Notices
Sports NBA, NHL, NCAA, NFL, MLB, PGA & More at The Teamspeed Sports Forum.

Kobe for MVP

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 09:45 AM
Seriously. Change it.
BigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond repute
Kobe for MVP

I know LeBron is leading his team toward one of the best records in the East, and having an amazing year while doing so. Dwayne Wade is singlehandedly carrying the Heat to respectability.

Kobe is surrounded by amazing talent, but, aside from Gasol, most of these guys were effectively underachievers with other teams, and were given up or let go by their previous teams. Ariza, Odom, Powell, Mbenga. Fisher is a great locker room leader and one of the unsung heroes off the court. Ariza has emerged as the "Rick Fox" of this Laker team.

If anyone has watched Kobe this year (I watch almost every game thanks to DirecTV league pass) he has taken that "next step" to Jordan-ism. A majority of the time he is letting his team mates shoulder the load for most of the game, but anytime the Lakers need a play, a run of 10 points, a defensive stop, Kobe does it. Every time. He has also finally figured out how to inspire his team mates to greatness without being an a-hole about it. These guys are playing great basketball because they truly do not want to let Kobe down. Just like Magic's team mates, Bird's and Jordan's.

KOBE FOR MVP!!!!!!

Old 03-13-2009, 01:47 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
I was listening to some good commentary on ESPN. The guy basically said it has to be Kobe or LeBron - they are the two guys other teams build gameplans around... And since I'm a Laker fan FOR LIFE, it's gotta be Kobe!

Old 03-13-2009, 02:08 PM
Teamspeed Pro
alkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond repute
I'd have to respectfully disagree.
Dwayne Wade for MVP

Old 03-13-2009, 02:15 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Mayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond repute
They both equally deserve it in my opinion.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:00 PM
Teamspeed Pro
HBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by alkyoneus
Dwayne Wade for MVP

funny stuff

Old 03-13-2009, 07:00 PM
Teamspeed Pro
thedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by alkyoneus
Dwayne Wade for MVP
Sorry buddy... but you can't change the standard that has been set when they gave Nash back to back mvp's. Kobe got robbed of 3-4 mvp's because of the BS rule that the player to win MVP had to be a on a 50-win team.

With that being said, I like Dwade... and he ballin up because he has to. Just like Kobe had to when he didn't have help. Go look up the season Kobe had his 81 point game... and then tell me Nash should have won the MVP. It's not fair, but thats just the way it is.

With all this being said Lebron and Kobe should be fighting till the end of the regular season for this. Yes, I am biased, I'm a rabid laker fan. But at the same time, Kobe and the lakers are 4-0 against the Celts and Cav's... while Lebron has been terrible against the Lakers and Celtics. And Kobe has his team with the best record in the West, with the best road record in the L, and the best record on back 2 backs.

The cav's are in the Leastern Conf.... they have a great home record, but their road record is weak compared to the elite teams, and like I mentioned above, their record against the elite teams isn't that great.

In the end, its going to come down to who has their team with the best record in the League. Just like last year... when Kobe and CP3 were going at it... and Kobe bitched-slapped the Hornets on national television, and won the west.

Either way, I really don't care about the MVP... let LBJ win it.

I'm sure Kobe feels the same way.... he would much rather have a championship trophy. It's the only thing that matters.

Go LAkers!!!

Last edited by thedude; 03-13-2009 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:07 PM
Teamspeed Pro
thedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
I was listening to some good commentary on ESPN. The guy basically said it has to be Kobe or LeBron - they are the two guys other teams build gameplans around... And since I'm a Laker fan FOR LIFE, it's gotta be Kobe!
Hell yea!

Eff the MVP... Kobe could care less, he has is eyes set on the real prize!

Old 03-13-2009, 07:14 PM
Seriously. Change it.
BigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by thedude
With all this being said Lebron and Kobe should be fighting till the end of the regular season for this. Yes, I am biased, I'm a rabid laker fan. But at the same time, Kobe and the lakers are 4-0 against the Celts and Cav's... while Lebron has been terrible against the Lakers and Celtics. And Kobe has his team with the best record in the West, with the best road record in the L, and the best record on back 2 backs.
LeBron will have plenty of MVP's. He does not deserve it this year. Your answer lies above. Also, during the Olympic finals against Spain, when the game was close towards the end and both Kobe and LeBron were on the floor, who did they give the ball to? Who made the big shots? Who took the big shots? Who made the big plays? Who did the other players defer to?

In every big Laker win this season (and there have been many), especially during this crucial stretch run (most notably against Houston and San Antonio back-to-back) Kobe put the daggers in, Kobe killed the other team's run, Kobe did whatever it took to win.

The MVP award should not be about big stats, nor should it be a popularity contest. It is about the best player on one of the best teams. Coming through when needed. Doing whatever it takes on the court and in the locker room.

Kobe has shown he is more valuable than LeBron in head to head matchups, and in the Olympics. Dwade is having a nice run, but it sort of reminds me of the year Kobe had a few years ago when he averaged 35, and went for 40 something like 12 games in a row.

Yes I am a Laker homer and a HUGE Laker fan. This one is obvious!!!!!! KOBE FOR MVP!!!!! LAKERS ALL THE WAY!!!!!

Old 03-13-2009, 07:22 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by BigE
LeBron will have plenty of MVP's. He does not deserve it this year. Your answer lies above. Also, during the Olympic finals against Spain, when the game was close towards the end and both Kobe and LeBron were on the floor, who did they give the ball to? Who made the big shots? Who took the big shots? Who made the big plays? Who did the other players defer to?

In every big Laker win this season (and there have been many), especially during this crucial stretch run (most notably against Houston and San Antonio back-to-back) Kobe put the daggers in, Kobe killed the other team's run, Kobe did whatever it took to win.

The MVP award should not be about big stats, nor should it be a popularity contest. It is about the best player on one of the best teams. Coming through when needed. Doing whatever it takes on the court and in the locker room.

Kobe has shown he is more valuable than LeBron in head to head matchups, and in the Olympics. Dwade is having a nice run, but it sort of reminds me of the year Kobe had a few years ago when he averaged 35, and went for 40 something like 12 games in a row.

Yes I am a Laker homer and a HUGE Laker fan. This one is obvious!!!!!! KOBE FOR MVP!!!!! LAKERS ALL THE WAY!!!!!
100% agree buddy. It's the intangibles. I can't stand stat mongers like Hollinger, who sit there and try to make a case by looking at stats... it's borderline insanity.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:18 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
wmasters is a jewel in the roughwmasters is a jewel in the roughwmasters is a jewel in the roughwmasters is a jewel in the roughwmasters is a jewel in the roughwmasters is a jewel in the roughwmasters is a jewel in the roughwmasters is a jewel in the roughwmasters is a jewel in the roughwmasters is a jewel in the roughwmasters is a jewel in the rough
I do agree that Kobe is one of the front runners for MVP. But to be MVP means to be the Most Valuable Player on the team IMO. Yes Kobe has always been a clutch performer, but it hasn't been till this year that you can truely consider him a team player. I'm neither a great fan of the Lakers or Cavs, but having seen multiple games by both teams, I'd have to say that Kobe has a lot more talent surrounding him, and making it easier to be great. Lebron does not have a potentially dominating center in Bynum, an all star power forward in Gasol, and an extremely talented small forward in Odom. Just look at the number of triple doubles Lebron has and that alone speaks volume about what he is doing for his team. If the definition of MVP is for most valuable player for their team, then I'd have to cast my vote for Lebron at this point.

Quick Reply: Kobe for MVP