Notices
Sports NBA, NHL, NCAA, NFL, MLB, PGA & More at The Teamspeed Sports Forum.

Orlando/UBC/Chris Cali/ETC

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 10:56 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
^I will give ya that Jarod, I get a little caught up with my "Gators" at times, but do not only point the blame at me.

It's all good

Old 11-03-2009, 12:24 AM
Banned
SoCal is an unknown quantity at this point
Why can't we all just enjoy College football and not make it personal? I don't care if you are a Ducks, Gators, Bruins, or Trojans fan; if you are a good person and act like you weren't raised in a cave somewhere, I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt. We are all on this site for one reason or another, none of which is bashing each other over a football rivalry. I would like to say that we are all capable of being respectful of one anothers position on a matter, but when it gets personal, the line needs to be drawn. It is just a GAME, don't forget that. Busting balls is fine, but bashing and attacking one another is not mature, no matter how you try to justify it. My $0.02.

USC is still the f'ing best though...

Last edited by SoCal; 11-03-2009 at 06:13 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:14 AM
Teamspeed Pro
U-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond repute
Wall Street Journal is still calling the Pac-10 the toughest conference in the whole land:

Good for Oregon, Bad for the Pac-10
Why Arguably the Nation's Strongest Conference Might Not Earn Two BCS Bids

By DARREN EVERSON

Now that Oregon has done what no team could do for the better part of a decade – dominate Southern California – perhaps now the oft-overlooked Pac-10 Conference will finally get some respect.

Or perhaps not. For the seventh straight season, the Pac-10 still might miss out on a second Bowl Championship Series bid. That's unfortunate, for the conference has emerged as not only the deepest in the country this season, but also the most deserving.

Consider this: Where might No. 7 Oregon be in the polls today if the Ducks hadn't visited Boise State in their season-opener – that is, if they scheduled like Florida, Texas and most other major programs?

No. 2 Texas has now virtually assured itself of reaching the national-title game by beating two opponents of note, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. Both are major disappointments that faced the Longhorns without their best player. Texas's four remaining opponents – Central Florida, Baylor, Kansas and Texas A&M – aren't much of a challenge. All are struggling just to reach a bowl. And whomever the Big 12 North tosses out as a divisional "champion" will give the 'Horns no reasons to quake in their boots.

Likewise, Florida's schedule thus far still consists of just two teams with winning records: LSU and Troy.

Alabama is an exception. A major reason the Crimson Tide remains No. 1 in our estimation (see below) is because of its neutral-site victory over Virginia Tech, a losable non-conference game that provides an extra data point by which to measure Alabama. And granted, Texas was impressive in its 41-14 victory at Oklahoma State Saturday. It may well be that the Longhorns would've fared better at Boise State than Oregon did in its ugly 19-8 loss.

But we'll never know, since Texas didn't dare try. So the fact remains: The only difference today between Oregon and Texas is that the Ducks opened their season against a ranked team that entered that game on a 49-game regular-season home winning streak, while Texas took on Louisiana-Monroe. Oregon also plays in a tougher league: The Pac-10 has four ranked teams, one more than both the Big 12 and Southeastern conferences, even though those leagues are larger. Give Oregon a Sun Belt Conference cupcake to open the season instead, and the Ducks and Longhorns are likely neck-and-neck in the Bowl Championship Series standings. If anything, the Ducks would get the edge due to strength-of-schedule.

Unlike other major conferences, schools in the Pac-10 play rigorous schedules, largely out of necessity. With more fickle fan bases, the West Coast teams can't assume that pabulum games against Charleston Southern and Florida International will draw fans in droves. So USC played Ohio State and Notre Dame this season. Oregon's portfolio includes a victory over No. 17 Utah in addition to the 47-20 rout of the Trojans.

One cannot understate how jarring that score was. The 27-point loss marked USC's largest since 1997, during John Robinson's lamentable second term. It also arguably marked the first time in five years that anyone, in-conference or out, had even outplayed the Trojans. The last time a USC opponent significantly outgained the Trojans was 2004, when USC overcame a 219-yard deficit in its down-to-the-wire 23-17 victory over Aaron Rodgers and Cal. Before Saturday, four USC foes since then had outgained the Trojans, none by more than 31 yards. Oregon did so by 286 yards.

The Ducks were so good, they might've done their conference a disservice. With the Trojans losing so decisively, it's conceivable they could even be left out of the Bowl Championship Series entirely.

With eight BCS bids all but accounted for – six will go to conference champions, one (in all likelihood) to TCU or Boise State and one almost certainly to the SEC title-game loser – that leaves two at-large bids. Penn State (8-1) should grab one should it finish 11-1. If not, Ohio State, with games left against Penn State and Iowa, could sneak in by winning out. No conference has received second bids more often than the Big Ten, which has done so eight times in the BCS's 11 years. And then there's Notre Dame. If the Fighting Irish can just meet the requirements (nine wins, although Notre Dame would likely need 10, and a position 14th or better in the final standings), they would be a threat to receive one as well, given Notre Dame's popularity.

Such a scenario would be galling to USC, which routed Penn State in the Rose Bowl last season, beat Ohio State this season and last and has beaten Notre Dame eight straight times. It wouldn't be an unfamiliar fate, though, to the Pac-10, which had the best bowl-game record of the major conferences over the last five seasons, yet still seems to have to prove itself annually.

Last edited by U-Boat Commander; 11-03-2009 at 02:19 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:24 AM
Teamspeed Pro
JarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by U Boat Commander
Wall Street Journal is still calling the Pac-10 the toughest conference in the whole land:
Article doesn't make much sense IMO. If anything it gives a bunch of reasons why the Pac-10 isn't the top tier conference. They are forced to play "bigger named" programs outside the conference because there aren't that many in the Pac-10.

Beside USC, Oregon and Cal, who is there? I don't even think Cal is consistently a top-15 team, whereas conferences like the Big-12 and SEC typically have 2-3 very legitimate top 10 teams (Texas, Oklahoma, Florida, LSU, Alabama), and second tier programs like Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, South Carolina, Georgia, Auburn that IMO are better than Stanford, UCLA, Arizona, Washington, etc.

I think based on the last five to ten years, if you wanted to rank conferences most people would agree it would go something like SEC, then the Big-12 followed closely by the Pac-10. The only reason I give the nod to the Big-12 over the Pac-10 would be the last time USC was in the championship game, they lost IMO, the best football game I have ever seen, to Texas.

Last edited by JarodL; 11-03-2009 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:02 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
This thread is why Christian is on my permanent ignore list.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:49 PM
Banned
SoCal is an unknown quantity at this point
I need to do that as well. His posts piss me off...

Old 11-03-2009, 04:43 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
Come on Cali, have a sense of humor.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:47 PM
Teamspeed Pro
MiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by U Boat Commander
So it must be true . .

Old 11-03-2009, 07:38 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
orlando333 has a reputation beyond reputeorlando333 has a reputation beyond reputeorlando333 has a reputation beyond reputeorlando333 has a reputation beyond reputeorlando333 has a reputation beyond reputeorlando333 has a reputation beyond reputeorlando333 has a reputation beyond reputeorlando333 has a reputation beyond reputeorlando333 has a reputation beyond reputeorlando333 has a reputation beyond reputeorlando333 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
This thread is why Christian is on my permanent ignore list.
How does one do that?

Old 11-03-2009, 08:28 PM
Teamspeed Pro
^Come on guys, have a sense of humor, it's just a game.

USC will be in a Bowl Game, don't sweat it