Notices
Sports NBA, NHL, NCAA, NFL, MLB, PGA & More at The Teamspeed Sports Forum.

Why don't BJJ guys wear wrestling headgear in practice?

Old 02-22-2011, 12:50 AM
Super Super Super Member!
Super D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond repute
Why don't BJJ guys wear wrestling headgear in practice?

I don't get this at all. It'd cut down on ear damage. And the low-profile designs now don't really add much to your head, so the argument about getting your head stuck because of the headgear doesn't seem so strong.

I was rolling with a couple of guys at my TKD school. One's a Gracie blue and the other a brown, and we all wore headgear.

Now at Team Quest, I don't see anyone wearing headgear.

Is it a macho thing? A little cauliflower ear is a badge of honor I suppose for a fighter, but when it gets bad, it looks like an anus on the side of your head. Really disgusting.

Can anyone 'splain this to me? There must be some rational explanation.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:58 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Heh Heh....He said "BJJ"....Heh Heh.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:12 AM
Teamspeed Pro
tips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond repute
lol at the anus coment

Old 02-22-2011, 09:38 AM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
LOL!

A long post could be made about the topic... Many BJJ guys love the look of having an anus on the side of their head. They'd rather give off the appearance of being "tough", as opposed to just knowing it. Sadly, a lot of guy really see it as a cosmetic positive.

Then, most BJJ guys do not really get their heads trapped enough to think about wearing wrestling head gear. They simply do not think about it. Guys with anus head typically lead with their heads, and they get caught; so they start to get the starfish in the ear.

I've been doing BJJ since 95, and have had no need for the head gear, although I'm not opposed to it. I just haven't needed it. I don't get caught in neck cranks, or have my ears raked often enough. I learned early on, don't lead with the head. Seconded only by where the head goes, the body follows; and that assured that I would do whatever to avoid getting someone latched onto my head.

I do see the guys who are "professionals" by day, using head gear more than even wrestlers who come to BJJ. Those of us who have to suit up in a Brooks Brothers kimino or the like, certainly don't want the anus head. So you'll see these guys using head gear.

Then there is just the stigma that wrestling and wrestlers bring to BJJ! There are many in BJJ that do not want to have anything to do with wrestling, simplistically speaking. Sad but true.

That is my incoherent, meandering rant for the day.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:27 PM
Super D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond repute
I already have one anus, no need for more.

Bri, can you show a couple vids from youtube demonstrating the style of someone who doesn't have cauliflower ear vs someone who does? It'd be interesting to see the difference in technique.

So far, most of the serious BJJ people I meet have it. So maybe they learn better technique later in their development and do most of the damage early on.

I met Andre Galvao last year. He's from Black House but also has his own training gym for BJJ specifically here in San Diego. Once TKD season is over, I'm going to him for a couple of lessons. He's a very talented guy, but definitely has some nice cauliflower going. If I'm a 50th of his skill in a few years, it would be amazing. Guy's like a monkey!

YouTube - Andre Galvao

Last edited by Super D; 02-22-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:34 PM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
Galvoa is one of my favorites!

And I think you would be surprised re: the "serious" people in BJJ that do not have CE. I've been grinding away, seriously, since 95; and do not have it. I think that some people just have a predisposition to it.

I can think of more "serious" players that do NOT have, than those who do.

Now, we could probably make a distinction between gi players and no-gi players. no-gi guys would probably have it more because the head is a natural handle to grab on to when there is no gi to work with.

Honestly, unless you're living nothing but a BJJ lifestyle, I do not think that you have much to worry about.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:40 PM
That Gi vs no-Gi is an interesting point, I didn't think of that, makes good sense.

You have real experience in this, I'm brand new, so whatever I say is from a complete newbie perspective and to be taken with an entire shaker of salt. Newbies are trouble, so many questions, few answers.

I wondered about what you said, if some have a greater predisposition to get it than others.

I get hurt all the time, so I'm guessing I'd be one of those people who gets it easily. I'm a wuss, I admit it.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:03 PM
TeH Ears
LOL!

Actually, it is the guys who do NOT ask questions that are a PIA!

Your question about CE actually raises a possibility of a great training discussion. It can be used to understand the role of body position, attacking, and defending.

Prior to getting into BJJ, I trained with a guy named Tim Catalfo, former Olympic Wrestler, VERY hold school MMA guy. He was also a chiropractor, so it approach to training was interesting from the stand point that there was a notion of protecting the head and neck to a greater degree than most others would consider.

So, when we working on shooting, arms were short, head and neck were not extended and or exposed. When you shoot on someone, it is whole body, going through your opponent. Do not give your opponent the leverage that you head can give to them; and by proxy, you keep your ears from getting ground into hamburger...

So you see, your simple question about CE, can lead to a much deeper discussion. It is not a dumb question. It is an excellent question.

There have been times where I was concerned that my ears were going to swell, but I iced them, and massaged them so that they did not get stiff, or allow fluid to build up. Could be that is how I've avoided it after all these years.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:42 PM
Teamspeed Pro
POWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Super D
I don't get this at all. It'd cut down on ear damage. And the low-profile designs now don't really add much to your head, so the argument about getting your head stuck because of the headgear doesn't seem so strong.

I was rolling with a couple of guys at my TKD school. One's a Gracie blue and the other a brown, and we all wore headgear.

Now at Team Quest, I don't see anyone wearing headgear.

Is it a macho thing? A little cauliflower ear is a badge of honor I suppose for a fighter, but when it gets bad, it looks like an anus on the side of your head. Really disgusting.

Can anyone 'splain this to me? There must be some rational explanation.
I don't consider it a badge of honor. My old roomate is a purple bet and looks like a jackass now because of his ears.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:13 PM
Choke - That would be a BJJ lesson I'd like to take! Knowing how to keep the head and neck from unwanted exposure. I know it sounds simple, but those are the simple, fundamental things a beginner like me needs to learn FIRST.

Right now, I'm just trying to learn how to transition from basic position to position. I get into situations where I think "O-kaaay...now I have no idea what to do...I kept him from going for the sub, now he can't move, but neither can I."

It's so much easier to judge what to do when you're watching someone else versus doing it yourself.

Regarding the last paragraph...Massaging, don't get stiff, avoid fluid. Seems like I've heard all that before. This is why I don't go for massages.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why don't BJJ guys wear wrestling headgear in practice?