Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

My full size 1911...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 11:18 AM
I'm closing this thread.
Alex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
You'll have to give the report after you shoot it...
I will snap a pic of the first target for you. Let's hope it has some holes in it.

Originally Posted by Barrister
I love it Alex. A fine gun. Congrats!!

Now I'll be sure to inform the Atlanta Police Department . . .

Don't be a snitch Odana. The Feds already know.

Originally Posted by Secure
First 1911?
We all had to start somewhere.
Hope it turns out to be what you wanted.
Yes, my first. As long as it goes bang when I put it on target right.

Originally Posted by Neijia
Nice Alex, I picked up a Kimber today ~ I guess it was 1911 weekend
Congrats man! Show us some pics.

Originally Posted by Overtaker
Blackhawk Serpa holster? Do you open carry?
It's still cool enough for a light jacket so I am OWB but concealed under a jacket. No open carry for me just yet. I will be ordering an IWB rig this week.

Originally Posted by Ryan in SD
fyi, they make 280gr.
My research has led me to the conclusion that 230gr is optimal in .45 ACP.

Last edited by Alex; 03-22-2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:38 PM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Marc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond repute
Alex nice gun but why would you use that as a Carry Piece? HK45 or 45c all day and far better reliability.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:01 PM
I'm closing this thread.
Alex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond repute
HK was out of my budget. I'm sure the HK45 is a great weapon - many say the same for Glocks, Smith & Wessons, etc - when my budget allows I will consider something in the HK line.

There's certainly no shortage of options out there for carry pieces. I shot a Glock 22 and a full sized Kimber 1911 when I started shopping, the Kimber outperformed the Glock in feel and accuracy by far. It was quicker to get back on target besides that, the 1911 has proven to be a reliable platform for some time now and I like that it's single stack frame is easily concealed.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:23 PM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Marc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alex
HK was out of my budget. I'm sure the HK45 is a great weapon - many say the same for Glocks, Smith & Wessons, etc - when my budget allows I will consider something in the HK line.

There's certainly no shortage of options out there for carry pieces. I shot a Glock 22 and a full sized Kimber 1911 when I started shopping, the Kimber outperformed the Glock in feel and accuracy by far. It was quicker to get back on target besides that, the 1911 has proven to be a reliable platform for some time now and I like that it's single stack frame is easily concealed.
Yes the HK's are pricey 900-100 but choosing a 45 1911 style for me is a no go all my Kimbers (5 +) and several other 1911 style .45 have never proven to be as reliable as a Glock or HK I have had numerous jams on my Kimbers and also the idea of carrying cocked and locked is just difficult unless you are a highly trained pro and if you do get in a jam point and pull is easiest.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:37 PM
I'm closing this thread.
I'm not going to get into a pissing match about what's reliable or not. I have read many stories about 1911's running close to 10,000 rounds of trouble free use. I have also read about 1911's jamming on their first round ever but after an inexpensive change, having 1000's of trouble free rounds.

If your Kimbers aren't reliable why haven't you got rid of them? Have you tried changing ammo or mags, mag springs or followers? Those are usually the first causes of jams on 1911's.

There is nothing difficult about carrying a 1911 in condition 1. The only difficulty lies between the carrier's ears. You definitely do not need to be a highly trained pro to do so, just a responsible gun owner.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:53 PM
Banned
DrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond repute
looks like it makes big holes!! Nice piece, I used to shoot a tiny bit, starting to get back into it now that a buddy picked up a piece.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:43 PM
Official TS Crybaby - Forever
Ryan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alex
My research has led me to the conclusion that 230gr is optimal in .45 ACP.
Optimal in what areas? Like less recoil to get more shots on target in fast fire or ballistics wise?

Old 03-24-2010, 01:13 AM
I'm closing this thread.
Optimal in the mind of Mr. J M B.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:18 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
My research has lead me to believe that the Yankees suck and that the Angels will ruin Opening Day for all the band-wagon-jumpers.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:20 AM
I'm closing this thread.
Originally Posted by Barrister
My research has lead me to believe that the Yankees suck and that the Angels will ruin Opening Day for all the band-wagon-jumpers.
Keep your Angels crap out of my gun thread Barista.

Quick Reply: My full size 1911...