Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

Springfield G.I. .45 pricing and opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 01:36 AM
Teamspeed Pro
M5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Springfield G.I. .45 pricing and opinions

Well, I'm two months from my 21st birthday, and my old man has agreed to split the cost of my first handgun with me as my birthday present. I'm really interested in the 4" G.I., and it's within my budget as well. I'm somewhat hesitant to be starting out with a 1911 .45 as my first handgun. However, I really enjoy the 1911 frame and feel, and know that Springfield make a quality weapon.

Of course, I could always pick up something like a Glock G19, but I want your thoughts on the G.I. .45 (that is, on the caliber, model, etc.). Also, what's competitive pricing on this gun?

Shortly after the purchase I'll be applying for my CWP license as well, and looking into a membership at a local range.

Thanks for taking the time to give your thoughts guys, as I know I've asked similar questions previously . . .

Old 02-16-2009, 08:31 AM
Teamspeed Pro
CarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond repute
M5Kid, this is JMHO, but I would steer you away from a 1911 as your first handgun - 1911s have an incredibly crisp trigger but they are like a high maintenance cougar...finiky as all hell when they want to be, requires more attention but totally worth it when you catch her at the right time.

Personally, if this was my first, I'd get something in very good used or LNIB 9mm such as a S&W, Glock, or my favorite HK. This will keep the ammo costs down; you won't feel so bad when you fawk her up (i.e., operator induced error, dropping the pistol, holster wear, etc.); and encourage you to go shoot more often. At the same time, you can save up (or put the remaining balance into a higher end 1911) when you are ready. Btw, to make the jump from a 9mm to a 45cal is really nothing at all - I personally enjoy shooting the 45 cal but at the price of ammo now of days, the 9mm is seeing a lot more action.

Every American should have at least one 1911 in their collection!

Old 02-16-2009, 09:36 AM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
First, don't get caught up in the caliber argument. Just learn to shoot whatever is in your hand to the best of your ability.

I would concur with CC to a degree. Back in the day, the 1911 was THE option to start with, because there wasn't much available. It is a little more complicated to get your head around once you've experienced the Glocks, Sigs, etc. That said, if the feel of the 1911 is what you like, get on it.

The GI model from Springfield is a nice piece for the price. It is a good place to enter the 1911 market indeed.

My first was a 1911, and the 1911 is still my favorite. I think that because of the extra attention that working a 1911 has made me a better firearms guy to this day. A 1911 does not allow you to be complacent.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:26 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Brett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond repute
If you are going to carry, it helps to think about what trigger type you are most comfortable with. Carrying a 1911 with a round chambered, the hammer cocked and safety on wasn't comfortable for me for my first handgun (justified or not). I also wanted something that wasn't as finiky as others have said.

So I went with a DA/SA Sig P226 that is carried with the hammer not cocked and the first pull is a heavier dual action pull similar to the Glock. No safety to worry about, just aim and squeeze. With the DA/SA Sig trigger the follow up shots are a much shorter, lighter, single action pull though, which I really liked. You just of course have to use the decocker before putting it back in the holster.

I shoot my buddies 1911 all the time, it is a very nice piece and I love the trigger. The ergonomics of the Sig fit my hand much better as well which is what sealed the deal for me. I spent quite a bit of time window shopping and shot about a dozen different rentals of all types before finding what worked best for me. It's almost as fun as test driving cars!

Old 02-16-2009, 11:13 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Overtaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by M5Kid
I really enjoy the 1911 frame and feel
That's what counts, and there's nothing wrong with the .45 ACP.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:40 PM
Teamspeed Pro
M5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for all the suggestions and insight so far guys. I've started the process now because I wanted to spend adequate time surveying all the different options, test firing, window shopping, etc. before making a decision.

To date, the G.I. .45 was the option that caught my eye the best, but I'm still very open to other ideas . . .

Other's insight as well as follow up thoughts are always appreciated. In fact, simple ramblings are valuable as well.

Last edited by M5Kid; 02-16-2009 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:44 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Redlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond repute
Buy what you feel comfortable shooting. My two favorites are a Beretta 9mm stainless as well as a Springfield Armory V10. That 1911 sub compact is fantastic to shoot, although I don't think they make it anymore.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:20 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Secure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant future
I agree with the other guys here....Go shoot A BUNCH of guns. I don't agree though with the 1911 not being a good first gun. I think you would do fine with it once you learn the gun. I have owned quite a few and while they are a little more maintenance they do payoff in the shooting feel and accuracy department. Of course your mileage may vary but don't count it out as a first weapon.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:52 PM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
Go to a range that does rentals and try as many as you can. Then buy whatever you enjoy shooting the most, and are most accurate with.

That said, there's absolutely nothing wrong with starting with a .45. I was sending lead down range with one of my father's at the tender age of 12 or so. The simplicity and accuracy of the pistol is pretty hard to argue with.

Plus, it's cool when you blow a half pound of plywood out behind the target with each round.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:37 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Let me ask this: is there any mainstream brand or model that I should avoid as I begin to head out looking and shooting some different guns? It seems handgun choice is highly subjective, but I'm curious whether there is a general consensus to stay away from certain brands or models?

I'll be looking into some different 1911's (with the Springfield being at the top) as well as Glock, Kahr, and maybe Sig if I can swallow their prices.

Quick Reply: Springfield G.I. .45 pricing and opinions