Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

I need some help with concealed carry stuff

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 10:49 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ttgangsta has a reputation beyond reputettgangsta has a reputation beyond reputettgangsta has a reputation beyond reputettgangsta has a reputation beyond reputettgangsta has a reputation beyond reputettgangsta has a reputation beyond reputettgangsta has a reputation beyond reputettgangsta has a reputation beyond reputettgangsta has a reputation beyond reputettgangsta has a reputation beyond reputettgangsta has a reputation beyond repute
I need some help with concealed carry stuff

First: Holster Design

I am thinking about getting a IWB holster for the kimber. I wondered if you guys had any other ideas or at least what you guys were using and found most comfortable over the years. (It's a Kimber Ultra CDP II .45)

Also I am probably going to pickup a Rohrbaugh R9 and I was pondering an ankle holster but I have no idea what it will feel like after a week or two of use ect. Does it just get really annoying? Would I be better off with an IWB?

Second:

What .45 ammo do you recommend for Defense
Same question with 9mm

Third:

Can you guys think of anything else I should get or think of. I just haven't carried for long enough to know the tricks or what's the most comfortable and I thought you guys might have some ideas.

Thanks,
Bill

Old 12-08-2008, 10:54 AM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
Yep...
More time on the range before you start carrying.

Check out the Blackhawk holdsters. They are light, comfortable, and clip on many ways. They also have a retention button, so you'll need to get used to that.

Biggest issue is getting to the range to get comfortable with drawing your weapon without shooting yourself.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:33 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Listen to everything Brian has to say. He knows this stuff better than anyone.

I still use the trusty Bianci inside-the-waist-band holster. Of course, I live in California now and can't ever use it. But when I lived in the United States, I carried every day and it worked great.

Blackhawk makes great products. I like their MOD (Master of Defense) series. Check it out on lapolicegear.com. They have great deals and everything in stock.

I have two boxes of .45 ACP Talon hollow points. When you are CC you should not waste time on anything but a total stopping round. I believe that the Talons are legal to possess and resell in most states. I have seen boxes selling for $100 per box for 30 rounds. Well worth it in my opinion. You don't take those babies to the range.

Do everything you can to familiarize yourself with the weapon. Personal instruction is always great. But most of all, look deep inside of yourself and determine what your limits are. A concealed handgun can be more dangerous to you than a perp if you are not prepared to go all the way.

Just my opinion. Good luck!

Last edited by Barrister; 12-08-2008 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:37 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ttgangsta has a reputation beyond reputettgangsta has a reputation beyond reputettgangsta has a reputation beyond reputettgangsta has a reputation beyond reputettgangsta has a reputation beyond reputettgangsta has a reputation beyond reputettgangsta has a reputation beyond reputettgangsta has a reputation beyond reputettgangsta has a reputation beyond reputettgangsta has a reputation beyond reputettgangsta has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by chokeu2
Yep...
More time on the range before you start carrying.

Check out the Blackhawk holdsters. They are light, comfortable, and clip on many ways. They also have a retention button, so you'll need to get used to that.

Biggest issue is getting to the range to get comfortable with drawing your weapon without shooting yourself.

I agree 100% I want to get my license ASAP though just in case the legislation changes. The reason I post everything on here is because I know you guys are one of my best assets in terms of reliable information and I know you wont BS me or try and pump my ego. I realize I have plenty of things I need to work on before carrying a weapon. I just want to identify them, fix/change them, and prepare myself as best as I can. Please feel free to speak your mind, I know that you are only helping me even if I don't like what I hear.

Brian I will take any and all advice from you guys with complete humility. I just bought a membership at the range so I can shoot free monday-friday. I certainly don't want to be plaxico! I am gonna start looking into reloaders too so I can cut the cost down a bit.

What do you recommend in terms rough numbers for how many rounds I should put through each gun before I am safe not to shoot myself? I was thinking 1500-2000, the kimber needs 500 for break-in anyways.

I am jumping into this completely I even got my dad to shoot a pistol for the first time in his life this weekend.

Also I am gonna try and take some advanced training in rifle tactics and pistols. I want to learn the way things really go in a variety of situations, not what the movies say. Unfortunately I think I have probably been brainwashed by Hollywood on a lot of this stuff and I want to get rid of that. If you know of anything in particular please PM me the info. If nothing else I'll prob go campout with a really good family friend who was a huge undercover guy in Miami and have him teach me a bunch of stuff about how to detect bad situations and get out before they explode. The stories in Miami Vice are largely based on this guy, well Don Johnson plays this guy, but he didn't have the silk shirts or the ferrari.

