Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

Optics help/ ideas

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 08:39 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
SMOKEYBEAR has a reputation beyond reputeSMOKEYBEAR has a reputation beyond reputeSMOKEYBEAR has a reputation beyond reputeSMOKEYBEAR has a reputation beyond reputeSMOKEYBEAR has a reputation beyond reputeSMOKEYBEAR has a reputation beyond reputeSMOKEYBEAR has a reputation beyond reputeSMOKEYBEAR has a reputation beyond reputeSMOKEYBEAR has a reputation beyond reputeSMOKEYBEAR has a reputation beyond reputeSMOKEYBEAR has a reputation beyond repute
Optics help/ ideas

I recently purchased a Sig 556. I bought it plain with no optics. I could have gotten it with the halo sights, but wasn't sure what I wanted. I knew better than to buy one from the gun shop, I knew there would be better deals on the net. I've been all over the net looking at red dots, ecogs, eotechs and the like. Opinions? Ideas? Links?

Old 11-17-2008, 12:08 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
SMOKEYBEAR has a reputation beyond reputeSMOKEYBEAR has a reputation beyond reputeSMOKEYBEAR has a reputation beyond reputeSMOKEYBEAR has a reputation beyond reputeSMOKEYBEAR has a reputation beyond reputeSMOKEYBEAR has a reputation beyond reputeSMOKEYBEAR has a reputation beyond reputeSMOKEYBEAR has a reputation beyond reputeSMOKEYBEAR has a reputation beyond reputeSMOKEYBEAR has a reputation beyond reputeSMOKEYBEAR has a reputation beyond repute
This is where my internet research has taken me.
MATCHING FRONT AND REAR SITE
http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/...ategory_id=205
http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/...ategory_id=171

OR

FRONT SIGHT
SAMSON FLIP UP FRONT SIGHT SIG 556

EOTECH
EOTECH 511.A65/1 HOLOGRAPHIC WEAPON SIGHT

REAR
A.R.M.S. INC. 40LP .50 MOA FLIP UP REAR SIGHT[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Last edited by SMOKEYBEAR; 11-17-2008 at 12:43 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:12 PM
Coming Soon
Hossfly has a reputation beyond reputeHossfly has a reputation beyond reputeHossfly has a reputation beyond reputeHossfly has a reputation beyond reputeHossfly has a reputation beyond reputeHossfly has a reputation beyond reputeHossfly has a reputation beyond reputeHossfly has a reputation beyond reputeHossfly has a reputation beyond reputeHossfly has a reputation beyond reputeHossfly has a reputation beyond repute
Good thread, smokey. I'm also looking for suggestions for the 556 SWAT model I just purchased.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:17 PM
Teamspeed Pro
CarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond repute
Troy BUIS or YHMS...you won't be disappointed in them. Little pricier but definitely worth the cash IMO, especially the Troys.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:26 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Originally Posted by CarbonCycles
Troy BUIS or YHMS...you won't be disappointed in them. Little pricier but definitely worth the cash IMO, especially the Troys.
I have been all over the net looking. I came to these links because of the front sites. I only found these two front sites for the Sig. The rear sites in those links are ones I have found to be compatible with those two front sites. The Midwestindustries front site is "compatible with AR sites" according to their website. The link for their front site matches it to their rear site.

I kinda stopped my search there, after hours of searching. I was finally able to find what I considered to be reliable information about which rear site was compatible with the front site.

I have run across those brands you mentioned, but I ran across possibilities they were not compatible with the only two front sites I could find. People were talking about filing down the post on the Sampson front site to make it work. I don't really need to be filing anything down...especially something that fragile. I can be very heavy handed

Last edited by SMOKEYBEAR; 11-17-2008 at 12:33 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:30 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Originally Posted by Hossfly
Good thread, smokey. I'm also looking for suggestions for the 556 SWAT model I just purchased.
Did yours come with no front site, or that dinky flip up one? I had seen pictures of Sig's "stock" one and opted to purchase mine without any sites. Those links are where my search took me. Even after some time on Sig's forums I still found only found those front sites elsewhere in my search.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:30 PM
Teamspeed Pro
CarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SMOKEYBEAR
I have been all over the net looking. I came to these links because of the front sites. I only found these two front sites for the Sig. The rear sites in those links are ones I have found to be compatible with those two front sites. The Midwestindustries front site is "compatible with AR sites" according to their website. The link for their front site matches it to their rear site.

I kinda stopped my search there, after hours of searching. I was finally able to find what I considered to be reliable information about which rear site was compatible with the front site.
How do you plan to attach your BUIS (i.e, rail, gas block)? I can't remember what the front of the 556 looks like right now so you might be forced into one setup over the other.

In case you are interested Troy Main

Old 11-17-2008, 12:36 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
The front of the 556 has a dovetail milled in...thats what limits me to the two front sites. Unless I replace the whole top rail, a piece that runs $300+...If I replaced the whole top rail then I could choose from a much larger selection. That picture is a little bit off from what I have. That shows the top rail extended all the way to the front site location. The base model 556 has a different top rail that is shorter.

Attached Images  

Last edited by SMOKEYBEAR; 11-17-2008 at 12:47 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:44 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Bummer...I'm not a fan of the HK style sights - much prefer the M4 style.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:53 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
I like those Troy site's, very nice. They just won't work with the way mine is setup. I'll probally go with the Midwestern Industries one, because it's a one stop shop and they reference the front and rear to be compatible.

The few holo graphic optics I put my hands on did not have an aluminum cover like that Eotech. The aluminum cover seems to protect the optic pretty good. I'm going to try and put my hands on one before I make my final decision.

Quick Reply: Optics help/ ideas