Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

P226 Blackwater or P229 Stainless? (sig newbie alert)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 12:58 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Eddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond reputeEddie has a reputation beyond repute
P226 Blackwater or P229 Stainless? (sig newbie alert)

So I've been debating which piece to purchase, and I'm slightly torn.

First off, I am not a gun expert, but do shoot quite often, and are most fond of Sigs. Brother has several Glocks (g17c 37), and they are nice, but it would be pointless to buy another g17 or 19c.

I'm looking for a piece to mostly use for range shooting, and property defense, I don't see myself using it as a CC piece, since working in DC, and living just outside of it, it's just a pain.

The 229 stainless catches my eye because it's beautiful but seems a touch heavy, and the blackwater seems to be a popular choice among many.

I'm curious how drastic are the differences between the 226 and 229? I know the technical details, but I haven't been able to shoot these two side by side.

So on my list to decide are
226 blackwater
229 elite
229 stainless

And can someone tell me the big deal about nitron finishes? Is it a cosmetic thing or is it an anti-rust function.

Oh, and thanks Gregg for starting to help me out, hope to purchase from you.

Last edited by Eddie; 11-29-2009 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:22 PM
Banned
SoCal is an unknown quantity at this point
I would get the 229 Elite or combat or a P220 combat. Both are sweet pistols bro.

Old 11-29-2009, 01:28 PM
Teamspeed Pro
CarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond repute
I'd look for one of the older frames when they were still coming from Germany...I'm weary of all the new stuff from New Hampshire especially after they got their new CEO from Kimber.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:38 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Huggies will become famous soon enoughHuggies will become famous soon enoughHuggies will become famous soon enoughHuggies will become famous soon enoughHuggies will become famous soon enoughHuggies will become famous soon enoughHuggies will become famous soon enoughHuggies will become famous soon enoughHuggies will become famous soon enough
I have a 226 tactical and a 229 and really like the 229 much better. One of my best friends is with B Dub so I got him the 226 B Dub tactical and then he got a 229 Elite Dark with the TB. Overall the 229 is a better feeling gun in the hand and to both of us a better shooter. His is 9mm and mine is .40 W both like the 229 so much that the 226 B Dub I got him is now a safe queen and I have moved on to an STI Tactical in .40 since I'm a HUGE 1911/2011 fan.

You really can't go wrong with either shop around carefully since I got both of them about $50 over dealer BNIB and way below suggested retail if you have time look for a pre -loved in great shape is Sig's have $hit for resale so if you pay retail and ever go to sell it expect to get about 50%

Old 11-29-2009, 08:42 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Sig's plant is 10 minutes from where I grew up. I remember when they donated to all the local PD. I'm a personal fan of Sig having one of the 220 variants as my side arm in the Marines.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:36 PM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CarbonCycles
I'd look for one of the older frames when they were still coming from Germany...I'm weary of all the new stuff from New Hampshire especially after they got their new CEO from Kimber.
Agreed. Kimbers CEO is not the right guy for Sig.

Other than that, to choosing one of those frames...
Yes, please.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:24 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Secure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant future
I have the 229 currently and have had the 226 BW. My current preference is for the 229 suppressor series.

226 BW with Mosquito

Last edited by Secure; 11-30-2009 at 12:29 AM.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:39 AM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
I don't get the fascination with suppressors frankly.

How many have a "practical" use for them? If one has the need for it from a professional level, I get it. But for the sake of just having them, I don't get it. I certainly am not for restricting them, but at the same time... eh...

Kinda makes me think of the rear echelon guys that had all of the latest and greatest cool guy gear, which will never get dirty.

Not aimed at you Secure. Just a comment since the thread kinda veered off course a bit.

Back on track.

Eddie, for the sake of home defense, consider a Taurus Judge. It is perhaps one of the best personal defense/home defense weapons on the market after a shotgun. Reason being is that it is a pistol that can shoot .410 shotgun shells. It is also very inexpensive. Inexpensive, not cheap.

If I were in your shoes, I'd look for one of the Sig refurb's, and then spend the extra to also get a Taurus Judge. That way you have a cool piece that can be used for your purposes, AND you get a dedicated home defense weapon.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:36 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Secure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant future
Being a C3 dealer I have to keep them in stock for customers. They are more of a novelty for most but I do have guys that are using them to effectively control their hog populations.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:08 AM
TeH Ears
Understood! A good example of an other than military use! And arguably, the original intent of such devices.

I think you see the point I was getting though. Nothing more than a discussion point.

Quick Reply: P226 Blackwater or P229 Stainless? (sig newbie alert)