Best,
Bill

Last edited by ttgangsta; 12-08-2008 at 11:41 AM.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:00 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Dr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond repute
If you can find one, the Brommeland Max Con V IWB holster is the best. Try these guys Brommeland Gunleather Concealed Carry Holsters at Coal Creek Armory - 865.966.4545 give them a call and see if they have a 3" 1911 Max Con V in stock.
Take some classes, join your local range and remember to practice at home (obviously make double sure the gun is unloaded). Drawing, dry firing until it's second nature.
No experience with ankle holsters.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:05 PM
Teamspeed Pro
miboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond repute
Just a few things that I have found.

Practice, practice, practice....

Like everything, once the sh*t hit the fans, the thing that saves you is instinct. If you practice drawing, aiming and shooting enough, your instincts will take over when you need them.

Also remember that most confrontations take place within a few feet of your position. You won't have time to draw, line up the sights, and put a bullet between the eyes.

So the most important things are

1) quality of your pistol.
2) quality of Ammo
3) holster ease of use.

If you can't draw, you can't shoot. And if your gun jams, you can't shoot.

Practice drawing. Try on different clothes, and practice drawing from the holster while wearing different attire. Practice from the seated position also. (car confrontations) Put the gun inthe holster, and sit in the car...is it comfortable? Should you have a separate place for the gun in the car?

These are all things that I have done, so hopefully you'll try a few out, and get used to different situations.

Cheers, and don't shoot your eye out.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:09 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Yonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond repute
Bill,

Other than holsters, there are also fanny packs(I know, I know...) as well as day planner style portfolios that look professional and would not stand out in a crowd or board room.

I would suggest checking out Cabela's (personal favorite) and ordering as much ammo as you can afford to take to the range. I regularly burn thru 300-500 rounds at the range in short order each trip. Of course, I may shoot more than others... I use hollowpoints as well as my home defense round (forget the brand,I have had them for a while), and I use (flame suit on) Wolf in 9mm for plinking at the range.

I also suggest you fire at least a box of the rounds you intend on carrying for protection. Not every round is the same. They all go down range, but the recoil, point of impact, muzzle blast all are slightly different. I would encourage you become familiar with all aspects.

2,000 rounds will provide you with a pretty close relationship to your firearms. However, it is my opinion that it is just the start of your love affair. I would consider it just the first kiss. Shooting at paper targets is like riding a bike, once you understand the principles, you can transfer them to all handguns(grip, posture, trigger pull).

Some ranges have issues with you pulling from the holster and firing. You may want to check out the "rules" for the range so as not to anger the range master.

Being profiecient with a handgun is a skill that needs constant attention. It appears you are off the the right start.

Good luck, and hopefully you will never have to drawdown on some one.
Wilson

Old 12-08-2008, 12:11 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Dr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond repute
About ammo. The 3" 1911 can be fussy. Make sure yours is completely reliable (at least 500rds with the ammo you will be carrying without a missfeed or jam). Mine had some teething issues. Some hollow points it didn't like. I came across these This article appeared in the April 2000 issue of Guns Federal EFMJ (Expanding Full Metal Jacket) that feed like a FMJ but expand like a hollow point. All my 1911s love them. That's what I carry.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:50 PM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
KISS principle brother.

When you do go to the range, once you're fairly comfortable with drawing your weapon, work on shooting from odd angles, and off hand shooting. In a bad situation, you're probably not going to be able to get into a "stance" and take good aim.

You'll in all likelihood need to fire (if you're in that bad of a surprise situation) from somewhere between halfway extended to full extension of your arms. Meaning, you'll probably get hit under the chin with a hot shell casing.

If your range offers it, get on with one of their trainers. We can all wax poetic about shooting techniques all day on here, but unless you're standing there putting rounds down range; it may be all for nothing. Get an instructor to show you how to shoot off hand and from about half extension near your chest.

The key to off hand shooting is to NOT fight the recoil, and I personally find that if I hold the pistol at about a 45 degree angle (half thug style ) and let the recoil happen, I'm more easily able to get off a good shot and return the weapon to "normal".

Shooting from around the chest area as if really caught off guard is something that you need to know too, simply because when that SHTF situation occurs, you may need to be able to react from extremely short range, or need a little extra space if the guy is running in on you.

As far as the holsters, you have to go to the range and fit them bro. For a situation where your life can be affected, you need to be really comfortable with your weapon and its accessories. None of it means anything if you can't work it without thinking.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:44 PM
I'm closing this thread.
Alex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond repute
^ @ "half thug style".

I don't believe the fine gentlemen above have shorted you on any info. Shoot as much as you can. Keep your tool clean and well oiled. Finger off the trigger until you have acquired your target. Oh, practice, practice, practice.

Shoot straight and be safe!

Quick Reply: I need some help with concealed carry stuff