Notices
Sports NBA, NHL, NCAA, NFL, MLB, PGA & More at The Teamspeed Sports Forum.

Reggie Bush to Forefit Heisman

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 11:38 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
StringerBell is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm not a fan of USC but Bush was truly unstoppable that year and was one of the most fun players to watch I've ever seen. Him giving it back doesn't really "tarnish" his image to me. He was a young kid who made a mistake but that doesn't take away from what he did on the field. And I don't think Vince Young should get it..it's been too long. That being said, I bet if the Heisman was given after the NC game then Vince would've won.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:56 AM
Teamspeed Pro
yzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond repute
The Heisman board said that the 2005 Heisman will remain vacant and not be re awarded.

From ESPN:
The Heisman Trophy Trust announced Wednesday that the 2005 Heisman will remain vacated following Reggie Bush's decision Tuesday to forfeit the award.

More from ESPN.com

Reggie Bush's misdeeds at USC don't warrant righteous indignation. His dissembling since he left does, writes Ivan Maisel. Story

"It was a difficult decision to return the Heisman Trophy and he exhibited great character in acknowledging his mistakes and accepting the consequences," the Heisman Trophy Trust said in a statement.

"As a result of Reggie Bush's decision to forfeit his title as Heisman winner of 2005, the Trustees have determined that there will be no Heisman Trophy winner for the year 2005," the statement read.

The Heisman Trophy Trust's decision means Vince Young, who finished a distant second to Bush in the 2005 voting, will not receive the trophy.

"I would not want to have it, and don't want the trophy," the Tennessee Titans quarterback told reporters on Wednesday. "Like I said, 2005 Reggie Bush is the Heisman Trophy winner. Why would I want it?"

Mike & Mike in the Morning

ESPN college football analyst Lou Holtz shares his thoughts on Reggie Bush, Denard Robinson and the upcoming college football games.

Under pressure since his award-winning 2005 campaign at USC was vacated, Bush said in a statement on Tuesday that he will forfeit the Heisman Trophy.

"One of the greatest honors of my life was winning the Heisman Trophy in 2005," the statement released by the New Orleans Saints read. "For me, it was a dream come true. But I know that the Heisman is not mine alone. Far from it. I know that my victory was made possible by the discipline and hard work of my teammates, the steady guidance of my coaches, the inspiration of the fans, and the unconditional love of my family and friends. And I know that any young man fortunate enough to win the Heisman enters into a family of sorts. Each individual carries the legacy of the award and each one is entrusted with its good name.

"It is for these reasons that I have made the difficult decision to forfeit my title as Heisman winner of 2005."

The NCAA passed down heavy sanctions on USC relating to improper benefits received by Bush and basketball player O.J. Mayo.

It was the first time college football's top award was returned by a recipient. One of the few guidelines given to Heisman Trophy voters is that a player must be in compliance with NCAA rules to be eligible for the trophy.

"Reggie's got to do what he's got to do on this stuff and make his determination," Bush's former college coach, Pete Carroll, said Wednesday.

"I support whatever he's doing. I'm sure he's figured it out and he's living it. I'm not really focused on it. There's nothing I can really do about that," the new Seattle Seahawks coach added. "All of our attention is on Denver and getting ready for the game. I wish him the best and hope they figure it all out."

Old 09-16-2010, 12:08 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Christian
I totally agree, but if you do not inforce the rules than everyone can do whatever the hell they want.
You can't selectively enforce the rules either. It's an all or nothing game here. Especially when millions of dollars are made of these players. If Bush were to be made the example it should have been an example of what needs to change and been treated as a catalyst for the NCAA to do a better job. Not just to throw the book at a certain player and hope it scares everyone else. The NCAA are like bad parents!

BTW, love your bike man!!

Old 09-16-2010, 08:50 PM
Teamspeed Pro
HBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Christian
Why shouldn't they. Bush played illegally the whole year, they are erasing his season. Vince Young was 2nd, if they are going to have a point system and runner up than it does go to VY.

Otherwise they should vote and conceal the points and not give 2nd, 3rd, etc etc and just give the winner the Heisman and be done with it.
You do a revote, those votes that went to reggie wouldn't all go to vince.....that year was the BIGGEST landslide ever for a winner