Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

Rut roh...Magpul!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010 | 06:45 PM
|
Teamspeed Pro
CarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond repute
Chris and Stuka, if you guys are seriously I'd also be up for a class. I'm thinking handgun would be easier than carbine since getting rounds would be a bitch and handgun is more realistic for us normal folk than carbine.

Then again, Russ has some some great contacts that would probably love to host a TS event...

Old 02-05-2010 | 06:58 PM
Full of Win.
Gobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond repute
I'd be down too. If this gains traction let me know.

Old 02-06-2010 | 06:20 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
I need to look into schedules and costs. And Gobbles and I need to get our work sorted.

Old 02-06-2010 | 06:37 PM
|
Teamspeed Pro
CarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond repute
Dangit, you guys got me itching for some new toys...must fight temptation....

Old 02-06-2010 | 08:48 PM
Teamspeed Pro
86blackwidow has a reputation beyond repute86blackwidow has a reputation beyond repute86blackwidow has a reputation beyond repute86blackwidow has a reputation beyond repute86blackwidow has a reputation beyond repute86blackwidow has a reputation beyond repute86blackwidow has a reputation beyond repute86blackwidow has a reputation beyond repute86blackwidow has a reputation beyond repute86blackwidow has a reputation beyond repute86blackwidow has a reputation beyond repute
That looks like a fun course to go to.

Old 02-06-2010 | 09:06 PM
Teamspeed Pro
MexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Course does look good. Rob, I'm open to whatever. Ashley was over for dinner with his kids week before last, and said he is open to a limited amount of future civilian training if I wanted to invite some more guests. To-date we are still the only civilians that have been through one of his courses at DARC (DARC1.com).

On the other hand, particularly if it was a handgun course, I think it might be good to go somewhere else and have a new experience with new perspectives. Ashley's courses are so Military / Tactical LE oriented, that it would probably be valuable to take one more courses oriented toward scenarios that might be encountered by a civilian. Magpul is a little over the top for me with the drama and showmanship, but I think most of their instruction is solid.

For a carbine course I would definitely want to go to DARC, specifically because it would not be geared for the masses. It would be extremely physically demanding and intense. Most of the people I see in Magpul carbine courses would not be allowed to even start. Likewise at DARC you would be learning true combat carbine from trained warriors.

I found it interesting, after 5,000 rounds at DARC, to hear Ashley say he has never killed anyone with a handgun, although he has deployed one on many occasions. Just further reinforcement of the old adage that a handgun's primary use should be to allow you time / cover to fight your way to a better weapon.

So in sum, I would be up for a Magpul handgun course, but if we're going for carbines, I would strongly prefer DARC.

Old 02-06-2010 | 10:49 PM
|
Teamspeed Pro
Russ, thank you for gracing us with your presence within this thread! I hope that Ashley is doing well. I also have no preference either way, and the idea of a carbine with DARC completely blows my mind. So, I humbly defer to you, Ashley and the TS folks on what is the most convenient for their schedules assuming we can get something up and running. I just need to know who to send the money to for the class, when the class will be held and how many/type of ammo to bring

Actually, when I think of it. I think DARC would be the better choice because of their facilities; the kind of training you receive (i.e. personal attention); Ashley looks much cooler in person than Costa; and last but not least, Little Rock has some incredibly great guys like you and TJ! Also, with all the publicity Magpul has gotten, I think it will be very unlikely for a group of us to get into a single class. Regardless, the ultimate decisions will rest with you and Ashley if DARC is a go.

Old 02-07-2010 | 12:06 AM
Teamspeed Pro
MexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond repute
The other part that might be fun is to do some full-auto / teamwork through a village, and maybe do some hostage rescues using C4 for breach, flash-bangs as you work through the shoot house, and simunitions with some live role-players for bad guys and hostages. It's not real-world practical for civilians, and it wouldn't be cheap, but it sure is fun.

I've taken a group of CEOs out there before for a 1/2-day executive safety briefing, and just standing on the metal grate second floor of a shoot house during a C4 breach and hostage rescue, with flash bangs and simunitions flying, the looks on their faces was great! Like kids in a candy store . . .

Old 02-07-2010 | 12:14 AM
Teamspeed Pro
"Are you a liabilty, or an asset to society?" Really? I probably shouldn't have watched that Magpul video. Those guys make my hair hurt . . .

Old 02-07-2010 | 12:15 AM
|
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by MexicoBlue
"Are you an asset, or a liability to society?" Really? I probably shouldn't have watched that Magpul video. Those guys make my hair hurt . . .