Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

Gun in the house....

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 06:23 PM
Banned
DrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond repute
Gun in the house....

Ive had a handgun in my household for the last 13+ years. Although I used to be an avid shooter I rarely go to the range. I have always felt secure having a pistol and since Im in the "luxury goods business" it has been ever more important to have a piece handy. My girlfriend, who will be my wife, has become more and more uncomfortable with the concept of "having a gun in the house" and thinks that when we have kids I should get rid of it. Having a baby and being in my business without some type of protection beyond my hands is a pretty insecure scenario for me. I love my girl and I think I need to respect her feelings but obviously I need to make the best decision for us. I know a lot of you gun guys will chime in so give me your thoughts. Thanks

Old 03-13-2008, 06:50 PM
Official TS Crybaby - Forever
Ryan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond repute
First off, theres a new gun sub-forum right under OT.

2nd. If she truly cares about safety then educate her. If theres going to be little ones around then take extra precaution. Being affraid of having an inanimate object in the house is pure ignorance.

educate!

I dont blame you for wanting one handy with your line of work

Old 03-13-2008, 06:52 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Josh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond repute
You've had a gun in the house for over 13 years, which I am assuming is probably longer than you've been together. This is not about you respecting her, this is about her not being able to respect and trust you.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:58 PM
Banned
DrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond repute
thanks for your thoughts guys, I think its a combination of all of the above, her needing some gun education and needing to trust me a bit more. She has have never been to the range with me so maybe that may be a place to start.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:10 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Secure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant future
Hit the range with her and let her see all the young punks there practicing on a Friday night. That is what got my wife. Also show her the video I posted in the gun section.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:25 PM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
1) Educate girl.
2) Share experience of shooting with girl.
3) Failing 1 and 2, dump girl.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:02 PM
Teamspeed Pro
miboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond repute
Jeweler and Family Killed At Home

The story above happened here in the metro Detroit area.

You can get a gun safe. A responsible gun owner, such as yourself, will not let it get into the hands of children.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:48 PM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
Like the guys said, it is a simple matter of education. The house is safer with a means of protection in it. There has never been a gun that woke itself up, loaded, charged, aimed, then squeezed its own trigger.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:30 AM
Teamspeed Pro
CarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Simba
1) Educate girl.
2) Share experience of shooting with girl.
3) Failing 1 and 2, dump girl.
You always seem to succinctly define the situation..LOL

Old 03-14-2008, 08:25 AM
Teamspeed Member
Siegrist has a brilliant futureSiegrist has a brilliant futureSiegrist has a brilliant futureSiegrist has a brilliant futureSiegrist has a brilliant futureSiegrist has a brilliant futureSiegrist has a brilliant futureSiegrist has a brilliant futureSiegrist has a brilliant futureSiegrist has a brilliant futureSiegrist has a brilliant future
I was recently in a very similar situation. In my case, I finally convinced my wife to come to our range and shoot with me. The range is open 24 hours (private club) so I picked a time when no one else would be there so she would feel comfortable and not feel like people were watching her and critiquing her. Long story short she ended up really having a good time and wanted to purchase a smaller pistol for her to cut back on the recoil (went with a .22). I brought her to the local gun shop yesterday and we loaded up on ammo and other accessories which was her idea. We went shooting again last night so she could use her .22 and she had an awesome time.

She is now completely comfortable with the idea and has no issues with them being in the house. This was a very stressful situation months ago around our house. Get her out there with you and show her that there are lots of decent responsible people who own handguns. It also helps that everytime we turn on the news there is a B+E near us or just random campus shootings across the country.

Quick Reply: Gun in the house....