Notices
Sports NBA, NHL, NCAA, NFL, MLB, PGA & More at The Teamspeed Sports Forum.

Man United to sign its 1st Mexican player

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 04:17 PM
Teamspeed Pro
All We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond repute
Man United to sign its 1st Mexican player

MANCHESTER, England (AP)—Manchester United is set to sign its first Mexican player after agreeing to take striker Javier Hernandez from Chivas for next season.

United said on Thursday the Mexico international has passed a medical examination and will join for an undisclosed fee. The 21-year-old Hernandez will become a United player on July 1 if he is granted a work permit from the British government.

“I feel like I am living a dream,” Hernandez said. “All the impressions I have of the club are good and (manager) Sir Alex Ferguson is a great person, maybe the best coach in the world.”

Since making his Chivas debut in September 2006, Hernandez has scored 26 goals. He has four in four games for Mexico—two against Bolivia, and one each against North Korea and New Zealand.

“I am delighted to reach agreement with Chivas to bring such an exciting young striker, who has been in such prolific form for both his club and his country,” Ferguson said. “He will be a great addition to our squad and we look forward to welcoming our first Mexican player in the summer.”

As part of the deal, United will play a preseason friendly at Chivas’ new 45,000-seat stadium in Guadalajara in July—the first time the three-time European champions will have played in Mexico. United is also finalizing details of a tour of the United States in July.

Hernandez is known in Mexico by his nickname “Chicharito,” which translates roughly as “little sweet pea.” His father, who has the same name as his son, was known during his football career with Mexico club Tecos as “Chicharo,” or simply “sweet pea.”

Hernandez’s father was in Mexico’s 1986 World Cup squad as a reserve. His grandfather Tomas Balcazar played in the 1954 World Cup and scored once.

Hernandez, who turns 22 on June 1, scored eight goals in the first five games this season with Chivas, a Mexico first-division record.

He is in the middle of a break and will join the training camp set up next week for Mexico-based players who have been selected for the World Cup.

“I hope to be at the World Cup,” Hernandez said. “I have to work hard to win a place in the national team, then I might get a chance to play against England (in a friendly in May).”

The need for a new striking option has been highlighted by United’s reliance on Wayne Rooney, who had to play against Bayern Munich on Wednesday despite carrying an injured ankle that was hurt in the game as United was knocked out in the quarterfinals.

United won the game 3-2, but Bayern advanced on away goals after the score was locked at 4-4.

Hernandez will also be competing for a place up front with Michael Owen, who has had an injury-plagued first season at United, and 18-year-old Federico Macheda, who is still viewed as an impact substitute by Ferguson.

Four other Mexicans have featured prominently in the English Premier League in recent years: Carlos Vela for Arsenal, Jared Borgetti for Bolton, Guillermo Franco for West Ham and Giovani Dos Santos for Tottenham and Ipswich.
Anyone know anythig about this guy?

Old 04-08-2010, 05:13 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
InZane has a reputation beyond reputeInZane has a reputation beyond reputeInZane has a reputation beyond reputeInZane has a reputation beyond reputeInZane has a reputation beyond reputeInZane has a reputation beyond reputeInZane has a reputation beyond reputeInZane has a reputation beyond reputeInZane has a reputation beyond reputeInZane has a reputation beyond reputeInZane has a reputation beyond repute
Old 04-08-2010, 05:17 PM
Teamspeed Pro
All We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond repute
Looks pretty good.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:10 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Nice. I am a Chivista!!! If you live in SoCal, you HAVE to have a Mexican league team. I was practically raised by a lady from Ameca, Jalisco, so Chivas was the only choice...