Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

Question for the FFL's here

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 07:06 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Question for the FFL's here

I am thinking of building a gun collection out of state and keep it out of state, so that when we eventually move, we will have nice shiny good stuff waiting for us.

Is it legal for me to attend an out of state gun show and buy firearms there if the firearms stay in that state and is not brought across state line?

Also, is it legal for me to go to an out of state gun store and buy firearms there if the firearms stay in that state and is not brought across state line?

Old 11-30-2008, 09:50 PM
Coming Soon
Hossfly has a reputation beyond reputeHossfly has a reputation beyond reputeHossfly has a reputation beyond reputeHossfly has a reputation beyond reputeHossfly has a reputation beyond reputeHossfly has a reputation beyond reputeHossfly has a reputation beyond reputeHossfly has a reputation beyond reputeHossfly has a reputation beyond reputeHossfly has a reputation beyond reputeHossfly has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by stuka
I am thinking of building a gun collection out of state and keep it out of state, so that when we eventually move, we will have nice shiny good stuff waiting for us.

Is it legal for me to attend an out of state gun show and buy firearms there if the firearms stay in that state and is not brought across state line?

Also, is it legal for me to go to an out of state gun store and buy firearms there if the firearms stay in that state and is not brought across state line?
I'm not a FFL, but I think the answer to both questions is yes (it's legal). I've often seen people at local gun shows making purchases with out-of-state ID's. When I bought the Sig 556 the other day, the guy in front of me was from Florida and he was purchasing several guns.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:23 PM
Full of Win.
Gobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond repute
I think you need to get an answer from an FFL then (I know, that's why you asked). I've attended various gun shows in other states and as soon as they hear I live in MD they won't sell me a thing.

Even buying an AR-15 from another member here took having his gun store in VA mail it to my gun store in MD, all the necessary paperwork, 10 day waiting period, etc, etc. that all in all took about 30 days to complete the transaction.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:24 AM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Geez, our other residence is in MD, I guess we are better off having the MIL buy it and keep it, then when the time comes, gift it to us.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:44 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Secure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant future
FFL Here - Yes, it is legal to do both.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:07 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
Originally Posted by Secure
Thanks!

Old 12-01-2008, 09:14 PM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
There ya go. Beat me to it.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:45 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
My guess is they still might give me a hard time if they ask for my ID when I am in MD visiting family.

If they do, I guess my MIL will just have to buy and keep them for us.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:06 AM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
Interesting, I just got this email from an FFL in CA on the same questions posted here:

Any interstate firearms transaction needs to go through an FFL in your home state. If you are not an Arizona resident they will not sell you anything.

But, I am leaving the firearms in the state where the firearms are purchased. This guy seems to think that it doesn't matter. That since I am not a resident of that state, any sale is considered interstate sale.

Is he blowing smoke up my behind?

Old 12-02-2008, 10:10 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Secure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant futureSecure has a brilliant future
I think that is incorrect. Best to check with the ATF though. They DEFINITELY know.

Quick Reply: Question for the FFL's here