Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

My First Time at the Range

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 07:49 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Overtaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond repute
Talking My First Time at the Range

I went to the local shooting range for the first time today. I shot 3 position air rifle in Marine Corps JROTC, but this was much more fun . I fired two weapons: a Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum and a Glock 27 (.40SW).

I shot .38 rounds out of the revolver at first. Next came the magnum rounds and they had quite the recoil. In fact, the weapons inspector at the range warned us to be prepared for it.

While I was shooting the Glock, someone was shooting the revolver in the lane next to me. He too started out with .38s. Then as I'm shooting, I feel a concussion and even feel it on my face. That magnum really has some power! My dad was standing behind the firing line, and he told me the shooter in the lane to the right of me jumped up in fright when I first fired a magnum round.

I had a fun time and would like to get a weapon of my own. I don't know whether to get a pistol or an AR15 (I fear the Assault Weapons Ban may be passed in the next Congress) though.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:37 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Josh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond repute
Congratulations. It doesn't take long to get hooked.

Originally Posted by Overtaker
an AR15 (I fear the Assault Weapons Ban may be passed in the next Congress) though.
All the more reason to get one now.

Old 11-29-2008, 11:59 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Since you live in a free state, I would suggest you get a piston AR-15 with dozens and dozens of 30 round mags because they are all banned for good.

LWRC, POF, Sig all make piston AR's.

I, Ara, Hoss, and a few others bought the Sig 556 within the last few weeks.

If you can get your hands on a POF or LWRC, get it.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:53 AM
Coming Soon
Hossfly has a reputation beyond reputeHossfly has a reputation beyond reputeHossfly has a reputation beyond reputeHossfly has a reputation beyond reputeHossfly has a reputation beyond reputeHossfly has a reputation beyond reputeHossfly has a reputation beyond reputeHossfly has a reputation beyond reputeHossfly has a reputation beyond reputeHossfly has a reputation beyond reputeHossfly has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats on a fun day at the range!

As others have said, get an AR or some sort of "assault" rifle now. You can always get a pistol later.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:42 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Neijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond repute
First time, that had to be a blast... keep going back when you can; try to change things up a bit; distance, targets, placement, etc... have fun Over

Old 11-30-2008, 02:23 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Overtaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond repute
What do the piston AR15s cost? I remember finding them online, and they were listed at ~$1800.

Old 11-30-2008, 02:44 AM
Teamspeed Pro
M5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Shit, I went out to the duck hunting club on Thursday morning and didn't shoot once!

I bet you had a great time; and I'm glad you discovered what will surely be a great hobby for you. As others have mentioned, if you're really into it, look at picking up a nice AR-15 variant before we get bent over by some BS legislation in the future. I'm not as drawn to rifles as pistols simply because they are more affordable and flexible in their use; but they are a lot of fun to shoot.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:56 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Overtaker
What do the piston AR15s cost? I remember finding them online, and they were listed at ~$1800.
A bare bone Sig 556 with no sights is only 1300 in free states.

A POF P308 is about 2400.

LWRC is also over 2K.

Old 11-30-2008, 02:06 PM
Teamspeed Pro
I just found that Lewis Machine & Tool has a piston AR for $2,000.

A piston driven AR is most likely out of my budget in the near future then. From what I've read, the ATF only considers the lower receiver the "rifle." You can get a lower receiver, build it into "assault rifle" specs before the ban, and then that lower receiver is considered an "assault rifle" forever.

What do you think of getting a good lower, building a gas rifle, then getting a piston upper sometime in the future?

Old 11-30-2008, 02:22 PM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
You're right, the lower is what "scares" the BATF.

Get a good lower, and you can buy uppers as they become available. LMT makes an outstanding rifle, and it will not be long before they are in the same league with the company's that have focused on piston rifles.

Now... Don't get stuck on a piston rifle. AR's with the GI mechanism have served us well for years. You would be well served to get a "regular" AR now, AND get something like a Remington 870 to compliment it. For both guns, you'll spend less than you would have on a piston rifle.

Quick Reply: My First Time at the Range