Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

How much SHTF ammo are you guys keeping?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 09:52 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ttgangsta has a reputation beyond reputettgangsta has a reputation beyond reputettgangsta has a reputation beyond reputettgangsta has a reputation beyond reputettgangsta has a reputation beyond reputettgangsta has a reputation beyond reputettgangsta has a reputation beyond reputettgangsta has a reputation beyond reputettgangsta has a reputation beyond reputettgangsta has a reputation beyond reputettgangsta has a reputation beyond repute
How much SHTF ammo are you guys keeping?

I need ammo for my AR15 and I am about to pickup a Kimber Ultra Carry II and I am trying to decide how much ammo to buy at these current inflated prices. If things do get crazy I will just need .223/5.56 and .45 acp which are all pretty standard and can be had anywhere. Also I doubt ammo companies will randomly seize production and/or importation of ammunition considering the demand will be immense. I would rather hedge my bet and just keep a couple hundred rounds of each for a short term supply even if I have to pay up in the future. Is this foolish? I just don't want to waste $1000 on ammo for the AR if its going to cost 75 cents on the dollar in two months.

Thanks,
Bill

Old 12-03-2008, 10:00 AM
Coming Soon
Hossfly has a reputation beyond reputeHossfly has a reputation beyond reputeHossfly has a reputation beyond reputeHossfly has a reputation beyond reputeHossfly has a reputation beyond reputeHossfly has a reputation beyond reputeHossfly has a reputation beyond reputeHossfly has a reputation beyond reputeHossfly has a reputation beyond reputeHossfly has a reputation beyond reputeHossfly has a reputation beyond repute
I doubt that ammo will drop in price at any point in the relevant future. I've always kept a lot of 9mm, .40, and .45 on hand. I currently have about 1500-2000 rounds of each.

Yesterday, I purchased 2000 rounds of 5.56. I would also like to purchase a case or two of 5.7 for the PS90.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:06 AM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
Hoss is right, the price isn't going to drop significantly anytime soon. Pick it where and when you can. So far, the only place that I know of that has decent prices locally is Wal Mart. Beyond that, you need to be prepared to order online.

At the moment, the guys that I know who have great prices online just fought off an onslaught of a bunch of veterans buying up all their stuff. In a couple of weeks there are a couple small ammo companys that make good ammo, who will have ample supplies at fair prices. I'll post a heads up when that happens.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:30 AM
Full of Win.
Gobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond repute
I have about 1000 rounds for the AR-15 and am slowly working up to similar numbers for the various handguns I own.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:01 PM
Coming Soon
Hossfly has a reputation beyond reputeHossfly has a reputation beyond reputeHossfly has a reputation beyond reputeHossfly has a reputation beyond reputeHossfly has a reputation beyond reputeHossfly has a reputation beyond reputeHossfly has a reputation beyond reputeHossfly has a reputation beyond reputeHossfly has a reputation beyond reputeHossfly has a reputation beyond reputeHossfly has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by chokeu2
So far, the only place that I know of that has decent prices locally is Wal Mart. Beyond that, you need to be prepared to order online.
Same here, with the exception of the occasional deal at Academy Sports. The local Wal-Mart has 9mm WWB (100 rounds) for $18.58. .40 WWB (100 rounds) for $26.27. .45 WWB (100 Rounds) for $29.27.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:08 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Secure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant future
I really don't think you can have too much ammo at this stage of the game. If money is no issue ya may as well stock up as much as you can handle from a storage perspective. It's well known that these prices we see today are not going any lower. There really is no reason why they would. Supply is getting smaller and demand is getting bigger. We all know what that means.
I am doing an ammo group buy for a bunch of my local folks to let them take advantage of the supplies while they last. It's the least I can do.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:11 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
If it's for "the day", I don't worry about it - if I need to move, I am only going to carry so much ammo. Stockpiling is good in theory, but if the motivation is to "be prepared", I'd much rather sacrifice that case of 5.56 for water and food, esp. when I can "find" more ammo later.

I might keep one battle pack (500-700 rds) for a rifle and maybe 100-200 rounds for a pistol. Not the conventional wisdom, but if you think about it, it works.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:20 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Do any of you AR-15 owners have the .22 caliber kit? My pal had one. You just dropped it in and you could shoot .22 caliber rounds with the AR. Great setup.

I have about 5,000 rounds between my 6 guns. I feel pretty safe with that right now.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:24 PM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Barrister
Do any of you AR-15 owners have the .22 caliber kit? My pal had one. You just dropped it in and you could shoot .22 caliber rounds with the AR. Great setup.

I have about 5,000 rounds between my 6 guns. I feel pretty safe with that right now.
A couple buddy's have those set ups and they love them. I keep forgetting to get one...

Old 12-03-2008, 01:04 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Dr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond reputeDr. T has a reputation beyond repute
Just ordered another 1000rds 5.56. Gives me that warm all over feeling.

Quick Reply: How much SHTF ammo are you guys keeping?