Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

Flying with firearms in checked bags

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 08:40 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Flying with firearms in checked bags

I have read up on it, and it looks like you have to use a non TSA lock and that TSA has to have you open it, or make reasonable attempt to contact you and have you open it for inspection.

Now, having had stuff stolen by the TSA, what's stopping them from destrying your locked firearm case in your checked bag then leaving you with a busted empty firearm case?

And when that happened, my experience with other stuff being stolen tells me that there is no recourse. And now you have the headache of dealing with a lost firearm, which is a PITA in CA.

Do you guys ever do it? Or do you just mail your firearms to the destination and avoid the hassle altogether?

Old 05-09-2010, 08:42 PM
Full of Win.
Gobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond repute
I would mail it for all the reasons you mentioned.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:56 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
But WWGD?

What Would Gobbles Do?

Old 05-09-2010, 09:05 PM
Full of Win.
Gobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by stuka
But WWGD?

What Would Gobbles Do?
LOL. Seriously, if you have to take a firearm with you and you are flying, I would mail it to someone I trust on the other end. WAY too much stuff goes missing in checked baggage, and you don't want the hassle.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:14 PM
Teamspeed Pro
CarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond repute
Old 05-09-2010, 09:31 PM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
I can only respond to this question with my experience traveling with shotguns for bird hunting. Now, the many times I have done this (at least twice a year in the country and three times in total to Argentina) the shotgun was booked as a separate bag. My father had these cases built in the '80s that look like you're traveling with some kind of horn instrument, and each case holds two shotguns (as I usually carry a pair of over and unders in mixed gauges).

I digress, when I check my bags I let them know I am traveling with two firearms. Having done this so many times, if they try to say that I have to leave the lock open I inform them that I am supposed to open it, show them the weapon and sign a FAA card to be placed with the gun. Sometimes at IAH or other large airports, I have to walk in the back and show the guns again, but I never leave the case unlocked.

Sorry this probably doesn't help as you're talking about a case inside your bag, but thought I'd share cause I'm bored at work.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:37 PM
Full of Win.
Originally Posted by CarbonCycles
That is a great resource!

Old 05-09-2010, 09:54 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Yonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond repute
I would contact the ATF immediately upon learning the firearm was no longer in the suitcase. Atleast that way an investigation is going to happen. Then I would call local news and get that ball rolling.

Wilson

Old 05-13-2010, 09:25 AM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
So, I ran out of time and couldn't get the pistol FedEx'ed to my buddy's house.

I decided to check it in after reading up on the resources that you guys posted, and I am happy to report that the pistol did not get stolen from our checked bag.

Although, for all of you who fly United out of LAX, note that the First Class check in is NOT staffed with TSA, so they cannot handle firearms tag.

We wasted half an hour there only to be told that we need to go to the regular United check in since that's where they have TSA people. If it wasn't for the First Class screening line, we would have missed the flight.

It gets better. Apparently despite the law, the TSA agents WILL ask you for your combo or key to the firearms locker. Thankfully, I was aware of the law and told them to scan it first and we can talk about my combo for the lock if it doesn't pass. The guy took the bag and scanned it, and I was good to go without having to give up my lock combo.