Notices
Supercars Bugatti, Koenigsegg, Zonda, Venom GT, & More Discussion Forum.

Pagani Huayra - unattractive welding...

Old 07-23-2013, 06:31 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Conte Francesco Baracca is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Pagani Huayra - unattractive welding...

There are lots of movie clips and articles about Pagani's incredible attention to detail, even as it pertains to the most mundane parts...

We hear about the 1,400 grade 7 Ti bolts, each etched with the Pagani logo, and worth almost $100,000. We see the partial fabrication of the MGH exhaust system, and the steps undetaken to achieve the "Pagani purple" color, and etched Pagani logo. The guage dials seen in the cockpit are made by watchmakers, and the switches fashioned from aluminum billets are described as jewel like. The AMG engine itself is adorned with various anodized aluminum or carbon fiber pieces. All in all, every single detail imaginable is art and perfection...

Yet when I view even low resolution photos of the chassis and suspension, I see very ordinary welds. I have no doubt that they are structurally sound, but they are not brought to an artform at all. The MHG exhaust tubing is TIG welded, and then the bead is sanded smooth. The attachment points on the chassis for the suspension components ae matter of factly welded, and that's it.

I'm sure some of you are familiar with Moots bicycle frames, made of either 3/2.5 seamless, or if you're lucky, 6/4 titanium tubing. Take a magnifying lens, and look over the welds; they're perfect! Moots' welds are legendary, and when a Moots is brought into a bicycle shop here in Italy at least, customers and the store owner gather around the bicycle and are mesmerized by the quality of the welding.

After the standard manual TIG welds, Moots makes a "second pass" weld which engineers say make the welded joint even stronger. It also adds an unbelievably beautiful artform to the bike. Any top welder appreciates the quality of a Moots welds, and only the best welders can achieve these NASA quality fish scale beads.

I'm surprised that this particular area of quality control is left as it is by Pagani. Even if the various welders had to spend two or three times or more to attain perfect welds, the added costs would certainly be minimal. MHG welders could take specialty courses to raise the bar on their skill sets.

Blow up the photos of the Huayra below, and you'll certasinly see what I'm referring to. Seek out a Moots, or look at the attached photos, and you'll see welding art at its' very finest. I sent a detailed to Mr. Pagani, and I'm hoping he'll respond to some of my suggestions on welding, and other aspects of his cars.

What do you think; would "art welds" be more appreciated?

Attached Images      

Last edited by Conte Francesco Baracca; 07-23-2013 at 06:41 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:22 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Terraforce1 has a spectacular aura aboutTerraforce1 has a spectacular aura aboutTerraforce1 has a spectacular aura aboutTerraforce1 has a spectacular aura aboutTerraforce1 has a spectacular aura aboutTerraforce1 has a spectacular aura aboutTerraforce1 has a spectacular aura aboutTerraforce1 has a spectacular aura aboutTerraforce1 has a spectacular aura aboutTerraforce1 has a spectacular aura aboutTerraforce1 has a spectacular aura about
What?! How dare they weld like that! I'm gonna cancel my order on my Huayra this instant

Old 07-23-2013, 10:47 AM
Teamspeed Pro
TTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond repute
^haha!

To the point though I am surprised that the welds are not in better condition from the go.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:19 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
zeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nice
i'm sure if you look at the welds on other cars of its class it's probably miles ahead

Old 07-23-2013, 11:20 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Originally Posted by Terraforce1
What?! How dare they weld like that! I'm gonna cancel my order on my Huayra this instant

Originally Posted by TTM0TION
^haha!

To the point though I am surprised that the welds are not in better condition from the go.

I was very surprised when I first saw the welds myself. It would be a very simple matter to remedy. I hope Mr. Pagani replies to my e-mail, and it would be great if he starts seeing top shelf welding as the refined artform it is.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:35 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Originally Posted by zeeshan66
i'm sure if you look at the welds on other cars of its class it's probably miles ahead
The exhaust system is done well, but it can be made to look MUCH better with a "second pass" weld, performed by a welder who is as skilled as a Moots welder. The chassis and suspension welds are standard quality that I see on many brands of cars.

I remember that I once ordered a titanium bicycle rack made by a German company named TUBI. The welds were so ugly, that I sent it back. I had a titanium bike frame artisan make me one with perfect welds to match the perfect welds of the bicycle frame.

No excuse for sloppy welding in a Pagani or any premium exotic!

Old 07-23-2013, 12:20 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Sorry, the bike rack was made by TUBUS. Take a look at these standard welds. Horrible for a $225 bicycle rack!

Attached Images  
Old 07-23-2013, 12:53 PM
Teamspeed Pro
joshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond repute
The great weld supremisit

Old 07-23-2013, 01:56 PM
Official Teamspeed Duck's Fan
BuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond repute
Could you create a list of manufactures who have quality welds? This thread made me look at some of the products in my home and all the welds are poor. I think I need to toss it all away and start over. I need a list of TV stands, Lamps, chairs...

Old 07-23-2013, 02:20 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Originally Posted by joshg120
The great weld supremisit
Being that Oracio Pagani is obsessed with perfection in the smallest of details, I’m sure there are some Huayra aficionados hoping that he’ll become the great weld supremisit [sic]!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pagani Huayra - unattractive welding...