Notices
Sports NBA, NHL, NCAA, NFL, MLB, PGA & More at The Teamspeed Sports Forum.

Michael Jordan hall of fame speech

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 09:01 PM
Teamspeed Pro
theprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond repute
Hi,

Fair call mate, I was born a year after he joined the league. I just don't think it was as bad as has been portrayed. If you've watched the speech and made that assessment, that's cool with me mate.

FWIW I agree with you.

Cheers,
Nik

Old 09-12-2009, 09:03 PM
Seriously. Change it.
BigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond repute
No worries Nik.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:22 PM
ATL
Teamspeed Pro
ATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond repute
That writer made it seem way worse than it was. It definitely wasn't like Jon Stockton's speech and it's definitely apparent that he has some insecurities and bitterness.

excerpt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WNE5...eature=related

Last edited by ATL; 09-12-2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:44 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond repute
While some parts were unwarranted I do not think it was half as bad as it is being made out to be. I laughed at many parts and though overall it was pretty good. He took a different approach to the speech and kept it somewhat light and humorous at times and people don't like that. I can understand but I do not agree.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:50 PM
Teamspeed Pro
The Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think it is as bad as the Yahoo writer made it out to be.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:51 PM
Teamspeed Pro
The Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BigE
^With all due respect, I have been a huge NBA fan since the early 80's and have never been a big fan of MJ for many of the reasons stated above. I admire the player, do not like the person. I did not formulate my opinion of MJ or his speech based on what one columnist from Yahoo sports wrote. I watched the speech.

The speech was a microcosm of his ego, off-court personna and self-absorbed nature.
Can you give an example of a time that he was like this? Other than that speech, of course.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:52 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
forhamilton has a reputation beyond reputeforhamilton has a reputation beyond reputeforhamilton has a reputation beyond reputeforhamilton has a reputation beyond reputeforhamilton has a reputation beyond reputeforhamilton has a reputation beyond reputeforhamilton has a reputation beyond reputeforhamilton has a reputation beyond reputeforhamilton has a reputation beyond reputeforhamilton has a reputation beyond reputeforhamilton has a reputation beyond repute
Yup. He tried to be funny and struck out. Maybe he is arrogant. Probably arrogant. Just a blip on the radar of his career.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:53 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
The guy is a insecure pompass ass who does not know how to accept a compliment

Christian

Old 09-13-2009, 02:01 AM
Seriously. Change it.
BigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by The Doctor
Can you give an example of a time that he was like this? Other than that speech, of course.
I find it hard to believe that after a life of being humble, gracious, appreciative and magnanimous, he would suddenly have a bad moment during one of the most important speeches in his life. His golden public personna during his playing days was the result of an incredibly well managed public image combined with "handling his business in-house." It is widely known that MJ was a degenerate gambler, a womanizer/adulterer, and a notorious bully to his team mates.

I do not agree that atheletes should be subject to the level of "hero worship" they need to uphold to maintain their huge endorsement contracts, however, the hero worship does occur, and many people want to believe that their athelete heroes are perfect and above reproach in nearly every aspect of their lives.

Personally, I find it sad and pathetic that the greatest individual player in NBA history cannot find it within himself to be humble, gracious and appreciative of everyone who helped him get there. Rather, he chose to be arrogant, conceited, self-important and bitter....unable to come to terms with his current place in the world.

Among the truly great leader/atheletes of all time, MJ's Hall of Fame speech will rank among the worst in history.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:04 AM
Teamspeed Pro

Quick Reply: Michael Jordan hall of fame speech