Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

Glock 19 vs. Glock 19C

Old 02-15-2008, 10:52 PM
GOB
Teamspeed Junior Member
GOB has a reputation beyond reputeGOB has a reputation beyond reputeGOB has a reputation beyond reputeGOB has a reputation beyond reputeGOB has a reputation beyond reputeGOB has a reputation beyond reputeGOB has a reputation beyond reputeGOB has a reputation beyond reputeGOB has a reputation beyond reputeGOB has a reputation beyond reputeGOB has a reputation beyond repute
Question Glock 19 vs. Glock 19C

I have the opportunity (few slots per year here...) to get either one of these next month and not sure which of the two to get. Its primarily just a "in case the $h!t hits the fan" at night self defense weapon (my short temper is not conducive to carry one ). I want for my wife to be able to use it too (5'7", 105 lbs) and some tell me that the fire out the nozzle from the C version will scare her (I don't think so if she knows to expect it) and will blind the shooter too. To "compensate" for this, I plan to add the Lasermax laser, but some tell me not to do it as I would replace a critical piece (recoil spring) with an aftermarket unit, regarless if NATO approved or not So, taking into consideration my expected use (hopefully never), users (I can handle it fine, its my wife I have concerns about), which would you pick? I selected Glock because there is an infinite amount of products/support for it and does not need too much maintenance (not really a gun freak, just want to be prepared in case somebody decides to threaten my family, or for my wife to defend herself while I am out of the house during my constant business travel). Opinions? Suggestions?

Old 02-15-2008, 11:14 PM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
You do not need the compensated weapon. Very few people need the compensated weapon. A compensated weapon is best used for competition, during the day. A compensated weapon is an awful choice for a home, or self defense weapon.

To make the weapon easy to use with a laser, your best option is the 19 with Crimson Trace grips. Crimson Trace grips are bar none, the most natural to use, unobtrusive lasers to use. The laser functions when you grip the weapon properly. It does not require you to hit a switch, hanging off the front of the weapon.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but... A SHTF weapon needs to be as simple to use as possible. you do not need a blast cone blinding you, or a laser that your trying to turn on. A non comp'd gun, with crimson trace fits precisely your stipulations.

I'm speaking as a guy that is a firearms trainer to law enforcement, military and civilians btw.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:30 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Secure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant future
Agree with all of Choke's point. KISS!
In the event that you NEED the weapon, you will want it to be as painless as possible.
Also make sure to get the wife some good range time with the weapon. Have her fire off a few hundred rounds frequently to make sure she is comfortable.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:47 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
jstgermaine is an unknown quantity at this point
I echo both Secure and chokeu2.

My wife has a small .380 that fits her hands perfectly and she is comfortable with all aspects of it. She has a CPL and while her company doesn't allow firearms on your person while at work, they do not forbid them being carried in your vehicle.

She travels all over the midwest to some pretty shady areas of towns doing property takeovers...knowing that she has a firearm to protect herself allows me to sleep at night.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:08 AM
Teamspeed Pro
ajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond repute
I have both, and the flash from the compensated nozzle on a 9mm isn't too bad. However, the recoil of a properly lubed Glock isn't bad either so a compensator really isn't necessary. If you buy a Glock, run about 250 rounds through it, then clean it and lube the crap out of it with CLP. It'll feed great and the smoothness will reduce the recoil a bit.*Shameless plug for CLP- my guns are all pretty drenched in it and it really helps ease feeding and cleaning*

