Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

Clean your guns!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 08:18 PM
Teamspeed Pro
M5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Clean your guns!

Just got back from a pheasant shoot in central Oregon. My Beretta misfired one me twice. Not sure exactly what was going on, but the action wasn't operating properly, and it wasn't feeding correctly either. No indentations from the firing pin on the brass. Wasn't a huge issue, as by the time this happened it was near the end of the hunt and we had already bagged 13 birds. But, it's a good lesson to lazy old me who thought he could get away with a simple solvent clean out in the action and barrel swab for the season. Will be taking the whole thing apart before it's in the field again. Anyway, just a friendly reminder.

I should probably apologize to the dogs, after locking up two roosters and not having anything fall out of the sky, they looked mad.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:10 PM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
Range guns generally don't see as much goop as field guns. Anything you take in the sticks should get a complete cleaning every time.

Well, unless it's an AK.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:06 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Secure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant future
Second on the field gun strip down. Gotta do it. Also, you can use these when you are feeling super lazy.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:09 PM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
^^^^ I see you... lurking anonymously...

Old 01-03-2009, 02:51 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Secure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by chokeu2
^^^^ I see you... lurking anonymously...
How? I is wearing camo.......

Old 01-03-2009, 03:00 PM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be in your neck of the woods on Tuesday mang... My office is at 4025 Midway...

Old 01-03-2009, 04:46 PM
Teamspeed Pro
M5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Simba
Range guns generally don't see as much goop as field guns. Anything you take in the sticks should get a complete cleaning every time.

Well, unless it's an AK.
Yep, that is probably the problem. It hasn't seen very many shells through it, but it does get exposed to the elements. I did a very thin layer of Rem oil after I used Hoppes 9 solvent a few days ago, and I was told by another long time Beretta shooter that was probably the problem. These guns don't like that oil, no matter how thin of an application. Things get all gooped up in there, causing misfires.

Regardless, it's just a result of me being careless. Lesson learned.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:48 PM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
Berettas hate Hoppes. Even the pistols in my experience. I use a lightweight 3-in-1 electric motor oil and it works great.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:21 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by Simba
Berettas hate Hoppes. Even the pistols in my experience. I use a lightweight 3-in-1 electric motor oil and it works great.
Oh, so you don't think the Rem oil was the problem, instead it was the Hoppes solvent?

Old 01-08-2009, 06:54 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Loki1911 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Loki1911 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Loki1911 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Loki1911 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Loki1911 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Loki1911 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Loki1911 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Loki1911 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Loki1911 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Loki1911 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Loki1911 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Break-free is a great cleaner lubricant... just one think to remember is no matter how clean your weapon is when you store it, when you retrieve it it will be dirty again so even if you dont shoot a particular weapon it should be cleaned regularly.

Quick Reply: Clean your guns!