Notices
Supercars Bugatti, Koenigsegg, Zonda, Venom GT, & More Discussion Forum.

Interview with Horacio Pagani - Pagani C9 launch confirmed for this fall

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010 | 08:50 AM
|
TS Official Automotive Enthusiast
D55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond repute
The cost of producing Zonda was rather low, so the profit margin was very healthy there. I do not know what about C9, there are a lot of money spent into developement.

And I have to agree with member Ludas, the engine choice still worries me. Also competitors are moving forward with new models. From what we know - Lamborghini Jota and Ferrari FX70 will be amazing in performance, looks and technology.

Old 01-17-2010 | 05:37 PM
Teamspeed Member
alan w You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!alan w You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!alan w You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!alan w You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!alan w You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!alan w You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!alan w You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!alan w You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!alan w You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!alan w You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!alan w You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
I may be wrong but isnt this engine an all new one built especially for the C9, and not the one found in the zonda R, so hence it may not be anything to worry about.

Old 01-18-2010 | 03:27 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Rage has a spectacular aura aboutRage has a spectacular aura aboutRage has a spectacular aura aboutRage has a spectacular aura aboutRage has a spectacular aura aboutRage has a spectacular aura aboutRage has a spectacular aura aboutRage has a spectacular aura aboutRage has a spectacular aura aboutRage has a spectacular aura aboutRage has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by alan w
I may be wrong but isnt this engine an all new one built especially for the C9, and not the one found in the zonda R, so hence it may not be anything to worry about.
The problem is really NOT th engine in the Zonda R. As far as we know now, Pagani will use the Twin-Turbo V12 found in countless Mercedes (S/CL/SL 600/65 AMG, SL Black) and the Maybach for the C9. Problem is that this engine is quite old already and its characteristics, that is turning out insane amounts of torque at fairly low revs and not being high-revving in general, seems not to be ideal for a lightweight supercar.

But let's wait with definite judgement until Pagani brings out the actual car. Maybe they will prove us wrong, which I hope they'll do.

Old 01-18-2010 | 09:06 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Ludas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Rage
The problem is really NOT th engine in the Zonda R. As far as we know now, Pagani will use the Twin-Turbo V12 found in countless Mercedes (S/CL/SL 600/65 AMG, SL Black) and the Maybach for the C9. Problem is that this engine is quite old already and its characteristics, that is turning out insane amounts of torque at fairly low revs and not being high-revving in general, seems not to be ideal for a lightweight supercar.

But let's wait with definite judgement until Pagani brings out the actual car. Maybe they will prove us wrong, which I hope they'll do.
Couldn't agree more Rage. Welcome to the team!

Old 01-18-2010 | 12:52 PM
|
D55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond repute
I am thinking about this engine all the time - definitely not a perfect one for lightweight supercar. Great engines for such supercars are very high-revving V12 as we will see on Murcielago replacement and Ferrari 599 GTO and small, light and also very high-revving innovative twin-turbo V8 engines with no turbo lag. I wonder what kind of transmission will be used to handle this amount of torque, rumors are about ZF sequental gearbox, but it is not for sure. I guess all we can do now is to wait the premiere and then first test reviews by credible magazines.

Old 01-18-2010 | 01:58 PM
Teamspeed Member
alan w You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!alan w You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!alan w You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!alan w You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!alan w You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!alan w You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!alan w You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!alan w You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!alan w You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!alan w You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!alan w You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
But i think you are all missing my point Horacio says its an all new engine, yet everyone is talking about an existing engine and stating its out of date and low reving , isnt Mr Pagani talking of an ALL NEW engine????

Quote 'Engine is built specially for Pagani C9 by AMG'

Last edited by alan w; 01-18-2010 at 02:02 PM.
Old 01-18-2010 | 02:32 PM
|
Engine for Zonda was also made specially for Pagani, but it was rather old engine, tuned and reworked to meet needs of Pagani.

From what is rumored now AMG M275 V12 bi-turbo engine from SL65 Black Series, this engine of course will be reworked and built in this version only for Pagani, that is why it is called special for Pagani.

Old 01-18-2010 | 05:51 PM
Teamspeed Member
oh ok thats makes more sense now, even if this is the case im sure it wont fail to impress!

Old 01-19-2010 | 03:52 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Rage has a spectacular aura aboutRage has a spectacular aura aboutRage has a spectacular aura aboutRage has a spectacular aura aboutRage has a spectacular aura aboutRage has a spectacular aura aboutRage has a spectacular aura aboutRage has a spectacular aura aboutRage has a spectacular aura aboutRage has a spectacular aura aboutRage has a spectacular aura about
The question is, how far will they go with modifying it? The M275 was first introduced as the M137 in 1999, without turbocharging, and then in 2002 gained twin turbos. All M275s, including the one in the SL Black, make peak hp at around 5000 rpm with peak torque at or below 2000 rpm. I'm sure that with extensive reworking, that means new intakes, lighting the internals a lot with use of titanium and different turbochargers as well as exhaust and electronics, it will be possible to push both of that figures up the rev scale. With modern sound design, they could even make it sound like the old 7.3. But what they won't get rid of is the turbo characteristics. This engine is, as stated above, quite old and therefore doesn't have the latest developments in avoiding turbo lag and quickening response. With a torque converter on it, that really doesn't matter, but the C9 won't have an automatic. On a sequential gearbox, the response sure as hell won't be like in the Zonda.

Then again, the F40 had lots of turbo lag and slow response (by non-turbo standards), but no one considered that wrong.

Old 01-19-2010 | 09:07 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Ludas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Rage
Then again, the F40 had lots of turbo lag and slow response (by non-turbo standards), but no one considered that wrong.
At least noone in the 80's. I'm pretty sure people wouldn't approve entirely if a similar engine came out today. People nowadays see it more as a nostalgic thing, which is why the F40 is still such an icon. However I think most people agree that its driving characteristics don't meet the demand of a modern supercar buyers.
My point is that if the Zonda C9 has this rather old engine with turbo lag, I can't see it competing with cars like the 599GTO or Jota, which will have a naturally aspired engine. Even the new high-revving V8 bi-turbos, like D55L stated (i.e. McLaren), will most likely have superior fuel efficiency and driving characteristics.
I really wonder why Mr Pagani settled with this engine. It's a huge mistake imo...

Quick Reply: Interview with Horacio Pagani - Pagani C9 launch confirmed for this fall