Crimson Trace is the only laser you should consider. That said, in "combat" shooting, and I "" combat because my only such shooting is in tactical courses, I'm not even really using my sights and think a laser would mess me up or make me lazy. I guess it's a good backup if you need a little more precision for aiming (and provided you have the laser dialed in right and are at the right distance with your gun/ammo/wind not a factor. . . .) but I don't have lasers on any of my guns.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:31 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
SWATDoc has a reputation beyond reputeSWATDoc has a reputation beyond reputeSWATDoc has a reputation beyond reputeSWATDoc has a reputation beyond reputeSWATDoc has a reputation beyond reputeSWATDoc has a reputation beyond reputeSWATDoc has a reputation beyond reputeSWATDoc has a reputation beyond reputeSWATDoc has a reputation beyond reputeSWATDoc has a reputation beyond reputeSWATDoc has a reputation beyond repute
Several very good points already posted and I agree with them all, but if your wife needs to be comfortable with it then I would suggest a revolver and if laser is a must then consider this: http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...04&isFirearm=Y Revolvers don't jam and come in smaller frames for smaller hands. Additionally, some ladies do not have the upper body strength to easily chamber a round (work the slide) and the last thing you want is a jam when the "fit hits the shan". BTW, I'm a Glock man and highly recommend them as long as you're comfortable with them. Between the Glocks, I would skip the compensator. Just my two cents.

Old 02-16-2008, 02:10 PM
GOB
Teamspeed Junior Member
GOB has a reputation beyond reputeGOB has a reputation beyond reputeGOB has a reputation beyond reputeGOB has a reputation beyond reputeGOB has a reputation beyond reputeGOB has a reputation beyond reputeGOB has a reputation beyond reputeGOB has a reputation beyond reputeGOB has a reputation beyond reputeGOB has a reputation beyond reputeGOB has a reputation beyond repute
Thank you all for your replies, especially Choke! I will go the non compensator route and will change the laser to the Crimson Trace one. The laser is there just for my wife so she would know what she is hitting in case visibility is somewhat limited (non use of sights). Again, thank you all for your comments!

Old 04-05-2008, 02:14 PM
GOB
Teamspeed Junior Member
Just wanted to updated this thread by thanking you all and letting you know that I just ordered the Glock 19 and the Crimson Trace laser grip. The gun should be in my hands in ±2 months (LOTS of government red tape to get a permit down here) and the Crimson will be mine next week. Took my bro in law this morning to the store and he got himself a Glock 26 with with night sights and a "plus 2" magazine to make sure most of his fingers of his right hand fit there

Old 05-25-2008, 10:14 PM
Teamspeed Member
MementoMori is a jewel in the roughMementoMori is a jewel in the roughMementoMori is a jewel in the roughMementoMori is a jewel in the roughMementoMori is a jewel in the roughMementoMori is a jewel in the roughMementoMori is a jewel in the roughMementoMori is a jewel in the roughMementoMori is a jewel in the roughMementoMori is a jewel in the roughMementoMori is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by GOB
I have the opportunity (few slots per year here...) to get either one of these next month and not sure which of the two to get. Its primarily just a "in case the $h!t hits the fan" at night self defense weapon (my short temper is not conducive to carry one ). I want for my wife to be able to use it too (5'7", 105 lbs) and some tell me that the fire out the nozzle from the C version will scare her (I don't think so if she knows to expect it) and will blind the shooter too. To "compensate" for this, I plan to add the Lasermax laser, but some tell me not to do it as I would replace a critical piece (recoil spring) with an aftermarket unit, regarless if NATO approved or not So, taking into consideration my expected use (hopefully never), users (I can handle it fine, its my wife I have concerns about), which would you pick? I selected Glock because there is an infinite amount of products/support for it and does not need too much maintenance (not really a gun freak, just want to be prepared in case somebody decides to threaten my family, or for my wife to defend herself while I am out of the house during my constant business travel). Opinions? Suggestions?
Thanks for making this post. It was a good read. I'm actually picking up a G19 soon for SHTF and range duties and... oddly... my gf is also 5'7 105lbs

Old 05-25-2008, 11:36 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with most of this thread except the revolver part. Revolvers CAN jam (though VERY infrequently) and they are all double-action, thus requiring one hell of a trigger pull. A Glock is the closest thing to a DA revolver but with much more capacity and a third or less of the trigger pull. Another fallacy is to buy as small a gun as possible. If she can hold a Glock 17 (same grip size as a Glock 19), get her the full size gun. Less recoil, even more capacity, better accuracy, etc.

I am also an instructor for the big boys...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Glock 19 vs. Glock 19C