Notices
Sports NBA, NHL, NCAA, NFL, MLB, PGA & More at The Teamspeed Sports Forum.

The Major League Baseball Thread 2011

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 12:57 AM
Its only three o'clock....wtf
JonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by VegasFloyd
This year the Red Sox will be champions.
Fixed

Old 08-24-2011, 01:38 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Angels with another walk off win and another bite into the Rangers lead.

I may have to buy my playoff tickets after all.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:52 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Old 08-24-2011, 05:31 PM
JonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Barrister
Angels with another walk off win and another bite into the Rangers lead.

I may have to buy my playoff tickets after all.
You're welcome.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:14 PM
Sox spank the Rangers again.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:21 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Thanks to the Red Sox the Angels are now only 2.5 games back!!

Old 08-25-2011, 01:35 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Old 08-25-2011, 01:11 PM
Teamspeed Pro
parealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond repute
347 people show up for a marlins game...

Hurricane Irene, or poor baseball? Fan counts people in stands at Florida Marlins game, gets 347

If a baseball game happens in South Florida, and no one is there to see it, does it still count in the standings?

Marlins fan Justin Cohen noticed a few empty seats at Sun Life Stadium -not exactly a rarity - on a sunny Wednesday afternoon for Game 1 of a doubleheader with the Cincinnati Reds.

He decided he would count the number of fans in attendance.

By hand.

He then posted his unofficial findings on Twitter (@790Justin): 347 die-hards in the building.

Just in case you were wondering, Sun Life holds 38,560 fans for baseball.

For football (it is also the home of the Miami Dolphins) or soccer the capacity is bulked up to 75,540.

That's a whole lot of empty orange seats, as you can see in the photos.

Cohen's tweet also stated that this may not have been the smallest crowd in the history of the Fish.

He wrote: "Unofficial count of 347 at sunlife for first pitch... myself included! Counted by hand. Still not the smallest crowd I've seen here"

"The Marlins are my team. I didn't mean it negatively, just observing," Cohen, a 24-year-old who attended Quinnipiac University in Connecticut, told the Daily News. "I've been to Fenway Park, Yankee Stadium. I was at Shea that first year the Marlins knocked the Mets out of the playoffs (2007). Those places, obviously have large attendance figures. But I like it (at Marlins games). It is literally our team, those of us that show up."

Hey! There's a person! No! Two people at the Marlins-Reds game! (Hans Deryk/AP)

While some blame the storm looming on the horizon - Hurricane Irene is preparing to slam the East Coast very shortly - or, as Cohen notes, school is back in session in Florida, it would be foolish to ignore the Marlins' awful 58-72 record.

Florida has the third-worst mark in the National League and is last in the NL East, even behind the struggling Mets.

After the second game of the double-dip, the official attendance number was 22,505, but don't try convincing one of the few actually at the game in person.

Cohen later tweeted the attendance was "only for game 1. Remember it was a rescheduled game on a workday with a hurricane coming...but still."

The Marlins average an MLB-low 18,241 paid fans per game.

That may change next season, when the Marlins are slated to open a brand new stadium with a retractable roof.

"As much as I would like to see a full ballpark every night, it's a unique experience here. You get to know people, get to know the ushers," Cohen said. "I worked in the Independent League, so I'm familiar with small crowds - 300 is a little extreme for the Major Leagues, of course - but with the new stadium, some of that atmosphere is going to go away."

Read more: Hurricane Irene, or poor baseball? Fan counts people in stands at Florida Marlins game, gets 347

Old 08-25-2011, 02:48 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Tomorrow the Angels begin the most important 3-game series in two years.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:53 PM
^^ must suck not to be in first place huh?

Quick Reply: The Major League Baseball Thread 2011