Notices
Supercars Bugatti, Koenigsegg, Zonda, Venom GT, & More Discussion Forum.

Spoiler Alert : McLaren P1 Top Gear Lap Time

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 11:38 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
bmw power is just really nicebmw power is just really nicebmw power is just really nicebmw power is just really nicebmw power is just really nicebmw power is just really nicebmw power is just really nicebmw power is just really nicebmw power is just really nicebmw power is just really nicebmw power is just really nice
Haha, I think Ron Dennis pulled that lap time straight out of his rosy butt cheeks.

I could believe that the P1 is faster than the Huayra, but not by 10 seconds.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:24 AM
Teamspeed Member
Mark ANTAR is on a distinguished roadMark ANTAR is on a distinguished roadMark ANTAR is on a distinguished roadMark ANTAR is on a distinguished roadMark ANTAR is on a distinguished road
Guys! Ron said that he beat the 'Star in a reasonably priced car' lap record by 10 seconds, not the Huayra's time!! :beer:

Old 03-11-2013, 04:00 AM
ABK
Teamspeed Junior Member
ABK has a spectacular aura aboutABK has a spectacular aura aboutABK has a spectacular aura aboutABK has a spectacular aura aboutABK has a spectacular aura aboutABK has a spectacular aura aboutABK has a spectacular aura aboutABK has a spectacular aura aboutABK has a spectacular aura aboutABK has a spectacular aura aboutABK has a spectacular aura about
Nothing is impossible

Old 03-11-2013, 06:03 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
streetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Will_CA
oops.

What I was saying was that speed isn't possible on today's normal street tires. Unless they did that on soft racing slicks I don't believe it.
Yeah but the tyres on the P1 are not normal street tyres are they. If you read the McLaren press release you will find that the tyres are closer to a race tyre than they are a street tyre in their construction and make up

Old 03-11-2013, 06:27 AM
TS Official Automotive Enthusiast
D55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond repute
Like member ABK just said, nothing is impossible, but I'll wait before more evidence of its being reality.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:04 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
streetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud of
Also lets not forget that the P1 was developed on the Top Gear track which is very local to the factory

Old 03-11-2013, 10:41 PM
Teamspeed Member
Will_CA is on a distinguished roadWill_CA is on a distinguished road
Yes, but remember the tires need to be street legal, and I don't think it would be smart of Mclaren to put on super soft tries that wear out in less than a hundred miles as stock just to post quick lap times. Realistically, I think the P1 will run between 1:10 and 1:12, but I doubt it will break 1:10.
Just as a side note: he said 10 seconds better than the Huayra's lap, but remember, no one knows how fast the Huayra actually runs on stock tires, because it did its lap on racing slicks.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:22 PM
Teamspeed Pro
bdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond repute
I think this thread is very misleading, and probably misunderstood.

Watch this video and honestly tell me that he's not referring to beating Lewis' Top Gear record lap time in a reasonably priced car in his "reasonably priced car" that's on display in Geneva. (Fast forward to 8:18 please)

This has already been mentioned in a previous post in this thread, but I'm just providing the youtube video (found in another TS thread btw) to help everyone understand the misconception of this thread title.

Last edited by bdeitemeyer; 03-11-2013 at 11:24 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:31 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
D.Liu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!D.Liu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!D.Liu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!D.Liu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!D.Liu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!D.Liu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!D.Liu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!D.Liu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!D.Liu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!D.Liu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!D.Liu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
At the time I posted the thread, the top gear article had read

"And he went on to reveal that he himself had beaten the fastest Top Gear power lap (a 1.13.8 by the Pagani Huayra) around Dunsfold in the P1 by a walloping 10 seconds (see below), which surely puts it on a par with the speed of light. Finally, he claimed that nobody else would be able to get near the P1's performance."

Now, when I click on the article again, there is no mention of a power lap. Ninja edit by the top gear site.

My apologies.

edit:

Here is a version of the article which hasn't been fixed.
BBC - Autos - McLaren boss Ron Dennis on the P1

Last edited by D.Liu; 03-12-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:00 PM
McLaren Fanatic
Peloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond repute
Never trust a journalist to get anything right. It's always a safe bet.

>8^)
ER

Quick Reply: Spoiler Alert : McLaren P1 Top Gear Lap Time