Notices
McLaren McLaren MP4-12C, F1, & More Discussion Forum.

Report: McLaren MP4-12C Smashes Top Gear Lap Record

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 12:11 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Kevin358 has a spectacular aura aboutKevin358 has a spectacular aura aboutKevin358 has a spectacular aura aboutKevin358 has a spectacular aura aboutKevin358 has a spectacular aura aboutKevin358 has a spectacular aura aboutKevin358 has a spectacular aura aboutKevin358 has a spectacular aura aboutKevin358 has a spectacular aura aboutKevin358 has a spectacular aura aboutKevin358 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by FerrariWF
The 12C WASN'T designed to be a successor to the F1. McLaren is building a separate car to be the F1 successor. And the 12C will be anything but disappointing, I'm saving up to get one.
He is referring to "Mega Mac". Not MP4-12C.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:19 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Kevin358 has a spectacular aura aboutKevin358 has a spectacular aura aboutKevin358 has a spectacular aura aboutKevin358 has a spectacular aura aboutKevin358 has a spectacular aura aboutKevin358 has a spectacular aura aboutKevin358 has a spectacular aura aboutKevin358 has a spectacular aura aboutKevin358 has a spectacular aura aboutKevin358 has a spectacular aura aboutKevin358 has a spectacular aura about
I doubt this time. 5 secons faster than a 458 is rediculous. I don't doubt faster, but not by that much. Think of what that is faster than; Gumpert Apollo S, Ascari A10 and Arieal Atom V8. The Apollo is a high downforce track car. It may not have the "new tech" of the Mac but it has more downforce, more power, and less weight and track tuned suspension.

I also doubt the 7 min Ring time. Nearly as fast as a track only 599XX? That car has high downforce(much more than the Mac), is tuned for the track 100%, has much more power, has technology that the Mac doesn't(vacuum pumps). The 911 GT2 RS is more track tuned, but the Mac has some interesting tech. I would throw it in around there.

Old 05-20-2011, 04:02 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Ludas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Kevin358
I doubt this time. 5 secons faster than a 458 is rediculous. I don't doubt faster, but not by that much. Think of what that is faster than; Gumpert Apollo S, Ascari A10 and Arieal Atom V8. The Apollo is a high downforce track car. It may not have the "new tech" of the Mac but it has more downforce, more power, and less weight and track tuned suspension.

I also doubt the 7 min Ring time. Nearly as fast as a track only 599XX? That car has high downforce(much more than the Mac), is tuned for the track 100%, has much more power, has technology that the Mac doesn't(vacuum pumps). The 911 GT2 RS is more track tuned, but the Mac has some interesting tech. I would throw it in around there.

I've tried to tell them but they won't listen
But seriously, ever since I read Chris Harris article on how Ferrari "cheats" by tuning the car to the specific track and so on, I never believe any times coming from the manufacturers themselves. There is no way to determine whether the car was stock or not. You shouldn't believe everything you read.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:22 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Zeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond repute
Nissan & the GTR...

Could it be that McLaren is being conservative with its power numbers? Lets hope so. This would not be a negative. Remember what happened at the end of the last HP/Musclecar war? And we now live in a world that is vastly more draconian in every respect than the early '70's.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:42 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Greg63T is an unknown quantity at this point
5 seconds faster than a 458?? I'll wait for the proof on that one, no doubt the McLaren is an amazing car but that's beating the F car by a year.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:22 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Turboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond repute
what tires are on the Mclaren? Because I think they are an important factor here. If I'm right, a normal street tire can only develope a certain lateral acceleration, no matter if the car could do better. Is that thought right? Same with the semi slick, just a little more Gs possible.
so a Apollo on semislicks should be pretty much the limit for semi slicks in terms of lateral acceleration because of the low center of gravity, huge downforce, etc.
Maybe the Mclaren monocoque is so good/stiff that its the substitute for the missing spoilers, diffusor, etc. But I doubt that. Because otherwise every race car maker does sth wrong.
Therefore, the Mclaren can only be faster on the brake or in straight line acceleration/speed.
Apollo has got 650 HP, weight is < 1,2t. Mclarne 600 HP and 1,3t?
I just can't imagine how on earth the Mp4-12c should brake or accelerate any better than the apollo. airbrake? no...
I don't know, maybe a real expert can engross my thought. Too tired to think about it anymore.
Sorry for spelling mistakes.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:24 PM
John Hennessey has a brilliant futureJohn Hennessey has a brilliant futureJohn Hennessey has a brilliant futureJohn Hennessey has a brilliant futureJohn Hennessey has a brilliant futureJohn Hennessey has a brilliant futureJohn Hennessey has a brilliant futureJohn Hennessey has a brilliant futureJohn Hennessey has a brilliant futureJohn Hennessey has a brilliant futureJohn Hennessey has a brilliant future
McLaren Automotive is located 16 miles from the TG test track (Dunsfold). I would guess that they have more test time on that track than Top Gear does. Thus, I would not be a bit surprised to see the MP4-12C set the lap record. Obviously, what they are able to achieve with their test driver under optimal conditions may vary to what Stig may run on a less than perfect day. Either way, you can bet that the boys from Woking are intent on putting their car at the top of the Power Lap board at some point sooner than later. And I would say that they have the car, people and unique location to help them attain their goal.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:25 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Ludas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond repute
Old 10-22-2011, 03:20 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Soooo Peleton, this is the day you've been dreading. https://teamspeed.com/forums/superca...ml#post1128899

Remember these quotes?

Originally Posted by Peloton25
Quoting for evidence.

I don't want to witness the act, but maybe you could scan your hospital bill afterwards or something.

The McLaren has an AIRBRAKE that deploys at speed and you think it won't be as fast as the 911 GT2RS around the 'Ring? Think about that - in addition to slowing the car down significantly it also plants the rear of the car allowing the rear brakes to be more effective under braking. That's just one advantage the 12C has over the Porsche.

Take the transmission - the 12C uses a 7-speed sequential with pre-cog for near instantaneous shifts. The GT2 RS just has a tradition 6-speed manual. Add a few more seconds of advantage for the 12C of the course of a lap of the 'Ring.

It all adds up - or does it subtract?

Anyway, the 12C is sure to be quicker.

>8^)
ER
I don't agree with 7 mins flat, but I think it will eclipse the GTR RS official time of 7:18.

>8^)
ER
I never said that it was. I was just pointing to one piece of technology that will help the 12C go faster, that the Porsche lacks. There are many other examples. The GT2 RS may be quick but it's almost all old tech when compared to what McLaren have cooked up here. exRockstar covered several other examples.

Speaking of cooking things up, that nut might taste better with a little time in the oven.

>8^)
ER

Time to face the hard truth fan boy and admit you were wrong all along. Damn what a bummer for you...

Old 10-22-2011, 03:47 AM
jox
TEAMSPEED.COM
jox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond repute

Quick Reply: Report: McLaren MP4-12C Smashes Top Gear Lap Record