Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

Choke and Chris and other vets, technical question

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008 | 02:44 AM
|
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Choke and Chris and other vets, technical question

What's the real world CQB difference between using frangible rounds and using hollow points?

I understand that frangible breaks up in pieces when it enters the subject, and that hollow points expand for maximum energy absorption.

Since frangible breaks up in smaller pieces, and thereby scatter the energy, does that mean hollow points are better for stopping.

Or are both about the same for CQB applications?

Old 11-17-2008 | 11:45 AM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
Oh... here is a slippery slope for a discussion...

No matter what preference one holds to a particular type of ammo, the thing that matters most is shot placement, and proficiency with your weapon. Bear that in mind at all times.

Either round is going to spread damage around on a body.
There are a lot of studies that show that many hollow points fail to expand, and therefor, pass through a body, missing vital organs. As far as frangible rounds go, there are a lot of studies and real world cases where the rounds break up, but they fail to penetrate deep enough to do the massive damage that the round was intended for.

HP's will penetrate, and hopefully expand. Frangibles will not penetrate as deep, and are all the much more reliant on getting close to a vital organ, in hopes that the round dispenses. If that target blocks the round, it isn't going to go through the arm. HP's are a safer choice for a SHTF round.

Since you're not going to be kicking in any doors and doing hostage rescue, I don't know that you'd need to worry about the technical differences, and would wholly served by HP's or FMJ's.

My personal bias is that I am not willing to stake my life on a frangible round. I have HP's in anything that I consider a SHTF gun. And FMJ in anything else. And that simply comes from a comfort level in my ability to place shots. I'm not saying that because I think that I'm some kind of shooting god, but a rather simple familiarity with firearms, and shooting them.

Last edited by chokeu2; 11-17-2008 at 04:19 PM.
Old 11-17-2008 | 04:17 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
I agree w/Brian on this. The only time I use frangible is on lead-free ranges indoors. The only time I could ever imagine using them "for real" would be in a structure with only dry wall partitions and lots of good guys around. Like Brian said, shot placement is everything. Personally, I'd bypass head shots for soft tissue hits - stomach, upper thighs, neck, etc. Frangible really does break up very easily.

Old 11-17-2008 | 05:42 PM
Full of Win.
Gobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with Chris and Choke. I have zero CQB experience (have had "some" training) but have had plenty of experience shooting frangible on outdoor ranges in 5.56 caliber. At 100m and even as close as 50m we had frangible rounds barely perforating cardboard targets. Shot placement is always paramount. Even small caliber shots placed well can achieve your goal (stopping the threat.) The other guy(s) might not have armor, but could be wearing a chest rack or similar gear that frangible ammo just isn't going to deal with.

Old 11-17-2008 | 06:09 PM
|
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gobbles
I agree with Chris and Choke. I have zero CQB experience (have had "some" training) but have had plenty of experience shooting frangible on outdoor ranges in 5.56 caliber. At 100m and even as close as 50m we had frangible rounds barely perforating cardboard targets. Shot placement is always paramount. Even small caliber shots placed well can achieve your goal (stopping the threat.) The other guy(s) might not have armor, but could be wearing a chest rack or similar gear that frangible ammo just isn't going to deal with.
Yep, all drywall, 10 meter radius. High density urban setting.

When we buy a bigger place next winter, I will get some HP's.

Actually, I might as well add the order now since the price of ammo is not likely to go down.

Old 11-17-2008 | 06:14 PM
|
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
Thanks guys, this is very helpful.

I do have some HP's for my M1A Scout and M&P 9.