Notices
Sports NBA, NHL, NCAA, NFL, MLB, PGA & More at The Teamspeed Sports Forum.

Andy Pettitte To Announce Retirement Friday - Cooperstown?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 08:02 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Andy Pettitte To Announce Retirement Friday - Cooperstown?

Does he deserve a ticket to Cooperstown?

Andy Pettitte To Retire Friday

For me, he just didn't win enough games. 240 games is not close to HOF standards.

But it is the HGH admissions and the involvement with Roger Clemens that really bothers me.

He can't escape that. No Hall of Fame for Pettitte.

Last edited by Barrister; 02-03-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:17 PM
Banned
C Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond repute
No chance! So sick of how diluted the HOF is in all major sports... I like this idea, 5 years after you retire you are either in the HOF or your not! If you have to think about it, your not in the HOF

Old 02-03-2011, 08:20 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
^ I agree about HOF dilution.

But the only problem with your proposal is that the Sports Writers who vote on the HOF are vindictive and indecisive sons of bitches.

They kept Don Sutton out of the HOF for years and he was a 300 game winner with over 3,000 strikeouts. That was purely spite.

But then they put Andre Dawson in and snub Dale Murphy.

You have to give these guys a few years to get it right.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:23 PM
Banned
C Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond repute
Oh Dana, don't even get me started on "who" chooses who gets in and who doesn't! I don't feel anyone who has not laced up,gloved up,put on pads, or handled a stick should be allowed to make such a prestigious decision... Don't get me wrong there are some AMAZING writers and sportscasters who never played and give a great deal to the game, but they still should not have the right to make the decision.

Rant over!

Old 02-03-2011, 10:22 PM
contract neg repper for hire
mafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by C Money
Oh Dana, don't even get me started on "who" chooses who gets in and who doesn't! I don't feel anyone who has not laced up,gloved up,put on pads, or handled a stick should be allowed to make such a prestigious decision... Don't get me wrong there are some AMAZING writers and sportscasters who never played and give a great deal to the game, but they still should not have the right to make the decision.

Rant over!
I agree and disagree. I agree in principal because I think the players should know best who is in the HOF. BUT, a lot of times it's the older HOFers that pretty much won't vote anyone in. They pretty much keep everyone out. I think the writers sometimes to a better job of comparing a player to his particular era. Older retired players I think tend to compare to their own playing days and say "he wouldn't have been a HOFer in my era". I like that it's a mix of opinions.

Anyway, with that being said, I agree that Pettite probably won't get in, but he has his postseason record going for him and that could give him a boost and some consideration. But if it took Bert Blyleven this long...I say no HOF for Pettite.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:47 PM
Banned
If Schilling gets in, they might as well BURN DOWN cooperstown!

Old 02-03-2011, 11:58 PM
Teamspeed Pro
The Blyleven comparison is a very good one.

Bert was a better pitcher for a lot longer than Pettitte.

I think Andy will have to be satisfied with a plaque in Monument Park.