Notices
Sports NBA, NHL, NCAA, NFL, MLB, PGA & More at The Teamspeed Sports Forum.

Coach K to the NETS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 11:31 AM
GLN
Thor Liked My Watch
GLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond repute
Coach K to the NETS!!!

ESPN Insider....

The Record is reporting that Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski is the top target for Mikhail Prokhorov and the Russian is going to make a massive offer.

According to the newspaper, the Nets offer could be between $12-15 million per season for Krzyzewski. He already turned down a five-year, $40 million deal to coach Kobe Bryant and the Los Angeles Lakers in 2004.

One subplot to this is that LeBron James has a good relationship with his Olympic coach and landing Krzyzewski could help sway James to leave the Cavaliers for the Nets. And it's clear the Russian is intent on -- if not getting a huge name -- showing that the franchise is willing to be aggressive.

Prokhorov's purchase of the Nets should get final approval by the NBA Board of Governors on April 16.

Word is Prokhorov wants to make a big-name splash with his first coaching hire. Back in February, Krzyzewski's name surfaced for the job, but he said: "No one's contacted me, and if they do, I think 'nyet' would be easy for me to say."

Would a bigger payday make Coach K change his mind?

As we noted yesterday, Amare Stoudemire is not counting himself out in the least for the Nets this summer, and cites their bright future as an attractive selling point.

If Stoudemire signs with the team this offseason, it could give any potential Nets coach more incentive to come to the team.

__________________________________________________ __________

What are your thoughts?

Personally, at 12-15 a year, I don't think there is anyway in hell he'd turn this down. 12M is very different from 8M as the Lakers once offered him. Secondly, if he wins the tourney this year - he'll have accomplished his main goal and leave on top. You're talking a minimum ~60M deal for Coach K to the Nets, plus ridiculous incentives (I'm sure), and his pick of players because Mikhail seems willing to go after anyone and anything...

This would be huge, and if we get Coach K, I definitely see Lebron in a Nets jersey.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:47 AM
Teamspeed Pro
MexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Wow! This will have the other owners' heads spinning around if he lands Coach K and LeBron right out of the box by getting out the big check book.

My guess would be neither will happen, but it will be interesting.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:53 AM
GLN
Thor Liked My Watch
GLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe I'm biased... but if Mikhail is sick enough to offer 12M+/per season to Coach K, who knows what he'll offer Lebron.

I see them both coming (if this is true.)

Old 04-05-2010, 12:14 PM
Teamspeed Pro
MexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Well, I think there is a max per year that he can offer LeBron, that any other team can offer also. I don't know the particulars. Maybe he can offer it until LeBron is 100. I don't know. But I do think there is structure in place to prevent him from just doubling or tripling what everyone else will pay.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:18 PM
Teamspeed Pro
joshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond repute
i don't think money is really an issue to Coach K. at this point in his life, i think hes loyal to the Dukies, and i can't see him leaving for any amount of money

Old 04-05-2010, 01:20 PM
GLN
Thor Liked My Watch
If he wins this year, he will be out 100%.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:41 PM
Teamspeed Pro
alkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond repute
this should be interesting. I'm looking forward to watching what will happen this off-season with all the big name free ages running around.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:48 PM
Teamspeed Pro
yzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GetLiquidNow
If he wins this year, he will be out 100%.
I could see that happening. He would be leaving with 4 National Championships tying Rupp but still 6 behind the magical Wooden with 10.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:14 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
FcarGo is infamous around these partsFcarGo is infamous around these partsFcarGo is infamous around these partsFcarGo is infamous around these partsFcarGo is infamous around these partsFcarGo is infamous around these partsFcarGo is infamous around these partsFcarGo is infamous around these partsFcarGo is infamous around these partsFcarGo is infamous around these partsFcarGo is infamous around these parts
According to an interview with Coach K today, this will not happen.

Mike Krzyzewski of Duke Blue Devils has "no interest" in New Jersey Nets job - ESPN

As a student at Chapel Hill I would be happy to see him go, but I do appreciate his loyalty.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:20 PM
GLN
Thor Liked My Watch
Originally Posted by FcarGo
According to an interview with Coach K today, this will not happen.

Mike Krzyzewski of Duke Blue Devils has "no interest" in New Jersey Nets job - ESPN

As a student at Chapel Hill I would be happy to see him go, but I do appreciate his loyalty.
You think Coach K is going to admit he's interested in a job while he is currently playing for the Championship? Not a chance.

What will happen with Mikhail and Coach K speak, will be entirely different than the speculation right now.

Quick Reply: Coach K to the NETS!!!