Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

Bad Ammo!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 09:44 PM
Teamspeed MVP
Smoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Bad Ammo!!

44 Magnum accident

First it was baby formula, then pet food but now you should watch out when buying anything from China , including bright, shiny ammunition. A guy came into the police department the other day to ask a favor. He had a S&W 629 (.44 Mag) that he wanted to dispose of after a mishap at the range. He said there was a loud bang when he tested his new ammo, (Chinese made), and the gun smacked him in the forehead, leaving a nice gash. When the tweety birds cleared from around his head, the pictures show what he saw. Bet he never uses Chinese made ammo again! Looks like when the round in the chamber went off, it also set off at least two other rounds in adjacent cylinders. I would have hated to been the one that pulled the trigger on that one!

Name:  44magnum1.jpg
Views: 14644
Size:  30.0 KB

Name:  44magnum2.jpg
Views: 15499
Size:  24.6 KB

Name:  44magnum3.jpg
Views: 6824
Size:  31.3 KB

Name:  44magnum4.jpg
Views: 9687
Size:  31.2 KB

Be careful guys and check to see who is manufacturing your ammo!!~Pops

Old 09-21-2010, 09:46 PM
Teamspeed Pro
GuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond repute
wow thats crazy

Old 09-21-2010, 11:23 PM
Full of Win.
Gobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond repute
That's a legitimate issue with a lot of Chinese knock offs. Surefire batteries are such an animal. Do NOT buy the grey with no markings CR123 "Surefire" replacement batteries which are manufactured in China. They are very prone to catching on fire.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:34 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Ag Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond repute
That would have been a great trick shot if the bullets had exited the gun and hit the target.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:00 AM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gobbles
That's a legitimate issue with a lot of Chinese knock offs. Surefire batteries are such an animal. Do NOT buy the grey with no markings CR123 "Surefire" replacement batteries which are manufactured in China. They are very prone to catching on fire.
We try to not buy made in China stuff, especially toys for baby scud.

And for sure no ammo.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:46 AM
Official TS Crybaby - Forever
Ryan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond repute
Good thing china was not made in china, cripes!

I'm suprised nobody was hit by all that shrapnel.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:52 AM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
Shame he didn't contact S&W, I'm sure they would have loved to study the failure mode on the pistol, and quite possibly see WTH is up with the ammo.

I don't even see how you could cram enough powder into a .44 case to cause that.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:40 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Ag Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Simba
Shame he didn't contact S&W, I'm sure they would have loved to study the failure mode on the pistol, and quite possibly see WTH is up with the ammo.

I don't even see how you could cram enough powder into a .44 case to cause that.
My uneducated guess is that it was not an issue of too much gun powder but rather, a weak casing. Or may the powder was super hot? The chinese did invent fireworks afterall.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:22 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
slik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura about
Sorry to resurrect and old thread, but it seems pertinent: Is there a source or service that a person can refer to in order to find out which brands of ammo to avoid? I'm just in the process of shopping for a good side arm for home defense, and the Cor-Bon brand was a name given to me as a good domestic manufacturer.

I plan to do all of my purchasing at a local gun shop/range that has been in business for 36 years in my area, so good advice won't be a problem, but I was just wondering if there was a "clearing house" of sorts for alerting people to things like bogus Chinese ammo.

Thanks for your time.

PS: the good news is that the person that had that accident was not seriously wounded or worse - the bad news is that he is out one very expensive side arm! That cheap Chinese crap turned out to be the most expensive ammo ever.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:17 AM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Simba

It wouldn't be hard if it were rifle powder instead...

Quick Reply: Bad Ammo!!