Notices
Supercars Bugatti, Koenigsegg, Zonda, Venom GT, & More Discussion Forum.

Supercar caravan fron NYC to Monterey, CA

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 07:13 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Supercar caravan fron NYC to Monterey, CA

Dan Watkins (owner of McLaren F1 #068 and the first production Bertone Mantide, just to name a few of his toys) is driving with some friends from NYC to Monterey this week. I found his blog that is being updated daily with pics and stories from their trip as they go along. The caravan includes his McLaren F1 #068, his Bertone Mantide, his bianco fuji Ferrari Scuderia 16M, and his grigio silverstone Ferrari 612 Scaglietti.

Follow his travels HERE.

Sorry Chris, I'm not trying to overshadow your awesome trip to Monterey but this is just too cool not to share!

Old 08-08-2009, 07:36 PM
Teamspeed Pro
quickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond repute
Ok, so FAWK I have a story to fit this blog.

So my mom calls me Thursday night and says channel 5 news had a 2 million dollar car on that was at the Ritz and I should check it out. So I went to the website (not excited, figured it was some old car ect that wouldn't interest me too much) So i see the pics on the news site and was like HOOOOOLLLLYYYYY FFFFUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKKK the Mantide, I knew this was probably a once in a lifetime type spot ect. So I grabbed my cousin and we drove to the Ritz all jazzed up

WHEN WE GO THERE THEY HAD ALREADY LEFT!!!!!!! ahhhhhhhh

So that kinda sucked, I was stoked to see it, and now I find out the McLaren was was here too?! damn it. Very Very cool they are driving the cars not shipping them, how cool!

Old 08-08-2009, 07:56 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Dave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond repute
Now that's a proper road trip.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:56 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by quickZohsix
Ok, so FAWK I have a story to fit this blog.

So my mom calls me Thursday night and says channel 5 news had a 2 million dollar car on that was at the Ritz and I should check it out. So I went to the website (not excited, figured it was some old car ect that wouldn't interest me too much) So i see the pics on the news site and was like HOOOOOLLLLYYYYY FFFFUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKKK the Mantide, I knew this was probably a once in a lifetime type spot ect. So I grabbed my cousin and we drove to the Ritz all jazzed up

WHEN WE GO THERE THEY HAD ALREADY LEFT!!!!!!! ahhhhhhhh

So that kinda sucked, I was stoked to see it, and now I find out the McLaren was was here too?! damn it. Very Very cool they are driving the cars not shipping them, how cool!
From what I read in the blog, you most likely would've missed the McLaren no matter what. I guess that got loaded up in the support truck as soon as it started to rain because it was nearly impossible to drive safely in the wet and wasn't worth the risk. That's still really cool that you have a bit of 2nd hand experience with this story!

+rep for ya.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:02 PM
Its only three o'clock....wtf
JonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond repute
That's the coolest thing I've heard since I heard about the guy who uses his CGT as a dd.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:12 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Winchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond repute
Yep; i apparently missed them as well when they were around Front Royal, VA and Skyline Drive.

Amazing machines!!

Old 08-08-2009, 10:27 PM
McLaren Fanatic
Peloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alzilla
From what I read in the blog, you most likely would've missed the McLaren no matter what. I guess that got loaded up in the support truck as soon as it started to rain because it was nearly impossible to drive safely in the wet and wasn't worth the risk. That's still really cool that you have a bit of 2nd hand experience with this story!
Keep in mind too, that because the McLaren was imported under the DOT's "Show or Display" exemption, it is limited to just 2,500 miles per year. Driving the car straight from Boston to Monterey would have exceeded that by a lot. I know that Dan had already put a few hundred miles on the car when it first arrived, so he probably has to ration its time on the road carefully.

>8^)
ER

Old 08-08-2009, 10:57 PM
Its only three o'clock....wtf
JonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond repute
^^ I didn't know "Show and Display" cars were limited to mileage.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:40 PM
McLaren Fanatic
Peloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah - there are a few downsides to the program, that being one of them. The other major one being there is no exemption from EPA standards, so the car you import must conform to the standards that were set for its year of manufacture. Conversions to satisfy the EPA are time consuming and expensive.

Initially the plan was to limit the vehicles that were approved to just 500 miles per year, but that was able to be changed prior to implementation of the law.

I can't get the webpage to load at the moment, but the rules and regs for "Show or Display" are here on the NHTSA website. The cached version shows this as one of the required attachments to an application for the exemption:

c. Proof of insurance conditioned on limited on-road use (not more than 2,500 miles accumulated in any 12-month period).
This old AutoWeek article provides similar information:

Autoweek Show and Go

>8^)
ER

Old 08-09-2009, 12:10 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Thanks for the clarification, Erik. That explains things a little better now. I'm assuming the Mantide meets EPA emissions standards because the ZR1 does?

Quick Reply: Supercar caravan fron NYC to Monterey, CA