Notices
Sports NBA, NHL, NCAA, NFL, MLB, PGA & More at The Teamspeed Sports Forum.

Ron Artest Headed To The Lakers

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 02:47 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Ron Artest Headed To The Lakers

I think this could be a bad move. We shall see.

I have a feeling BigE won't like this . . . .

NBA free agency: Ron Artest says he's leaving Houston Rockets for Los Angeles Lakers - ESPN

Last edited by Barrister; 07-03-2009 at 02:54 AM.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:56 AM
Teamspeed Pro
The Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond repute
Why is it a bad move? Artest is a decent player.

Old 07-03-2009, 03:36 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
But Artest can be a difficult personality. Combine that with the "LA scene" and it could be highly combustible.

Also, I think keeping Ariza would have been the better move.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:28 AM
Teamspeed Pro
thedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Barrister
But Artest can be a difficult personality. Combine that with the "LA scene" and it could be highly combustible.

Also, I think keeping Ariza would have been the better move.
While keeping Ariza would have been a great move, the Lakers needed to make a move. They couldn't stand pat, as every contender in the league was looking to add important pieces to make a run at the title.

Ariza, and his crook of an agent, decided to come out guns blazing. Saying Ariza was worth 8-9 million. His Agent is a bit of an idiot, likes to use the media to put pressure on a team... he did it last year with Andrew Bynum. This time though, the Lakers had an Ace. Because they knew Artest has been waiting to play with the Lakers for a long time, and would take the MLE to play.

This does two things. The most important thing being, the re-signing of Lamar Odom. With Artest taking a bit more than the MLE, the Lakers have the money to retain both Lamar Odom and Shannon Brown. This would not have been possible with Ariza demanding a substantial pay raise.

Also, I believe Artest is a upgrade over Ariza. He is better offensively and defensively. While Ariza was a bit more athletic and younger... Artest is the best one on one defender in the league, is a great 3-point shooter, and has a great back to the basket game.

Ariza's success last year was a product of great coaching, a great system, and playing with players that gave him open look, after open look. I'm not saying he's not a good player, but he did benefit from the players he played with. Artest will benefit the same way, and will be taking tons of pressure off of Kobe, when he checks the premiere players on the other teams.

In the End, the Lakers rolled the dice a bit. Artest can be a volatile player... but as he proved in Sacramento, then in Houston. When he is playing for a coach and team he respects. He plays with passion, and brings it every game.

Unfortunately, I think Ariza'a agent is at fault for the situation. He tried muscling the Lakers by airing his laundry in the media. The Lakers just called his bluff, and had the better hand.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:12 AM
Seriously. Change it.
BigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by thedude
While keeping Ariza would have been a great move, the Lakers needed to make a move. They couldn't stand pat, as every contender in the league was looking to add important pieces to make a run at the title.

Ariza, and his crook of an agent, decided to come out guns blazing. Saying Ariza was worth 8-9 million. His Agent is a bit of an idiot, likes to use the media to put pressure on a team... he did it last year with Andrew Bynum. This time though, the Lakers had an Ace. Because they knew Artest has been waiting to play with the Lakers for a long time, and would take the MLE to play.

This does two things. The most important thing being, the re-signing of Lamar Odom. With Artest taking a bit more than the MLE, the Lakers have the money to retain both Lamar Odom and Shannon Brown. This would not have been possible with Ariza demanding a substantial pay raise.

Also, I believe Artest is a upgrade over Ariza. He is better offensively and defensively. While Ariza was a bit more athletic and younger... Artest is the best one on one defender in the league, is a great 3-point shooter, and has a great back to the basket game.

Ariza's success last year was a product of great coaching, a great system, and playing with players that gave him open look, after open look. I'm not saying he's not a good player, but he did benefit from the players he played with. Artest will benefit the same way, and will be taking tons of pressure off of Kobe, when he checks the premiere players on the other teams.

In the End, the Lakers rolled the dice a bit. Artest can be a volatile player... but as he proved in Sacramento, then in Houston. When he is playing for a coach and team he respects. He plays with passion, and brings it every game.

Unfortunately, I think Ariza'a agent is at fault for the situation. He tried muscling the Lakers by airing his laundry in the media. The Lakers just called his bluff, and had the better hand.
QFT. Took the words right out of my mouth.

Winning has a way of bringing the best out of people. This is not Houston, Sacramento or even Indiana. This is Phil Jackson and Kobe on the reigning champs. This is a close, tight knit team that has the best player in the game and the best coach in the history of the game. Artest needs the Lakers more than the Lakers need him. Phil will not hesitate to send him to the end of the bench if he acts up.

If this works, the Lakers will have added one of the game's absolute meanest, nastiest and best defenders to take the defensive pressure off Kobe. I have never been a fan of Artest' psycho antics, so I will admit that I am skeptical. However, I don't think Phil would allow this to happen if he felt Artest was uncoachable. If Artest turns into another Rodman, he will be the key piece in the Lakers winning another 2 or 3 titles over the next 3 years.

By listening to his agent, Ariza just made the biggest mistake he will ever make. He will be asked to shoulder the load of a #2 or #3 option in Houston, and that is not his forte. He was the ideal #4 or #5 option on offense and a strong defensive presence on defense on the Lakers.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:13 AM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
F#cking Bullsh!t

Old 07-03-2009, 10:18 AM
Teamspeed Pro
thedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JC919
F#cking Bullsh!t
Sorry JC. I assume your a houston fan. And it sucks to see your team get dismantled, as they are a team I liked and respected... especially your coach, who I think should have been coach of the year last year. Yao, Artest, Battier, and the other hard working players on that team were easy to root for. You guys still get a great player in Ariza, and I'm pretty sure Houston isn't gonna stand pat, while the landscape of the West only continues to get tougher. Look for them to make a couple more moves.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:18 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Good yahoo article about how Ariza's agent overplayed his hand...

Lakers look to Artest to fill dramatic role - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

Old 07-03-2009, 12:18 PM
ATL
Teamspeed Pro
ATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond repute
Great acquisition in terms of talent but Artest is a loose cannon and it should be interesting to see how he does in the LA spotlight. Ugh, I have a bad feeling about him. Great athlete but there are definitely some issues there. The only saving grace is having Phil Jackson and Kobe Bryant putting him in his place.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:41 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by ATL
Great acquisition in terms of talent but Artest is a loose cannon and it should be interesting to see how he does in the LA spotlight. Ugh, I have a bad feeling about him. Great athlete but there are definitely some issues there. The only saving grace is having Phil Jackson and Kobe Bryant putting him in his place.
I would have agreed if this was 5 seasons ago. But he has behaved ever since he started playing for Rick Adelman, which leads me to believe he needs to respect the coach he is playing for.

I agree with you though, the Lakers are rolling the dice... but I think it'll work out.

Quick Reply: Ron Artest Headed To The Lakers