Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

P99QA 9mm vs. SW99QA 9mm

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 07:11 AM
Teamspeed Pro
StrikerX50 has a reputation beyond reputeStrikerX50 has a reputation beyond reputeStrikerX50 has a reputation beyond reputeStrikerX50 has a reputation beyond reputeStrikerX50 has a reputation beyond reputeStrikerX50 has a reputation beyond reputeStrikerX50 has a reputation beyond reputeStrikerX50 has a reputation beyond reputeStrikerX50 has a reputation beyond reputeStrikerX50 has a reputation beyond reputeStrikerX50 has a reputation beyond repute
P99QA 9mm vs. SW99QA 9mm

Alright, so I'm about 3-4 weeks away from making my first handgun purchase. I know the SW99 model is a collaboration between Walther and Smith & Wesson. My question is this - is there any real difference between the two to make someone lean more towards one than the other? I'm 99% set on the P99, but I'm also looking at the SW99 for economical reasons. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:50 AM
Teamspeed Pro
CarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond repute
I've always been a Walther fan - you normally can't go wrong with a German made item.

S&W's QC has been hit and miss IMO. Either way, good luck on your first purchase and just make sure to get some quality range time in.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:04 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Schwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond repute
I am a German/Austrian gun fan. However you will find more accessory parts made for the S&W then for the Walther. I have Walther PPS in .40, it took over 3 months to get extra magazines. No question I love the craftmanship of the Walther but you better keep it clean as well. It ain't no Glock that you can shoot no matter what.

Good luck

Old 07-09-2009, 10:00 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Brett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond repute
For a nice polymer German made gun that in that price range, you should check out the SP2022. Everybody who I have met that has one raves about the reliability, quality/fit & finish, and the excellent trigger. It has a few different interchangable grip options, and also has won several big military contracts in recent years.

Products & Services

Sig Sauer SIGPRO 2022 9mm, DA/SA - NIGHT SIGHTS - Top Gun Supply

You can read several first hand experiences with it here:
SIG Pistols - Forum Powered by Eve For Enterprise

Old 07-09-2009, 03:40 PM
Teamspeed Pro
StrikerX50 has a reputation beyond reputeStrikerX50 has a reputation beyond reputeStrikerX50 has a reputation beyond reputeStrikerX50 has a reputation beyond reputeStrikerX50 has a reputation beyond reputeStrikerX50 has a reputation beyond reputeStrikerX50 has a reputation beyond reputeStrikerX50 has a reputation beyond reputeStrikerX50 has a reputation beyond reputeStrikerX50 has a reputation beyond reputeStrikerX50 has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not too concerned with accessory parts at this point. And if I really have the need for more magazines, the SW99's 9mm mags can be used in the P99 no problem. I guess it's going to come down to which one is in my dealer's inventory and whether or not I'm willing to go the extra couple of hundred more for the Walther.

And that SIG is nice, but my dealer can't seem to keep them in stock long enough for me to get down there and see one. I had to see one at the recent Crossroads of the West show and someone damn near snatched it from my hand to buy it.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:13 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Anyone have any opinons on the P99? I've spent the last few nights reading reviews of both the Anti-Stress and Quick Action trigger groups and both have gotten pretty good, even reviews. I thought I knew which trigger set-up I wanted, but am now undecided again.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:20 AM
Teamspeed Pro
CarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond repute
This might sound silly but have you shot either one of them using the same ammo? I think that might help you make your decision pretty quickly.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:50 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Come to think of it I haven't. The range I go to doesn't have any rental P99s and I don't know their policy on letting me try before I buy. Do most ranges let you test drive firearms before purchase?

Old 07-13-2009, 11:24 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by StrikerX50
Come to think of it I haven't. The range I go to doesn't have any rental P99s and I don't know their policy on letting me try before I buy. Do most ranges let you test drive firearms before purchase?

Many ranges will let you rent their guns; just be prepared to use their overly expensive ammo (range rules). I'd call around and ask if they have the pistols you're interested in.

IMO, comparing specs on paper is useless - I used to do that until I drove myself insane. When the SHTF, no one cares if your trigger is really super-duper awesome (as long as it's factory and popo can't make a stink out of it). Find one you really like holding, looking at and shooting. The more you find yourself comfortable with it, the more you will go shoot it.

Also, peoples choices change in time. I once preferred DA/SA, now I'd rather stick with a rather simple but nice DA/LEM setup (i.e. HK snob converted to a Glock junkie)

Good luck and be sure to post up what you finally buy!

Old 07-14-2009, 11:48 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Brett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CarbonCycles
When the SHTF, no one cares if your trigger is really super-duper awesome
Yep, trigger options can sound cool on paper, but ultimately since this will be your first and presumably only handgun for a while, I think you should shop based on reliability and accuracy first. And by accuracy, I mean ergonomics and controls that fit you well enough to shoot the gun accurately even if you encounter a high stress situation.

So get out to the local gun stores and start fondling weapons. I fired nearly a dozen different pistols, and handled another dozen before I purchased my Sig P226 in .40 S&W as my first pistol. The reliability and accuracy of the P226 are very well known and it has been completely flawless in 1000 rounds. The fat grip fits my bigger hands well, I liked the location of the controls, and I also liked the DA/SA trigger for not having to blunder with a manual safety.

Guns that I initially thought I would like either didn't fit my hands well or didn't shoot as well as the P226 did in my hands when I actually checked them out in person.

Originally Posted by StrikerX50
And that SIG is nice, but my dealer can't seem to keep them in stock long enough for me to get down there and see one. I had to see one at the recent Crossroads of the West show and someone damn near snatched it from my hand to buy it.
This should tell you something!