Notices
Sports NBA, NHL, NCAA, NFL, MLB, PGA & More at The Teamspeed Sports Forum.

UNLV, NBA Basketball Great - And My Friend - Armen Gilliam, Dead At 47

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 06:52 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
UNLV, NBA Basketball Great - And My Friend - Armen Gilliam, Dead At 47

For most, this will get filed away into the archives or irrelevance. But for me, it has tremendous significance.

I knew Armen Gilliam. When I was in my late teens - and while he was with the Rebels - we became good friends. We met at the Las Vegas Sporting House when he was a sophomore. We would play some basketball, eat lunch and watch television in the lounge together. Sometimes, I would help Armen with his classwork. Armen was always extremely kind to me and even let me beat him once in a while on the court. Armen would pass the ball to me during pickup games when others wouldn't. It gave me a chance to prove that I could play. This meant the world to me. As an insecure teenager, this boosted my confidence and helped me achieve goals that once seemed unreachable. Also, when folks saw that Armen respected me, they respected me too. This opened the door to some of the most rich and lasting relationships in my life.

As Armen became more and more famous - eventually winning Big West Player Of The Year honors after UNLV's Final Four run in 1987 - he stayed the same gentle giant that he always was. He still came to the Sporting House several times a week and played in pickup games with us. He never changed. I remember once - after he graduated and was drafted second overall by the Phoenix Suns - he came into the Sporting House and played pickup games with us in his Suns uniform! It made us all feel special. He still passed the ball to me.

At the end of his stay at UNLV Armen gave me one of his game-used jerseys. To this day it is one of my most most prized possessions. I used to try to wear it back in the day, but it hung down past my knees! I didn't care. I wore it head held high and unashamed. I was so proud to have a friend like Armen. He treated me like a million dollars. I will never forget it.

As with many UNLV alum, The NBA never really panned out for Armen. He just didn't fit in. UNLV coach Jerry Tarkanian just had a way with young players that did not transfer to the NBA. He had some very unfortunate run-ins with teammates - the most famous of which ended in Armen breaking a teammate's arm - and just seemed to breakdown mentally and physically from day one. I watched this with tremendous pain. When Armen would come into town, he would call a few of us and we would meet up, but he was never the same. Something just changed in him. It has always been a mystery to me. I guess I should have tried to be there for him more. But he was our hero - not the other way around.

To learn of his death today - from the Internet - is a huge blow to me. I have not spoken to Armen in 20 years. Yet it still hits very close to home. I know that Armen struggled with various demons at the end of his life. Like his death, I learned of these struggles through the media and have no first-hand knowledge of it. Over the years, I have felt badly that I did not stay closer to Armen. He needed support. I feel like I let him down.

I suppose that this is a lesson to us all - sometimes those who appear to be the strongest among us, can end up needing the most care and support. I will never forget Armen's smile, his humor and his incredible athletic ability. But most of all, I will remember the times he passed me the ball.

Rest in peace Hammer.

Last edited by Barrister; 07-06-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:55 PM
Ara
Teamspeed Pro
Ara has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry to hear Dana. RIP.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:04 PM
Banned
gmaccormack is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry for your loss Dana. He sounds like a great man. Rest in peace

Old 07-06-2011, 07:11 PM
Teamspeed Pro
PorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond repute
Very sorry Dana. RIP

Old 07-06-2011, 08:18 PM
Seriously. Change it.
BigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond repute
He was a well remembered part of the golden age of college basketball. Sorry for your loss Dana. Your beautifully written post serves as a reminder to all of us to not lose touch with those from our lives that are important to us. RIP

Old 07-06-2011, 08:22 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry to hear Dana. RIP.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:32 PM
GLN
Thor Liked My Watch
GLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry to hear Dana. He sounds like he had true class and a kind heart.

I am sure you did not let him down. Keep your head up.

RIP

Old 07-07-2011, 12:12 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the kind words.

One good thing came from this: I reconnected with several old friends from the same circle. Many are doing well. Others not so much. I am happy to help them out if I can.

It should not take a death like this to remind us to serve one another. But if that comes from this, then it is a good thing.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:12 AM
Its only three o'clock....wtf
JonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond repute
Lost a few buddys of mine and it's an eye opener that anything can happen at anytime. Sorry again for your loss brother. RIP.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:42 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Axman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Barrister
Thanks for the kind words.

One good thing came from this: I reconnected with several old friends from the same circle. Many are doing well. Others not so much. I am happy to help them out if I can.

It should not take a death like this to remind us to serve one another. But if that comes from this, then it is a good thing.
This is a reminder for all of us! Sorry to hear!

Quick Reply: UNLV, NBA Basketball Great - And My Friend - Armen Gilliam, Dead At 47