that you do not use your XD instinctively. Almost no civilians are instinctive when it comes to their firearms; and most cops are not instinctive.

What drills do you do? How do you practice? How often do you practice? Is your practice range, or practical?

Old 05-23-2011, 01:38 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
b9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with tons of training. Back when the economy was better, I'd burn through 500+ rounds of .45 out of my carry gun every other week. I have thousands upon thousands of rounds out of my EB. I may not be super instinctive with it yet but I am ahead of most civilians.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:10 PM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by b9ev
I am ahead of most civilians.
BY FAR!!!!

I dunno, I'd say you're probably there. You shoot more than most cops I know.

Good on you mang.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:12 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
b9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond repute
Unfortunately, I am light on training with the carry gun I use when I need a subcompact. Its a whole lot snappier which makes it harder for follow up shots especially without as much time behind it. I take comfort in carrying it knowing I can draw a target quickly with it and the rounds I use are very hot.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:28 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Scott in Houston has a reputation beyond reputeScott in Houston has a reputation beyond reputeScott in Houston has a reputation beyond reputeScott in Houston has a reputation beyond reputeScott in Houston has a reputation beyond reputeScott in Houston has a reputation beyond reputeScott in Houston has a reputation beyond reputeScott in Houston has a reputation beyond reputeScott in Houston has a reputation beyond reputeScott in Houston has a reputation beyond reputeScott in Houston has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SoCal
I am not a fan of Beretta personally. Have you considered Glocks at all? I carry a 19 concealed for my job and if you buy good ammo for it, it can be just as effective as your .40 would, with increased accuracy and a higher capacity magazine. Things to consider Brandi.
THIS.

I think people stay away from Glock 'just because'.
The XD's, Beretta polymer guns, and all the other polymers are just not-as-good imitations of Glock. I don't really get it... They're built to compete with Glock, but I can't find one that does anything better than a Glock. The closest I've seen is the S&W M&P series which are as good as Glock IMO (but not better either).

I'm not a fan of the XD because it will fire out of battery. That scares me, and the grip safety has only down-side to it IMO.

Between the XD and the Storm, I guess I'd go Storm, but like SoCal said, Glock is the best in this category.

STOPPIE and other Sig fans.. they rock, but we're talking polymer guns with XD, Glock, and the Beretta PX4.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:47 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Stryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond repute
I love and carry my Sig in the winter but find it heavy for summer clothes so I use a smaller Glock in warm weather. I also put a few hundred rounds per week through whatever I am carrying that week. Plain as they are, I love the feel of Glocks. Brandi, if you are partial to a .40 then try the G27 although I find it to be very jerky and would say the G26 with good ammo may serve you better and be more accurate.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:09 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Scott in Houston has a reputation beyond reputeScott in Houston has a reputation beyond reputeScott in Houston has a reputation beyond reputeScott in Houston has a reputation beyond reputeScott in Houston has a reputation beyond reputeScott in Houston has a reputation beyond reputeScott in Houston has a reputation beyond reputeScott in Houston has a reputation beyond reputeScott in Houston has a reputation beyond reputeScott in Houston has a reputation beyond reputeScott in Houston has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Stryke
Brandi, if you are partial to a .40 then try the G27 although I find it to be very jerky and would say the G26 with good ammo may serve you better and be more accurate.
The G27 is the most re-sold Glock. Many folks don't like it.
.40S&W is so marginally better than 9mm with good defensive loads, that I personally would rather have one extra bullet than 1 fewer rounds of a higher caliber. The G26 is an amazing sub compact.

I still carry my G19 or 32 almost 3 times as much as my G26. My reason below:

Note:

The national average hit ratio for police officers in gunfights is around 18%.
Assuming you're as good as your local police, that's 1 round per 5... Every round counts! I'd rather have 16 rounds than 10 any day.
(Also, remember, BG's travel in pairs and packs these days. The loan bad guy is the exception, not the rule.)

Old 05-23-2011, 11:16 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Stryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond repute
Scott, in NYC civilians cannot have mags larger than 10 so the 19 won't benefit me over the 26. I just carry extra mags.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:25 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Stryke
Scott, in NYC civilians cannot have mags larger than 10 so the 19 won't benefit me over the 26. I just carry extra mags.
Really? Not even if the mags were grandfathered?

Even in Kalifornistan you can use pre ban 1999 or prior normal cap mags IF you owned them from back then, OR you happened to found some in the trash at the range.

Quick Reply: Thinking of switching from Springfield to Beretta...