Notices
Supercars Bugatti, Koenigsegg, Zonda, Venom GT, & More Discussion Forum.

Ron Dennis Says Bugatti Veyron is "A Piece of Junk"

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 10:44 PM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Barrister
I think that Ron is giving his honest opinion.

There is more to a supercar than straight line speed.
I agree. He's calling them out. How many guys are tracking them? How many guys are bragging about their cornering prowess? Not much different then most Lambo's. While I doubt I will ever drive a Veyron I can tell you turning a Lambo is not much different than my gmc 2500 crew cab diesel.

It sure takes large balls to make this bold of a statement.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:44 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Totally sounds legit. (sarcasim)

Old 04-12-2010, 11:28 PM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
Calling it a "piece of junk" is something of a stretch. It's an engineering accomplishment that is currently unequaled. There are faster cars, and most of them are much cheaper, and arguably even better looking. However, the thing the Veyron does that nothing else can do is go very, very fast while requiring absolutely no driver skill of any kind, in all kinds of weather, on pump fuel.

That is a big deal, even if it's pretty damn far from any kind of sports car.

While the Veyron doesn't stir my soul, I do respect it for the engineering achievement it is, and frankly, anyone who doesn't is ignorant of how amazingly difficult it is to build such a thing.

I'd rather drive an F1 or a CGT any day of the week and twice on sunday, but that doesn't make the Veyron a piece of junk. It's a car for people who would like to have the status of driving the "fastest car in the world" while they putter along at 75, and maybe give it a squirt on the highway every now and again.

Someone like myself would rather drive a 120 horsepower Lotus Elan, with the valves 200 rpm from blowing through the hood, the header glowing red hot, the tires melting and the brakes on fire.

Last edited by Simba; 04-12-2010 at 11:32 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:02 AM
TS Official Automotive Enthusiast
D55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond repute
I lost the final leftover of respect to Dennis after those words. He liked to open his mouth too wide even when he worked in cooperation with MB. I understand that he is trying to advertise his own company in such stupid way, but it is rather shitty way. For example, have you ever heard something like that from Horacio Pagani about competitors or from any other respected person in the supercar business? For example after such shitty speach I have lost interest to the McLaren only because of their boss. He comapes Veyron with F1 which is not a car he developed, interesting to see what he will be able to develop and how this will drive.

Gordon Murray was not a fan of Veyron either and he expressed his opinion honestly, but his interview was so interesting to read because it was based on facts and on this great man's different approach to supercars.

The Veyron is a great achievment, as well as McLaren F1 was few decades back. Those cars are very hard to compare, each of them is unique and amzing in its own way. Those who say that Veyron is straight line performer seems to know very little about this car, and many Veyron owners having a good laugh when read about all this Veyron can not handle corners, it is for straight like only b-shit, because it is a b-shit. It is not faster than Zonda F Clubsport on the track, especially on track better specced for a light car with RWD, but it handles corners superb and on out-of-physics limit, just re-read every single test review.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:07 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by D55L
Gordon Murray was not a fan of Veyron either and he expressed his opinion honestly, but his interview was so interesting to read because it was based on facts and on this great man's different approach to supercars.
Murray hates turbo chargers and the Veyron has 4!

Old 04-13-2010, 02:13 AM
Teamspeed Pro
B4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond repute
Off with his head.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:16 AM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by D55L
Those who say that Veyron is straight line performer seems to know very little about this car
I've driven one. It handles like a river barge due to its massive weight and fairly craptastic AWD setup. With the traction control on, it understeers horribly. With it off, understeers horribly while managing to be extremely skittish coming out of corners. The car does NOT handle well, by any non-fanboy yardstick. On that note, Dennis was completely correct.

The car was never designed to be a sports car, nor ever take a corner in anger. It was designed to go very fast on the road with very little input from its driver. That, it does very well.

On any kind of track not featuring a ~2 mile straight, just about any honest sports car would leave it for dead.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:33 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute
Dude. Don't bring Top Gear into "serious" discussions. We all know their track times mean nothing, unfortunately.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:35 AM
D55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond repute
You are the first who said such things, I know at least two Veyron owners who are using car properly, they both said that Veyron's handling and electronic stability control is amazing, its ability to hold the road on incredible speed also is amazing, it handles very good for its weight, that is the most of electronics, but still. Also I am hearing about understeer for the first time from you, I have not heard anything like that nor from owner, neither from credible press. Strange. Very strange.

Also I was driven in a Veyron twice and the feeling were far above anything made for the road use.

Originally Posted by Simba
On any kind of track not featuring a ~2 mile straight, just about any honest sports car would leave it for dead.
Could not disagree more.

BBC - Top Gear - Power Laps

Yes, it is not as fast as Zonda F Clubsport or other ultra-lights, but it is still far above all well-known modern supercars.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by Zorro
Dude. Don't bring Top Gear into "serious" discussions. We all know their track times mean nothing, unfortunately.
That is the only track where there are result for various supercars. I do not include Nürburgring here, it is too specific and is truly bad playground for Veyron and there was only one rather creepy run by one magazine, which is not very credible result to judge. If you know of other track results we can compare bring them on here.

Quick Reply: Ron Dennis Says Bugatti Veyron is "A Piece of Junk"